Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Brothers fighting

amother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 11:00 pm
my 2 boys (ages 2 & 3) fight alot. its normal, I know. its mostly the older one hitting the younger, taking away toys, etc.
what is the right way to respond? I've tried time outs, patching, telling firmly that we dont hit like that.
he still does it.
is it reasonable to expect him to stop fighting with his brother? or is it part of life and little bro' will just have to get used to it.
I'm just worried that he will really hurt his brother one day.
should I be worried?
should I stiil be punishing him? or just ignore what he does and just kiss the younger one's booboo.
is just telling him "that was not nice", enough? does he really need to be punished every time? it happpens 20 times a day. I cant put him in timeout all day!
please help me!

red sea

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 11:15 pm
First of all, don't worry, it is normal for toddlers to act like toddlers, you know that.

Secondly, I think the key to success with this lies in you being consistent, pick one standard way to deal, and don't variate. (Side point, I'm not much of a believer than hitting will teach any child not to hit.)

Some tactics:

Punish them that they have to play separately, if you can't play nicely together then you can't play together at all, (it sort of makes them see that a having a sibling to play with is a privilege, not a bother)

A three year old can't really be in timeout for more than 3-5 minutes max, if timeouts work, its really not that long anyways.

Make the offender repeat his expression of feelings in a positive manner, it is a sort of training that will help them to eventually express themselves through a better means than hitting to begin with.

And Don't worry so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics