Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Carbon monoxide

e1234

Post Fri, Apr 10 2009, 4:28 am
What causes this.

My m-i-l bought us a carbon monoxide detector a few years ago.
I't's been sitting on top of our bookcases and I forgot about it.

Leil seder I woke up and I heard it ringing.
I didn't know what to do. I turned off the gas and opened all the windows and my husband went upstairs to see if the bitachon car was passing. After 5 minutes it stopped so I assume the gas caused it - - could this be?
am I crazy to use the same gas for shabbos.
(it's a new 4 burner gas I bought this year. I do have my 2 burner from last year - maybe I'm better off plugging that in. )

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Apr 11 2009, 9:40 pm
It could either be the battery (we had to throw one out because even after we had the fire dept. come on SHABBOS!!! (yes we asked a rav) and got new batteries, it kept going off)....but, do not make a mistake. If you have a detector with numbers, what's the number? If no numbers, get your burners checked - bring them to the fire station and they'll check them with their equipment - better to be safe than sorry. Also, the detector will go off before it's really hazardous as a warning in advance - get them checked or do not use them at all!

e1234

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 4:14 am
it didn't go off again but I made sure to keep all the windows open and I used a different fire.
I think it was a real alert which is very scary.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 7:25 am
We had this happened to us Pesach a few years ago on a 3 day Yom Tov. It was real. Be careful. The vents of our oven had been covered with aluminum foil and the gases could not eecape- yes there was carbon monoxide. When in doubt, check it out. The fire department came, took a reading and said it was high. Make sure the vents of your oven arent blocked with anything. Be careful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics