Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How are you frugal?
Previous  1  2  3

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:12 pm
Bargain shop almost everything.

Take my own lunch to work......reuse dinner leftovers during the week or for lunch...

Soak clothes instead of adding bleach....

Do sheitals, mending, cleaning, myself rather than paying someone to do it.

Shop at bargain stores. Buy only bottle of nail polish a year - that is, use what I buy,no matter what it is!

Buy a LOT on ebay. Sell a lot on ebay....

Call telephone co. to get the best deal for long distance and local calls.

No cell phones or "toys" like ipods.....

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:33 pm
My biggest contributions to saving my household expenses are:

1. I am my own cleaning lady. It's not easy, I usually have to wait for my baby to take a nap to clean the floors or iron because it's impossible otherwise. Especially the laundry, I go down 3 flights - no elevator. But I will sometimes give myself a no-guilt treat because I didn't hire a [cleaner] to do the work so I deserve it Smile

2. I am my own sheitel macher when it comes to everyday wash/sets. I even did it for a cousin's chasuna and got the biggest compliment when someone came up to me and asked if I was wearing a sheitel because it looked like it was coming out of my head. I assured her it didn't always look like that Wink (Then again, when I was single, I once had someone come to me at a wedding confusing me for another friend who was married, thinking my hair was a sheitel. Hahah.) Though, I think I will give my sheitel in for my bro-in-law's wedding that's coming up. Can anyone recommend a good sheitel macher in Brooklyn who's reasonably priced?

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:44 pm
Quote:
Buy a LOT on ebay. Sell a lot on ebay....

Ditto I buy most my little ones clothing there, I too love dolar stores and garage sales people don't believe me when I tell them where I bought such and such an item.
and conc cleaning lady. Well I have finally consented and I have one not phenomenal but an extra set of hands and relatively cheap. And fast worker. She comes 3hrs twice a week.
Otherwise I do everything myself incl putting down flooring and decorating Tongue Out not profesional by any means of the imagination embarrassed but atleast looks presentable

florida1

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:06 pm
People wrote here they shop on Ebay.

The shipping prices on Ebay seem expensive and makes the purchase item seem less worth it.

Is that not true??

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:17 pm
It is very frugal to remember to use dental floss on your teeth. Teeth are very expensive! I have also used the dental school to save money on dental work. Getting kids to floss can save a lot of money but they don't like to do it. Nag Nag Nag!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics