Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher bringing baby to class b/c no babysitter!
Previous  1  2

ss321

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 7:15 am
OK OP, I am very torn on this issue.
I think it depends on the age of the class. In college, I actually had a Chem professor who brought his two younger kids to school a couple of times. His office was right down the hall from the classroom, so they mostly hung out there, playing on the computer and stuff like that. one joined us in class and drew pictures. We thought it was adorable! His wife was a surgeon, and so for her to bring them to work (their babysitter was out sick for a week) would have been impossible for two of the days as her schedule was jam packed, and for the other two days, it would have been really tough for him because he taught labs and a full day of classes. So he took them his two "easy" days and she took them her two "easy" days. They aligned their schedules like that on purpose. no one had a problem with it.
I also had an English professor who brough her infant, he slept in his graco most of the time. it was also really cute. He woke up and whined right in the middle of class, and she gave him a bottle and all was fine. Im sure it was also some sort of emergency situation, she didnt really give us details.
BUT - I was in college.
In High School, I think it can be done, in a really really special situation. The students are old enough, and for the most part mature enough, to just get over it and focus on class.
Middle School, maybe. Depends on the class (take a look at the amother who explained her situation - she said she was a middle school teacher). If it is a really small class (8-12), I think it would be much more distracting than a larger one (30ish).
Elementary school though - I think its completely unprofessional and totally unacceptable. I dont think a bunch of second graders are able to focus on their classwork AT ALL with a little baby hanging around! It is wrong, and selfish. Along the lines of coming to school (or work) sick, if you ask me. Sure, you dont want to lose a day's pay (arent teachers usually salaried employees, not hourly ones, though?), but its totally unfair to everyone else around you.

also - for a HS class, hiring a sub is basically the equivalent of hiring someone to "supervise" them for an hour. Great if its a test day or something, but otherwise, its just a waste of a period. For elementary school, a substitute teacher can get ALOT done. usually as much as the teacher. So there really is no excuse for bringing your kid and not just staying home, I think, IF its a younger grade, where a sub is helpful in teaching the material (and being more than just a glorified babysitter).

On the one hand, Id say call the teacher. but OTOH, you dont want to be looked at as the "mean" parent, you dont want her to take out her resentment of you on your daughter! So I would pick up the phone and call the principal. dont be accusatory and mean, just say, as a parent who pays alot of money for your daughters education, you think you are entitled to some sort of explanation as to why the teacher thought it was appropriate to turn the classroom into a day care center!

bubby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 7:55 am
Sorry, I disagree. If it's an emergency & the class will not be taught, I think it's OK to bring a kid. I brought my DD once (remember, hon?) when she was about 2 1/2. She had a cold so couldn't go to playgroup, I had no family or friends to watch her, so she came too. She sat in the corner away from my 10th graders who were dying to play, I taught, & then she had an accident. Right there in the classroom. embarrassed

The girls were great, no one cared, they got paper towels etc, & AFAIK, no one complained. The principal was OK with me bringing her, it was better than no coverage for my class. OP...try & be a bit understanding. You'd probably complain if the class had a free period! Sometimes, the poor teacher can't win.

ss321

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 8:28 am
bubby wrote:
away from my 10th graders who were dying to play, I taught, & then she had an accident. Right there in the classroom. embarrassed

TENTH GRADERS.
Alot different than 3rd graders (or 1st).

bubby

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:20 am
Unless the child is contagious, I don't think it's a disaster, no matter the grade. Why do parents need to make such a tumult about these occasional glitches? How about them making a fuss when teachers & other students are insulted, humiliated, & treated badly by their kids...no matter the age! How about them even believing the teacher!!!

I gave up teaching (& I'm an award-winning, very creative teacher!) because I can't deal with the attitudes of the parents. Every tiny thing, even scheduling a test or an assignment, is an issue. They never discuss things with a teacher...straight to the Principal, or even the Board! And then we, as teachers, have to defend ourselves.

I've said it before...I made plenty of mistakes during my years in the classroom. However, I always dealt with it & accepted responsibility, just like a grown-up should. Wish I could say the same about the parents. Here was the scenario that finished me off.

It was October. I was teaching and as I was explaining something, a student very pointedly & obviously looked at her watch (I must have been really boring!) I stopped, said "I'm sorry, am I boring you?" & continued the lesson.

2 days later, the Principal called me in to tell me that ANOTHER PARENT, NOT THE MOTHER OF THE GIRL, complained at what I'd said. At that point I told my DH that this was my last year (which it was.) BTW, the Principal told me she would have said the same thing to the student.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I am fed up with a knee-jerk reaction that shows no consideration for a teacher or the stress she has to go through in order to give YOUR kids a good education.

[Blame this rant on my pain. But it feels good to let it out. So all you irate moms who think this was a criminal act (judging by your extreme reactions!) need to walk in a teacher's shoes and see the chutzpah & viciousness displayed by your kids before you are so quick to hang said teacher.]

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:24 am
bubby wrote:
Unless the child is contagious, I don't think it's a disaster, no matter the grade. Why do parents need to make such a tumult about these occasional glitches? How about them making a fuss when teachers & other students are insulted, humiliated, & treated badly by their kids...no matter the age! How about them even believing the teacher!!!

I gave up teaching (& I'm an award-winning, very creative teacher!) because I can't deal with the attitudes of the parents. Every tiny thing, even scheduling a test or an assignment, is an issue. They never discuss things with a teacher...straight to the Principal, or even the Board! And then we, as teachers, have to defend ourselves.

I've said it before...I made plenty of mistakes during my years in the classroom. However, I always dealt with it & accepted responsibility, just like a grown-up should. Wish I could say the same about the parents. Here was the scenario that finished me off.

It was October. I was teaching and as I was explaining something, a student very pointedly & obviously looked at her watch (I must have been really boring!) I stopped, said "I'm sorry, am I boring you?" & continued the lesson.

2 days later, the Principal called me in to tell me that ANOTHER PARENT, NOT THE MOTHER OF THE GIRL, complained at what I'd said. At that point I told my DH that this was my last year (which it was.) BTW, the Principal told me she would have said the same thing to the student.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but I am fed up with a knee-jerk reaction that shows no consideration for a teacher or the stress she has to go through in order to give YOUR kids a good education.

[Blame this rant on my pain. But it feels good to let it out. So all you irate moms who think this was a criminal act (judging by your extreme reactions!) need to walk in a teacher's shoes and see the chutzpah & viciousness displayed by your kids before you are so quick to hang said teacher.]

I think this belongs on the 'Is it better to bring up children in the US or EY' thread. I am totally shock . Good for you bubby that you left.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:28 am
I think if it was my kid and it was an emergency situation I would not be all that bothered. Also it very much depends on the kid. some babies are quiet, some are nosy and want to run around.

if it was a regular thing I would really question why this was happening.

as a teacher it could easily happen to me that my babysitter would be sick, then what would I do? I only teach for an hour and a half a day, so I would probably have to bring her in.

I also can't stand this attitude of parents; complain to the principle! if you are concerned, tell me. THEN if I do not deal with it go to the principle. meanwhile the same parents do not tell me important info about their child and still expect me to somehow teach them properly. the principle knows about it, but why bother telling me? I am only the teacher!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics