Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone else not have pesach dishes?
Previous  1  2  3

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 6:52 am
been making pesach from the getgo so it was worth it to buy stuff - nothing expensive ... even managed to find a matzah cover for very cheap - like $5 or $10 - because the embroidery was a little less than perfect ...

OP get a proper matzah cover - it'll make the difference - and then if you can't afford s/t cheap like corelle (they actually make really nice ones) and cheaper if you buy at walmart too ... then go for nice paper/disposables (imho those expensive plastics are not worth it and the monies could go towards a lasting set) ...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 6:59 am
We don't really have dishes. We have keilim to cook with, but no dishes/utensils to eat with. We have a variety of small kitchen appliances. I think this year is the first year we have a kos for dh.
We haven't made siddurim at home though ever, nor had guests for the few meals we've been home.

Seraph

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 7:17 am
I dont have milchigs and I have mix and match fleishigs. I think if you plan on making pesach for more than one year, it pays to invest in real dishes, because then its just a one time expense, as opposed to a yearly disposables expense. But bec we dont use so many milchigs on pesach, we use disposasble for now. I learned the seder you are supposed to use your best everything, so since I use real on shabbos during the year, I'd feel funny using plastic for the seder.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 8:03 am
We just got a check from an irgun chessed, so if the groceries we need are covered by the tlushim we already got, maybe I might get some dishes this year! Smile
I'll see what the local dollar store has. My year round fish plates are from there.

Seraph

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 8:19 am
Just FYI, I find the dollar store to be a bad place to get dishes. There you pay a dollar per dish, which often ends up being more expensive for a "set" than if you would have bought a cheap set somewhere else.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
We just got a check from an irgun chessed, so if the groceries we need are covered by the tlushim we already got, maybe I might get some dishes this year! Smile
I'll see what the local dollar store has. My year round fish plates are from there.

If you're in israel try a large cheap supermarket. We saw a lot of cheap stuff in "Yesh" in Yerushalayim.
Also a lot of stores have geat sales on houseware. Go to Na'aman, or any other store that carries their stuff (like Sheshet etc.) they might have sets for 150 NIS or less (don't remember prices). Even homecenter or Ace carry a lot of houseware that is inexpensive.

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 12:36 pm
I bought nice Pesach dishes when I was engaged and got lots of wine glasses and cutlery sets as wedding gifts, but I agree with another poster who said this is my Yom Tov -- I spend a ton of time cooking and washing pots, etc., I can get very nice disposables that look very pretty and I can go to sleep after the seder without having to worry about spending hours washing up. When we made aliyah, all those dishes went into my parents' storage room and I bought heavy plastic stuff at Walmart for 4/$1.00, and this year I even found plastic kiddush cups that look exactly like my real silver ones!

http://www.shturem.org/index.p.....34792

Aribenj

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 1:24 pm
I went on Overstock.com a few years ago and bought a beautiful set for 12 people for REALLY cheap. Its worth looking into...

pecan

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 5:29 pm
I don't have dishes. I use paper year round and it makes life much easier. We will be using paper goods only.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 6:33 pm
pecan wrote:
I don't have dishes. I use paper year round and it makes life much easier. We will be using paper goods only.

you don't use real dishes ever?

wow.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics