Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which kind of homemade breakfast food...

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:44 pm
can be made in advance and frozen??? I want to be better about eating breakfast.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:51 pm
muffins!
a good whole wheat muffin, yogurt or piece of cheese, and apple or banana would make a wholesome, filling, fast and easy breakfast.

(I should take my own advice).

also what about boiling eggs and shelling them and storing a few days worth in the fridge

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:05 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
muffins!
a good whole wheat muffin, yogurt or piece of cheese, and apple or banana would make a wholesome, filling, fast and easy breakfast.

(I should take my own advice).

also what about boiling eggs and shelling them and storing a few days worth in the fridge

I thought of that.. I really should do that... tomorrow I am off from work.. I guess I will be muffin making.. How long do boiled eggs last for in the fridge?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:09 pm
good question about the eggs... shelled I wouldn't do more than 3-4 days. maybe google eggs and food safety to be sure.

momomany

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 7:08 pm
pancakes! you can make the batter a day to a few days in advance, fridge it & fry fresh in a teflon pan with pam for a quick, fresh breakfast - or you can make them the day (coupla days too) earlier, fridge or freeze them & nuke in the morning. its my kids favorite breakfast & my 2 yr old often has them for lunch!

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:11 pm
Cooked hard boiled eggs last about a week in the fridge.

Scrambled eggs takes a minute to make

Keep a frozen loaf of ww bread in the freezer and toast in the morning

Happy Mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:24 pm
We often have muffins, quick breads (banana bread, pumpkin bread), pancakes, waffles, baked oatmeal - all of these are easily prepared in advance, frozen, and then defrosted when you need them. Also biscuit dough can be made the night before and quickly baked fresh in the morning.

Quick meals to prepare for breakast that don't require advance preparation are eggs (scrambled or omelettes with cheese), oatmeal (particularly if you soak it overnight, it takes less than a minute in the microwave or less than five minutes in a pot on the stove), a cooked cold grain like rice sprinkled with cinnamon and milk (grain prepared in advance). There are lots of less traditional ideas, but eating a filling and healthy breakfast isn't hard if you think about it before the morning comes! (I've posted weekly menus on my blog and shared a lot of recipes there as well, some of which you may find helpful for getting ideas - look in the recipe/menu plan category.)

Aidelmom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:38 am
one should not store boiled eggs peeled overnight.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:54 pm
nuuuuu...? Creative Mommy, what did you bake today? The quickbreads were a great idea.... kinda the same as muffins, but in loaf form. Pancakes (or even waffles, if you dare) sounded good too.

awaiting your baking update here... (when I should really be doing my own baking, now instead!)

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 3:03 pm
excuse me if I sound like a nudnik, but can you spell out for me step by step exactly how you 'make oatmeal', including what oats you use and any things you add. thanks!

momomany

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 3:50 pm
1 portion oatmeal for my 8 year old:
1/4 cup quaker instant oatmeal (round can)
1/2 cup milk or water
1/2 tsp cocoa
sugar to taste

microwave in large bowl 2 minutes 45 seconds
pour into sml bowl & eat as is or add milk

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 4:04 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
nuuuuu...? Creative Mommy, what did you bake today? The quickbreads were a great idea.... kinda the same as muffins, but in loaf form. Pancakes (or even waffles, if you dare) sounded good too.

awaiting your baking update here... (when I should really be doing my own baking, now instead!)

A Birthday cake for my best friend.... didn't do the rest.. I was too excited about surprising her.. boy was she surprised.. but I am sifting flour for tomorrow iy''H.. I am going to sleep.. no work for me today.. yippee.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 4:11 pm
Probably it was more fun to bake a surprise for your friend than to bake muffins for yourself!

Lilah Tov.

6coop

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 10:00 pm
mini quiches are actually great for breakfast. They're really healthy too (especially if you make them without the crust - just pour the batter directly into a cupcake tin).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics