Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore - Fountain View Vs Cross Country

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 11:03 am
We are considering moving to Baltimore

We were thinking either Cross country Manor or fountain View appartments.

Could someone please highlight the type of crowds most prevalent in these two places, Yeshiva, modern? etc

Only really considering these two places because they are within price range.

Were a young couple one baby, hard to put us in a box but were for sure not yeshivish and weve had exp of living amoungst a fairly yeshivish crowd and it didnt jive.

Also where could I find info about availiable jobs, babysitters etc

Thank you

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
We are considering moving to Baltimore

We were thinking either Cross country Manor or fountain View appartments.

Could someone please highlight the type of crowds most prevalent in these two places, Yeshiva, modern? etc

Only really considering these two places because they are within price range.

Were a young couple one baby, hard to put us in a box but were for sure not yeshivish and weve had exp of living amoungst a fairly yeshivish crowd and it didnt jive.

Also where could I find info about availiable jobs, babysitters etc

Thank you

Both complexes are a mix...you can find friends in either places. We considered both, but FV didn't have any openings when we were looking, and ended up in CC.
FV has more problems with maintenance and unexpected "guests" -- CC is very good about taking care of things right away.
FV may be slightly more expensive, but you get laundry facilities in your apartment -- CC has pay-per-use in the basement. CC kitchen is smaller but you get a nice storage area in the basement.
L'maisa, if I were looking at this point in my life, I would choose FV because of the laundry (I have 3 kids, and I go to my in-laws every Sunday for the whole day to do our laundry....instead of paying for the machines in the basement.) but you can make it work either way.

What type of job are you looking for?
Babysitters -- how old is your child, and for how long will you need?

baskrox

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 12:20 pm
we live in fountainview - laundry is a huge plus - in your apt., right off the kithcen!!! also, there is a second bathroom - master bathroom. absolutely, abt. the maintenance - you have to call and call to get maintenance. recently, they are getting a little better. someone found out the phone number and email to the "higher ups" and if you call them, you usually get attention right away.
another nice plus with fountainview is that it is a garden apt. complex - it is Ches shaped around a huge grass area in the middle, which means all the kids come play in one area - it is great for getting out and socializing in the nice weather.

for jobs and babysitters I would go to
www.luach.com - this site has many communities on it, but baltimore has the most postings, people here really use the site!! There is also an "advertiser" that comes out with classifieds every 2 weeks - maybe you can call and they will send to you - number is 410-764-3787

good luck. feel free to contact me with any more questions. I grew up here, so I can probably answer your questions...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 1:48 pm
Oh, right....second bathroom....dreaming away here Wink
BTW, CC has 2 parks which is also a plus. So in that respect, there is no real winner.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 6:05 pm
Great info thnx

Specifically wondering about the crowds?
will we fit in will we find friends,
nearby shuls???

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:04 am
I don't know of the current dynamics in Fview, but from a few years back, both CC and F-view have more yeshivish crowds with others mixed in. But neither are exclusively yeshivish and both are welcoming. Just know that yeshivish is probably in the majority (of the Jews) at both.

CC is closer to the "younger" shuls- like R' Weiss, R' Teichman (and R' Berger- but I doubt that's your speed if you don't jive in yeshivish crowds).
Fountainview is close to a few shuls of different denominations. Bnai Jacob Shaarei Zion (aka BJSZ) is not yeshivish and they do have a young crowd, but it's not a "young" shul. Eitz Chaim is right next door to F-View, it's concerenced a Kiruv shul, so I'm not sure what type of crowd they get. For something more eclectic, R' Goldberger's isn't too far.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:34 am
I met a few FV people by my midwife, and they were not yeshivish Smile
CC has a mix; most are in kollel, but you can easily find people who are not....I think the less yeshivish might have a higher turnaround rate though and don't stay as long.

Tova

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:11 pm
I lived in CC for a few years before we bought our house, but I always felt that FV was a safety concern if driving there at night (maybe I'm just paranoid, but there is no parking lot, it's more like alleys that are recessed from the main road - Fords Lane - and wrap around the buildings). I agree that the laundry situation at CC can be kind of difficult, and my children weren't even born when I lived there!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 11:25 pm
Op;
I know what u mean about the parking at fv now u come to mention it, it is quite unsafe. If I move there in the end ill forever be paranoid about that, but better to be on guard so thnx for pointing that out.

In terms of what u get for ur money at fv there is no doubt in my mind that fv offers a better deal e.g. 2nd bathroom, bigger kitchen , kosher dishwasher, balcony, washer dryer... Just wanted to see where we would feel most comfortable and be able to make friends. But from what I've been hearing baltimore is generally a much more friendlier comm than where I'm coming from.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 11:24 am
YES, BALTO IS EXTREMELY FRIENDLY AND UNITED!!!! GO BALTO!!!!!!!!!!!

Realize that some CC apt. complexes have a parking lot, but others do not and you have to park on the street. But everyone will agree that CC area is in a safer community than FV...but theyre not that far from each other.

HATZLACHA!!!!

momoswyf

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 9:39 pm
I know that FV does have an opening. My friend lives there and one of her neighbors just moved out. I would have to agree about the location. Although CC is smaller and not as nice, the location is much better and it is close to Pickwick where there are tons of young couples. You can also walk to a little shopping center from CC--15 min, but I guess you can walk to the pizza store from FV. FV is next to Gan Rutie which is a big daycare, but there are a bunch of people who do babysitting in CC--I send my daughter to one.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 9:49 pm
I heard FV recently got a new manager who is frum. Is that true? Did the managment get any better? I know they used to have problems but I only know from about 10 years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating