Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Creative cook? Neat person?
1  2  Next

Are you neat? A good creative cook?
I'm neat. I'm a great cook- I prefer to make my own recipes.  
 23%  [ 20 ]
I'm neat. I'm a great cook- but I prefer to follow recipes exactly.  
 10%  [ 9 ]
I'm neat. I'm an ok cook, but nothing extraordinary.  
 7%  [ 6 ]
I'm neat. I'm not a good cook.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
I'm messy. I'm a great cook and make up my own recipes.  
 33%  [ 28 ]
I'm messy. I'm a great cook, but prefer to follow recipes exactly.  
 9%  [ 8 ]
I'm messy. I'm an ok gook, but nothing extraordinary.  
 9%  [ 8 ]
I'm messy. Im not a good cook.  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Other- please explain.  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 84

Seraph

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 3:21 pm
I have a theory (expounded on more in my blog http://mamamoomoo.livejournal.com/13383.html) on creativity in the kitchen vs neatness.

Basically, my theory is that people either are creative good cooks who enjoy being in the kitchen and making up recipes OR they are very neat and orderly people.

In short, the reason for my theory is that cooking is an art, and artistic people tend to be more right brain dominant, which is also tied to being messy/un-orderly. People that are very neat and tidy tend to be more logical and thought out people, left brain dominant, which is why they like to follow orderly recipes exactly instead of patchke'ing with adding "a little more of this, and a little more of that".

Where do you fit in? Are you a creative cook? A clean person? Do you know if you are right or left brain dominant? (this site has a test to see http://www.web-us.com/brain/br.....e.htm)

PS. I'm not saying that neat people can't cook, but rather that more often the neat people will tend to stick to what they know, will follow recipes exactly, and wont make all sorts of exotic and different foods. I could be wrong, but that is the theory I'd like to test out?

PPS. In the poll, try to be objective as possible if you're a great cook. Be honest, and if you truly get a TON of compliments on your food, write that, but if you think its good but don't get rave reviews, pick "I'm an ok cook."

ora_43

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 5:02 pm
I'm messy, and I make up or alter recipes frequently with good results (judging my cooking based on feedback from guests).

(I probably shouldn't have picked "great cook" though -- rave reviews don't mean too much from our usual guests (dh's family and a variety of single teens and 20-somethings, almost all of whom will eat and enjoy just about anything)).

But I don't agree with your theory of cooking entirely, because I think a big part of being a good cook is intuiting which recipes will be good and knowing your audience. So even if two people follow recipes exactly, one might always be able to tell which recipe will taste best / will be enjoyed most by her family, while the other just picks one at random, with the first getting great results + the second just mediocre.

freidasima

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 5:22 pm
I'm very neat.
I make up my own recipies.
I am a so so cook.
Not bad, not great, nothing out of the ordinary.
I'm too tired to be creative.

Aidelmom

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 5:35 pm
I know someone who is a creative cook but can only work when her kitchen is clean, so go figure. Myself I'm pretty messy- I think I'm a good cook though I'm rather conventional (I don't like strange tastes) I don't use recipes though.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 6:50 pm
Sorry Seraph, I have to disagree with your theory. I'm very neat and clean and quite creative in cooking and baking but I do follow recipes too.

BTW are you Russian?

mimivan

Post Sat, May 23 2009, 7:05 pm
Ah, Methinks proved the theory isn't true in all cases (this was also a pet theory of mine, Seraph...although I think it might have been my own way of excusing my untidyness..)

yes, I have organization "issues"...but I love to have fun in the kitchen. Unfortunately, dh is the kind of guy who likes to eat the same 10 things all the time and is a bit wary about my creations (for shalom bayis, we've limited it to 1 new "creation" a week)...

but my kids love the new stuff..!

but the most annoying thing about trying something new is ...I don't know where I put the ingredients...gotta fix that problem!
One of the reasons I am a creative cook, though, is because of all the recipes I've messed up...I think I've learned more from making mistakes than I have from recipes....and some of the "mistakes" have been the best creations..

for instance, I was busy working and all the liquid from the gefilte fish dried up...the onions were getting carmelized and combined with the carrot to create a kind of crust over the outside. B'h I discovered this before it burned...it was the best gefilte fish we ever had...but I have not tried to recreate it.

Once I forgot to call the gas guy and we had no fire on Friday. Everything was done but the cholent, so I just made the cholent in the oven..Ummm...cholent done in the oven is so GOOD! (but it only works if I don't actually need the oven on Friday)..

If I had been organized, I wouldn't have discovered those two things...but I am sure organized people come up with great ideas without messing up LOL

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 12:27 am
MeThinks wrote:
Sorry Seraph, I have to disagree with your theory. I'm very neat and clean and quite creative in cooking and baking but I do follow recipes too.

BTW are you Russian?
Not at all. Just curious, why do you ask?
How does creative cook and following recipes go hand in hand? (Not saying it can't, but generally I see them as two separate things.)

HooRYou

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 2:40 am
mimi, I actually do try and do that with the gefilte fish, but don't always succeed. I also discovered it by accident.

While there are always lots of exceptions to these kinds of theories I found that with friends before getting married that they either were good cooks or good cleaners/organizers but not both. Afterward, however, almost everyone became a good cook (we all need to eat) but the messy good cooks didn't become better housekeepers. Makes me wish I started out as a neat one.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 2:59 am
easier to cook if the kitchen is clean ... but I cook up a storm and leave a mess ... and everybody raves and says I should open a restaurant ... problem is oops I can't remember the problem - oh right if I don't like it I can be my worst critic ...

Roche

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 3:17 am
Seraph wrote:
I have a theory (expounded on more in my blog http://mamamoomoo.livejournal.com/13383.html) on creativity in the kitchen vs neatness.

Basically, my theory is that people either are creative good cooks who enjoy being in the kitchen and making up recipes OR they are very neat and orderly people.

In short, the reason for my theory is that cooking is an art, and artistic people tend to be more right brain dominant, which is also tied to being messy/un-orderly. People that are very neat and tidy tend to be more logical and thought out people, left brain dominant, which is why they like to follow orderly recipes exactly instead of patchke'ing with adding "a little more of this, and a little more of that".

PS. I'm not saying that neat people can't cook, but rather that more often the neat people will tend to stick to what they know, will follow recipes exactly, and wont make all sorts of exotic and different foods. I could be wrong, but that is the theory I'd like to test out?

PPS. In the poll, try to be objective as possible if you're a great cook. Be honest, and if you truly get a TON of compliments on your food, write that, but if you think its good but don't get rave reviews, pick "I'm an ok cook."

this is SO interesting! My sil for example is extremely to the book, most of what she cooks comes from a recipe followed to the T and she is pretty simple in the way she dresses- she is also very structured organized, and her house is very bland, no decoration etc. I on the other hand cannot follow a recipe to save my life. I love doing my own thing and im very unconventional when it comes to cooking (and alot of other things too )and do get lots of compliments!. Im pretty creative and express it in different ways. im also a lefty, do you think this could be a factor?? leftys are usually kind of avant

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 4:42 am
My theory is that people that are both creative cooks and neat are neither right nor left brain dominant, but rather half half. If anyone took the test I posted (please do), please share if you're right or left brain dominant.

Roche, lefties are more often right brain dominant, so you are on to something there.

entropy

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 4:49 am
I have a theory that people who are
1) Messy
2) Creative cooks
have a greater tendancy to get hooked onto a message board. So I think the percentage of us on this poll would be higher than in the general population.

I think we are dreamers, we cook when we are inspired, not to check an item off our todo list.

I'm super left brained, but I totally fit the bill. Very messy, love to experiment in the kitchen and have great results.

grin

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 4:53 am
entropy wrote:
1) Messy
2) Creative cooks
have a greater tendancy to get hooked onto a message board. So I think the percentage of us on this poll would be higher than in the general population.

I think we are dreamers, we cook when we are inspired, not to check an item off our todo list.

I'm super left brained, but I totally fit the bill. Very messy, love to experiment in the kitchen and have great results.
Thumbs Up (me too!)

mimivan

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 6:27 am
grin wrote:
entropy wrote:
1) Messy
2) Creative cooks

Thumbs Up (me too!)

I know some very neat people who are hooked on message boards (not me!)

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 6:29 am
entropy wrote:
1) Messy
2) Creative cooks

Oh, I didnt mean this vs that. What I meant to see if more neat people click adventerous cook or pick follow recipes, and if more messy people pick creative cook vs follow recipes...
It looks like at least here my theory is somewhat right.

entropy

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 6:48 am
mimivan wrote:
I know some very neat people who are hooked on message boards (not me!)

I do too - and some of them are great creative cooks!
I still think a message board will have a higher % of messy creative cooks than the general population.

(I do tend to agree w Seraph's theory)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:51 am
Seraph wrote:
MeThinks wrote:

BTW are you Russian?
How does creative cook and following recipes go hand in hand? (Not saying it can't, but generally I see them as two separate things.)

Yesterday, when I went to your site, I noticed some Russian wording on your stationery and I checked it twice because I didn't think you were Russian. But now I don't see it anymore. Did you remove anything?

And regarding creative cooking and following recipes. What do you think? A creative person cannot appreciate ideas from others?

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 8:20 am
MeThinks wrote:
Seraph wrote:
MeThinks wrote:

BTW are you Russian?

Yesterday, when I went to your site, I noticed some Russian wording on your stationery and I checked it twice because I didn't think you were Russian. But now I don't see it anymore. Did you remove anything?

And regarding creative cooking and following recipes. What do you think? A creative person cannot appreciate ideas from others?
I consider myself a creative person and enjoy getting ideas from others- but I rarely ever follow someone else's recipes exactly- I tend to combine a few different similar recipes. Creative people, as far as I have experienced, have a hard time sticking to "what is done" because that stifles creativity and that often goes hand in hand with not following recipes.

I have a few followers on my blog that are russian. Perhaps that? Or perhaps an ad that came up automatically? I am not russian (ok, going back 5 or 6 generations I have some parts of me from areas that are in the former soviet union, but I don't speak russian).

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 10:15 am
If there are some tried and tested recipes, why not follow it? That's what I meant by doing both. I can use my creative ideas and yet enjoy someone else's. It's not a contradiction.

deams

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 10:41 am
I like when my house is neat, clean, and tidy - not necessarily is it this way. I don't feel brave enough to make up a recipe but I love trying out new foods and making deferent types of food. I like simple recipes because they take up less time and I don't have patience to spend a whole day in the kitchen. if I don't have all the ingredients I do alter the recipe a little.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics