Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I want to buy a new book

str

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 4:52 pm
I'm treating myself for Yom Tov. What's a latest good book?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 4:55 pm
Are you looking for short stories, humor or a novel? Or mussar...?

str

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:00 pm
I think maybe short stories this time

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:05 pm
I saw two new books out - one by Nachman Seltzer and one by Binyomin Pruzansky. Didn't read them myself but both authors have good track records.

dora

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:08 pm
1) real impact! 205 short stories with an immediate message-by Dovid Kaplan

2) Once upon a holiday story-by Yair Weinstock

Don't know yet if they are good, saving them for y't.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:08 pm
religious or secular.
If secular, then Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It isnt new but the newest book will be coming out in Sept and there are already 6 books out. I highly recommend it

soulful music

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 5:48 pm
Ima2Netanel wrote:
religious or secular.
If secular, then Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It isnt new but the newest book will be coming out in Sept and there are already 6 books out. I highly recommend it

I just read some one star reviews on Amazon. It doesn't sound too good. Here is a sample:

57 of 81 people found the following review helpful:
Absolutely dreadful., March 28, 2000
By A Customer

This book is nothing but soft-core [filth] and endless scenes of rape and torture. The premise was interesting: the heroine, nurse Claire, is sent back in time to Scotland. Even though Claire is happily married in her own time, she meets and marries a young Scotsman, Jamie. I had trouble believing that the two characters could possibly be attracted to each other. Claire just seems cold and uninteresting. Jamie is much too immature for an older, married woman. I saw nothing about them that made me believe that there was anything "timeless" about their relationship. They seemed to have nothing in common outside of the bedroom. At one point Jamie asks Claire "Is this normal? This wanting you all the time?" The reader is supposed to believe that the relationship is somehow different from the norm, but there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about it. Claire and Jamie are simply going through that "I've got to have you now" phase that we all experience at the beginning of a romance.
I was particularly shocked during one scene in the book, where Jamie beats Claire so hard that she is in pain for days afterward. This is all treated with a wink and smile, instead of as the wife abuse that it is. We could try to argue that Jamie was simply a victim of his time, and that that is way things were done "back then." But to what purpose? It would have made the hero seem much more mature and compassionate if he'd thrown his upbringing out the door and told Claire "This is the way it's usually done, but I love you too much to ever cause you harm."

Part of the problem is that this book could have been so much more, but wasn't. I expected to see Claire, with her knowledge of future medicine, crying, wishing for antibiotics and desperately trying to save the life of some Scottish child with smallpox or some other illness. Instead, the only person she ever tries to heal is Jamie, after his neverending role as the professional victim. She seems not to care at all about the people surrounding her. Her only interest is in bedding Jamie as quickly and often as possible. I found Claire to be a selfish, cold, silly heroine. I couldn't identify with her at all.

This was a first for me. I actually threw this book in the trash after I read it. I was afraid that someone with a little intelligence might stop by my house and see that I'd actually paid for and read a book that is so abysmally awful.

Nicole

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 7:17 pm
I just finished "adventures in the produce aisle" by perel grossman. It's short humor chapters about our lives as jewish moms. I found it great.

soulful music

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 7:27 pm
The book dual discovery is excellent!
I bought the book by meir uri gottesman(I forgot the name) I love his books.

Chani

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 7:38 pm
I thought Outlander was a wonderful "beach read". It's not great literature, but it definitely is entertaining. BTW, it has a 4.5 out of 5 star rating on Amazon, so I must have a lot of company...(The first 10 ratings included 7 5-star ratings, 1 4-star rating and 2 1-star rating, so it must be a love it or hate it reaction.)

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 7:54 pm
A Daughter of Two Mothers is totally riveting. Not so new you you may have read it already.

Let us know what you buy and how you like it.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 8:42 pm
tzel, I am surprised that it got such a negative review. Most people either love it or can take it or leave it. Even my husband liked it! Id say 3/4 of the people who I introduce it to love it...and these are educated book-lovers!

soulful music

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 10:50 pm
Ima2Netanel wrote:
tzel, I am surprised that it got such a negative review. Most people either love it or can take it or leave it. Even my husband liked it! Id say 3/4 of the people who I introduce it to love it...and these are educated book-lovers!

What
I love to read and so I checked the book out on Amazon.
I like reading the one-star rating to get an idea about what the issues are.
What about the issues brought up about the beating,rape etc.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Apr 08 2009, 7:43 am
I dunno, what we are talking about is a small aprt of the book that is described in retrospect and only to give us insight to the different charecters

soulful music

Post Wed, Apr 08 2009, 9:31 am
O.K. Maybe I'll see if the library has it and look thru it first...
Gut Yom Tov!!

sky

Post Wed, Apr 08 2009, 10:18 am
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
A Daughter of Two Mothers is totally riveting. Not so new you you may have read it already.

I love that book. I really couldn't put it down. The story line is unbelievable. its hard to believe that its true.

I bought 'Let My Nation Go'. I figured if I have any time to read at all maybe I'll remind myself why we did all this cooking and cleaning.

tziganka

Post Wed, Apr 08 2009, 11:58 am
I highly recommend “A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini, and his first book "The Kite Runner" is great too.

I also just read “The Bonesetter's Daughter” by Amy Tan, highly recommend it..

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 12:45 am
I hated "a thousand splendid suns" it was so depressing and abusive. I do not enjoy reading about terrible things even if it is excellent writing.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:07 am
I enjoyed "Remains of the Day" very thought provoking, and the ideas will keep popping up.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 3:15 am
the last of the rashi's daughters trilogy was a great read.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room