Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
How to make Pupik (with raw chicken gizzards)

ShiffyChani

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:39 am
My DH bought raw chicken gizzards at the local market and wants me to make Pupik, but I don't know how? What I tried looking online for recipes, but I can't find any at all. I just found out that chicken gizzards can be chewy. Any got any gook Pupik recipes? Or any good recipes for chicken gizzards?

Thanks so much!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:44 am
My sister puts them in her chicken soup!

Mrs.K

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:45 am
My mom used to throw some into Chicken Soup or Fricassee. We all loved it (until she told us what it was....).

IY"H

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:46 am
Just throw them into the chicken soup! I suggest rinsing/soaking them a bit first, as they're very salty and can throw off the balance of your soup. My aunt also puts them in her ministrone soup.

YUM!

Seraph

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:50 am
Pupik is just how you say gizzards in yiddish, not a specific recipe.
How do I make mine?
I wash and clean them very well (important, because they're often full of gross looking stuff as well as a yellowish hard membrane), and then pop them in my pressure cooker for 45 minutes. (It takes 3-4 hours not in a pressure cooker.)
Then pour off the water- its very salty.
My mother serves her pupiks with fried with onions and seasoned with paprika. You generally dont need to salt as generally they are salted enough already.

I recently sliced them up, mixed them with mushrooms, made a sweet and tangy sauce, and put them in an eggroll type wrapper (homemade) and made them into a "beggars purse" and it was delicious. Quite cheap (pupiks are practically the cheapest fleishig here), and fancy too!

IY"H

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:58 am
another suggestion - why don't you ask mil how SHE makes it, that's probably what you're husband's expecting anyway...

ShiffyChani

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 1:15 pm
I'm guessing the way he had it was over rice kinda like Fricassee style with tomato sauce. He said he had it while he was learning at Brisk.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 1:30 pm
ShiffyChana, I h ope you know that you and your dh like it. It's a very ... strong taste.

egam

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:00 pm
I make them either with rice or potatoes.
Clean them and soak in water for some time, as they are usually are very salty. I do it for couple of hours, not less. I also change water after some time (if I remember). Shred a couple of carrots and sauté them in oil in the dutch oven for few minutes. Add gizzards, cup of water and sauté them till almost soft with lid on, adding water as needed. It takes about 1 1/2 hours, I think. After that spread 2 cup of raw rice on top of gizzards (don't mix it). Add water to cover rice 1" above the rice surface. Add whatever spices you like - pepper, parsley, etc. Taste for salt, you might not need it. Cover and cook till water is absorbed and rice is ready. Mix it and enjoy.
You can add potatoes instead of rice, add water to cover and cook till potatoes are ready. You can put them in your cholent. I prefer turkey gizzards thou, they are meatier and not as salty.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:33 pm
Remember that gizzards are near some very dirty organs, so you really have to clean them very well.
I use a knife and scrape each gizzard under cold running water VERY well.
Then I bring a pot of water to a fierce boil.
I add the gizzards, and boil them for 1 minute.
Then I spill out the water, drain the gizzards, and wash them very well again under cold running water.
Then back into the pot with fresh water.
Bring to a boil, and simmer of low flame for about 1 and a half hours, or until soft.
(To serve, I place them on the table in a large bowl, so that anyone who wants can add them to their soup. But don't cook them in your soup!)

This is how it's been done for generations in my family!

crbc

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:27 pm
DH cooks gizzards (pupki) almost every week for Shabbos.

ra_mom wrote:
Remember that gizzards are near some very dirty organs, so you really have to clean them very well.
Then I spill out the water, drain the gizzards, and wash them very well again under cold running water.
Bring to a boil, and simmer of low flame for about 1 and a half hours, or until soft.

He cooks them same way as ra_mom, but then he saute onions adds pupki (they are already fully cooked) and cooks them together for few more minutes. They come out really delicious.

NativeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:51 pm
My husband loves gizzards and I used to put them in chicken soup but I refuse to touch the soup if there are gizzards in it...I used to make two separate pots but found it to be too much of hassle

I've made fricassee:
p
in a stock pot saute onions and garlic in oil
add water
add gizzards (wash them first or do what raamom said in her post)
chicken necks
chicken wings
meatballs
add salt and pepper
bring to a boil and let it simmer for an hour or two?

ChossidMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 5:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
(To serve, I place them on the table in a large bowl, so that anyone who wants can add them to their soup. But don't cook them in your soup!)

How come you don't cook them in your soup?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:41 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

The Pipiklach make the soup cloudy and full of extra sodium. It ruins the taste of a perfectly clear soup.
Theoretically though, one could clean the gizzards, boil them for a minute, clean again, and then place them in the chicken soup to cook.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:45 pm
I sauteed an onion and the gizzard,s then I spiced it and added water to cook for a long time... it turned out to be a salty mess, so I just separated into bags and use it as a base for cholent each week.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:05 am
I'm glad this thread came up cause my daughter requested pupiks in the soup and I had bought them. I would've just thrown them in had I not seen this thread.

koalamum

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 12:37 am
ChossidMom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I cook them in my chicken soup and everybody loves it! Well maybe not the gizzards - but the soup! (I do like the gizzards..) I guess I just put in about 10 pieces per pot. It does make it more tasty and it does not get cloudy.

ShiffyChani

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 9:28 pm
Thanks for all the great replies and ideas!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey