Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
20 Clove Garlic Chicken in the Crockpot
1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:39 pm
This deserves its own thread.
Thanks TzipG for this awesome recipe!

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....icken
www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

6 chicken bottoms with skin, (I used 4)
1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper (I used less)
20 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Pour into crockpot, on top of the onion.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.

(I cooked mine on low for about 8 or 9 hours.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, May 04 2009, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:15 am
yum this sounds delish!

one question...is the chicken 'falling off the bone' with lots of juice at the end of the cooking?

bubby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:18 am
I can smell the garlic already. Does your breath smell from it (I guess they all mush up in the cooking process & you can't get rid of them.)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:43 am
Two is charm, the chicken is definitely very soft and juicey. My husband enjoys "falling off the bone" chicken, and he thought it was great. I enjoy tender chicken, but not what I call "soup chicken"- soft and mushy without flavor- and I loved the texture too. It was not like most crockpot chicken recipes, which are a bit too mushy for my tastes.
The longer you let it cook for, the more "falling off the bone" it will be.
Also, a ton of juices sit on the bottom (they naturally collect from the chicken, not from adding liquid.) The onions sit in this sauce, and come out tasting sauteed and delishes!
I enjoyed eating the rings of onions! Make sure you use a lot.

Bubby, since the cloves are kept intact during cooking, and are not sliced open, they only emit a nice flavor to the chicken. The chicken does not give garlic breath Smile The cloves remain whole while cooking, and you can either throw them away, mash them to make a spread, or eat them just as they are.
My husband enjoyed popping the soft and creamy garlic cloves into his mouth!

(I made puffed white rice with this dish, in a crockpot bag, during the last 1 hour and 20 minutes of cooking. It came out great, and we loved adding the onions on top. Dh also liked the chicken gravy on his rice. Let me know if you need directions to the rice. No extra pots needed.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Sep 06 2018, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:50 am
I once made 40cloves garlic chicken in the oven then took all the garlic carried on roasting it til they were brown and sticky (sugary) then mashed them into the potatoes SOOOO GOOOD yum I want it now.....

gr8 about the falling off the bone part without being soup like!!!! (I once made the mistake of slow cooking cutlets they came out sooo dry and grainy...)

do you ever put chicken in chulent??? I always wanted to but was afraid it would come out dry

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 10:55 am
Twoisacharm wrote:
I once made 40cloves garlic chicken in the oven then took all the garlic carried on roasting it til they were brown and sticky (sugary) then mashed them into the potatoes SOOOO GOOOD yum I want it now.....

gr8 about the falling off the bone part without being soup like!!!! (I once made the mistake of slow cooking cutlets they came out sooo dry and grainy...)

do you ever put chicken in chulent??? I always wanted to but was afraid it would come out dry

Yum! That's what I should use the garlic cloves for next time- potatoes!
Chicken in the chulent works if you place it into the crockpot AFTER everything else. Make sure that it's sitting on top of everything, and don't push it down into the water. It will sink a bit, but by the time Shabbos morning comes around, it will be resting on top of the chulent. Also, don't cook it for more than 24 hours. And only use chicken bottoms. Enjoy! It's very good.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:02 am
should I put it in right b4 shabbos wen I put in the kishka?? (do u spice it too? or leave the chulent to do the spicing - my chulent is really well flavored.... LOL )

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:06 am
Twoisacharm wrote:
should I put it in right b4 shabbos wen I put in the kishka?? (do u spice it too? or leave the chulent to do the spicing - my chulent is really well flavored.... LOL )
Right before Shabbos would be great. It doesn't need much extra flavor, just a sprinkle of salt.
I wish I could make chicken in the chulent more often. Dh doesn't enjoy the idea of it. Maybe I'll put in meat AND chicken this week.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:15 am
my dh also doesnt like it - but I think its cause it was so dry the time that I did it.....gonna try it next week

....this week we're going to Baltimore and the family we're going to cooks sooooo well Wink Cheers

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:30 am
Twoisacharm wrote:
my dh also doesnt like it - but I think its cause it was so dry the time that I did it.....gonna try it next week

....this week we're going to Baltimore and the family we're going to cooks sooooo well Wink Cheers
Keep the skin on. It gives it a better texture. Just take it off before you serve it.

Twoisacharm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:33 am
ok thanks!!!! Hug

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:40 am
20 garlic cloves are not really that much ... it's around 1 head of garlic which is the general amount I use ... mmmmmmmmmmmm garlic ... Mr. Green

bubby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:49 am
I'm going to try this, thanks!!

NativeMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:53 am
me too, sounds great!

ValleyMom

Post Fri, May 01 2009, 9:34 am
I'm doing this Friday morning for Shabbat dinner tonight...

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 2:31 pm
do you use a crock pot bag when you make this? I usually use one for my cholent, but I definitely see how my cholent comes out a little different when I use one vs. when I don't.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 2:36 pm
613 wrote:
do you use a crock pot bag when you make this? I usually use one for my cholent, but I definitely see how my cholent comes out a little different when I use one vs. when I don't.

No. I think the texture would be different with a crockpot bag.
I too only use the crockpot bag for my chulent.
(Don't worry, the crock is very easy to clean after this dinner. No sticky chulent messes. I find that the crockpot is only hard to clean after it's been cooking something for very long.)

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 3:16 pm
You want to hear something funny. I went to make this Thursday afternoon and I couldn't find the clove of garlic that I had bought (on Wednesday) anywhere. I looked in every obvious and even ridiculous place I could have mindlessly put it. It was just gone... still looking for it.

I made the chicken in the crock pot with onions anyway, but I was craving that garlic-ey infusion so much...

*sigh* shabbos dinner was a bit of a let down!

Looking forward to buying more garlics and trying again this week.

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 10:11 am
btMOM, when I read your post I thought to myself, hey I don't remember putting away the garlic cloves that I bought yesterday! Did they not make it home?!? Thankfully, I recalled that I bought this container of pre-peeled garlic in the produce section. Regular garlic was $1.79/lb and this 1 lb. container was $1.99. I figured if I'm using 20 cloves that I'll need to peel, I'll splurge on those $.20!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:50 pm
Well, I won't make the same mistake twice... I'm still drooling for the garlicy chicken! I bought 2 heads of garlic today and put them in a produce baggie this time. Not as easy for them to disappear! LOL
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey