Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Stained clothing- give away or throw out?

yedidya's mom

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:09 pm
I'm going through boxes of baby clothing and unfortunately a lot of them are stained- mostly yellow stains by the collar. I decided not to keep them bec. I have other clothes.
I'm just wondering if I should give them away to a gemach or goodwill or if I should just throw them out. I don't like to throw things out but I don't know if someone would want it?
Also how do I keep this from happening again?

zigi

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:30 pm
have the next kid wear a bib. I was going through dc's clothing. I read b/c its a protein stain. anything that is white or has a spitup stain it will turn yellow and its hard to get out. I read somewhere that you can soak it with an alkasezter tablet it might take the stain out.or use hydrogen peroxide-oxyclean, a bunch of websites say it works but it should be soaked overnight. try to take spit up stain out of clothing as soon as its made.

goodwill sells stained clothing, they sell it to be recyled

Barbara

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 11:36 pm
Maybe Goodwill, or someplace that takes things to recycle. Or if you know someone who is very needy. or if you know someone who runs an in-home daycare center, and might be able to use some things for when they run out of clothes to change kids into.

I've had this discussion before, and people have told me that just because they are in need doesn't mean that they want or will use rags that are not good enough for other people. They've told me that if I wouldn't put it on my kid, or on myself, I should not think that its appropriate to donate. Maybe that's not true of all people, or all places, but it is what I've been told, and what I live by.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:54 am
Do not give it to a gemach.

Last edited by Aidelmom on Tue, May 05 2009, 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

yedidya's mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 2:54 pm
I figured it's not mechubad to give stained clothing away but I wanted to double check. I thought maybe if its stretchies and pjs worn at home, ppl wouldnt care as much.
also, any advice what to wash thew clothing in before putting it away in boxes? does it do better in plastic bins vs. cardboard boxes?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 3:51 pm
don't ppl want a stained garment that the kid doesn't have to worry about ruining?

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:03 pm
You can wash them and soak first with nature bright-takes out the stains. Do not give away stained clothes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry