Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Getting baby BACK on bottle (after they have stopped)

queen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 9:59 am
began my baby on formula/bottle at around 10 weeks. She was doing great until about 3 weeks ago when she suddenly stopped. She'll cry endlessly at the sitter, but refuses the bottle. When milk is squeezed into her mouth she wont swallow.

spoke with my labor coach who's very knowledgable in these areas who suggested the following, but Id like your opinion:

She said it is VERY hard, but possible as baby knows how to drink from bottle, but rather prefers the breast.
Process could take as short as 2 days, or up to one week. She will cry A LOT and it will be very stressful on the parents, but for those mothers who must return to work- this might be of help.

YOU MUST SPEAK WITH YOUR BABIES DOCTOR FIRST, AND SEE HOW LONG BABY SAFELY CAN GO WITHOUT EATING, as baby will refuse bottle in the beginning and you have to keep trying until she takes it.

METHOD:
when baby is ready to eat- hold her in the same way as if you were nursing, and hold bottle that the nipple comes to the baby as if it was the breast. Baby will probably refuse. KEEP TRYING for about 5-6 minutes.

Then give baby a break, and take her mind off of it. play with a toy/put her down on her mat etc. GIve her 10-15 minutes rest. then try again. It can take HOURS until baby will finally give in and drink, and therefore you must check with doctor to see how long you can go.

Don't stop to burp her, just keep on going as baby might not go back to bottle as she is still 'new' at returning to drink from it.

It might help to walk around with baby (vs. sitting) while trying to get baby to drink. Try to distract baby with toys... while trying to get her to latch onto bottle.

This trying process should be done about 3 times each day. and hopefully within 2-7 days your baby will be taking a bottle again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work from home, and sitter isn't far from my house.
That being said it is not imperative that baby drinks from a bottle, however the consequence would be baby and me not being separate for more than 3 hours until baby is one years old.

Just thinking about having my baby cry A LOT, just in order to eat breaks my heart.

what are your thoughts about the above?????

stem

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 11:23 am
My kids never took a bottle and I would be totally tied down to them for a year. I would have to come home from weddings and bar mitzvas to nurse the baby and put them to sleep. I could never leave the house for more than 2.5 hours, I had to give up on certain long events, etc.
Was it easy? No. But I gave birth to them, so I felt that I should prioritize my needs/wants according to theirs. As they get older they can wait a bit more in between feedings, so it does get easier.

queen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 11:27 am
so stem- is it your opinion that it would be cruel to force her back onto a bottle???????

nicole81

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 11:57 am
did the person you spoke with suggest YOU try this? if I were a baby, there's no way I would go for second best if the first best was right there in front of my face. I assume this would be most effective if someone else try the strategy aside from the mother.

stem

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 1:19 pm
In my opinion, it would not be nice to force something on a baby unless you truley have no other choice. Babies are little people, and like us, they have feelings and they know what they like and what they want. If you try this method of forcing the baby just teaches her to despair, give up, etc. I believe the same regarding letting baby cry it out at night. It teaches the baby to give up. Sad
Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that's what I believe!

hisorerus

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 1:41 pm
I wouldn't have the heart to do it.

daisy

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:09 pm
I agree with Stem.

Please go with your heart on this one (don't let it break) you won't regret it. Smile

raizy

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 8:50 pm
my mother always said if the baby is hungry they will eat. that said . I dont accect a baby who doesnt take a bottle. it is too cruel for the baby and babysitter. I did have one baby who cried and cried. for hrs. she didnt take a bottle.

I suggest if your baby doesnt take a bottle STAY HOME . I hate it when the mother drive themselves crazy . run here and there . without the baby and alway . they are stressed that the baby has to eat.if u have anursing baby . stay close to it...

that is just my personnal opion on this subject.

Ahuva

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 8:58 pm
My sister had a very hard time getting her dd to take a bottle until she found this bottle

http://www.onestepahead.com/pr......html

it has a breast-like shape and feel that babies accept more readily. You might wanna try it.

queen

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 7:00 pm
I agree w/ all of you who suggest listening to my baby, and not forcing.... besides- I wouldn't have the heart to listen to my baby cry for food.

raizy- you are coming from a day car/babysitters view- and I und'd why you wouldn't want a baby that doesn't 'bottle.' you can't be left w/o a way to pacify a crying baby.

all this being said- I'm lucky to work from home and live a couple minutes drive from the sitter. I'm available to literally hop in the car as soon as I get the call that she's ready to eat.

I posted this to help those that must return to work, and don't share the same flexability as I.

raizy

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 10:47 pm
then do what four other ladies did inmy day care. they for a few days gave the bottle till the baby took it and drank a few onces out of it. after that I "thought"the baby more to take the bottle . all of them take the bottle now. and one is even 22 months and still nursing at home but in my house she eats and takes a bottle.

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:41 am
That sounds really hard on a baby! In an emergency situation, yes you do what you have to but if there are other alternatives try to find them! Is your baby old enough for baby food?

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:53 am
Raizy-- are you saying that those four mothers in your group forced the bottle on the baby? If they had to go to work, there is no other option.

BH I am able to run & feed baby while at sitter- I feed before going, once at the sitter, and then I feed again, at the sitter- right before going home.... and this is Mon-Thurs.

baby probably could begin baby food, but I'd like to strictly nurse as long as it's healthy and ok for baby.

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:55 am
If it was my baby (provided that the baby is the right age) I would faster start the baby on baby food than have the baby take a bottle only b/c s/he is too starving to be upset that it is a bottle. JMHO! Smile

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:16 am
mommyabc123- were you directing your comment to me?????
bec. as I said, I'm going to continue nursing her and skip the bottle.

the only thing I wonder about is the link ahuva posted as that bottle does look like a great shape. with shipping comes out to $20. is it worth a try?

hisorerus

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:28 am
I would go for it, queen! If it works, you'll be thrilled, and if not, at least you won't regret never trying.

realeez

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 11:04 am
queen, no I got that you were planning to keep up with the nursing!
I just meant that for me, if it came to a choice b/w forcing a bottle or starting solids a little b4 I intended I'd definitely rather the solids. out there are some people who are so against solids that they'd do anything to wait until as late as possible. it was more of a general comment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics