Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach oil ?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 6:36 pm
I always used cottonseed and my family always hated whatever I'd bake with it. No, it's not the potato starch - I've tried recipes without it and we still don't really like it. The cocoa is the same as I use all year, ditto the eggs ... and the choc chips are delicious on their own so it can't be that.

Does anyone have excellent results with safflower? I don't think I can use walnut as it's a gogitrion (not sure I spelled that correctly) which interferes with my thyroid medicine. I don't want to use olive and I'm not sure there are many other choices.

Thanks.

cassandra

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 6:47 pm
Safflower is great.

nylon

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 6:47 pm
I use safflower year round with excellent results.

I have also had good results with grapeseed for mayonnaise (half grapeseed, half olive is my choice for mayonnaise) and frying, but never used it in baking.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 16 2009, 10:33 pm
I asked around after shul and most agree that cottomnseed is awful.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:47 am
My mother used grapeseed oil this year for everything-cooking, baking and frying and it worked very well. Everything tasted great.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 12:50 am
I use safflower year round, I find it to be the lightest tasting

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 8:33 pm
got safflower for baking, cottonseeds just for frying (a small one) and olive oil for cooking.

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 12:18 am
hazelnut oil works great in everything
mild pleasant taste
good for baking especially
can yu use it, or are you unable to use any nut oils?

Jewish Mother2

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 9:34 am
Anyone know what safflower or grapeseed is in Hebrew or if you can get it in Israel? I usually buy walnut and use that for baking but it's expensive.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 7:44 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
got safflower for baking, cottonseeds just for frying (a small one) and olive oil for cooking.

1-Does safflower oil have a unique taste? Can safflower oil be used for everything?

2- Why specifically cottonseed for frying and olive for cooking? I can understand olive for salads, etc (raw foods).

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 7:47 pm
Based on recommendations here, I used (I've already done my cooking) safflower for general cooking (kugels, etc.) and frying, hazelnut for baking and olive (extra light) for sauteeing vegetables (and will use it for salads).

I am very pleased with the results of both the safflower and hazelnut oils and will use them in the future.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 7:56 pm
Mevater wrote:
Quote:
Does safflower oil have a unique taste? Can safflower oil be used for everything?

Safflower oil tastes similar to canola -- practically no taste at all. It also has a very high smoke point. I use it for practically everything, including frying, baking, and salads, except when I want an olive oil flavor.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:16 pm
Throughout the year I use 2 oils- canola for most everything, and olive for salads.

Why would I want to invest in 3 oils for just over a week?

Im leaning towards safflower for cooking, frying and baking, and if I go for a second, olive for salads. Does that make sense?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:18 pm
I bought 3. They're not huge.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:22 pm
Mevater wrote:
Throughout the year I use 2 oils- canola for most everything, and olive for salads.

Why would I want to invest in 3 oils for just over a week?

Im leaning towards safflower for cooking, frying and baking, and if I go for a second, olive for salads. Does that make sense?

The safflower is the most expensive of the 3, that's why I bought all 3 of them. And it comes in a small bottle -- I've finished 2 of them (plus finished a large hazelnut oil and half of a large extra light olive oil) and will need at least 1 more. If you don't mind spending more you can certainly use safflower for whatever you normally use canola for. I do find that the hazelnut gave a very nice taste to the baked goods.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics