Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
NOT FAIR!
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:48 pm
couldn't domestic partnership mean 2 people who just want to live together for convenience - 2 friends, siblings or whatever?

Seraph

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 2:11 pm
greentiger wrote:
Theres a really funny movie about this where a single dad convinces his guy friend to move in with him to claim benefits.
I now pronounce you chuck and larry?

greentiger

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 2:25 pm
Yeah.

mama-star

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 11:00 pm
cm, if you are going to tattle on me to yael Rolling Eyes, please mention teddy kennedy too. maybe she could straighten his liberal tush out.

louche

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:35 pm
I don't get it. In my state, "domestic partners" includes people of opposite s*x sharing living quarters. In fact it started out as people of opposite s*x, then was expanded to include same-s*x couples.

skymile

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:39 pm
what happens to people that do a relations change operation. are they still "gay" or already straight? how can they get coverage? Rolling Eyes

oh, and CM- no one has a "right" to be mean. no matter which forum.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 4:15 pm
mama-star wrote:
cm, if you are going to tattle on me to Yael Rolling Eyes, please mention teddy kennedy too. maybe she could straighten his liberal tush out.

I don't know what that means. Imamother needs to be a safe place for all of us.
She appreciates me reporting posts.

frumluv

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 4:24 pm
One of the people I work with encountered this. He wanted to add his long-time girlfriend to his company insurance, they only allow for same-relations partners, not hetero ones. He doesn't want to get married, so she'll have to syick with her own insurance.

mama-star

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 6:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
mama-star wrote:
cm, if you are going to tattle on me to Yael Rolling Eyes, please mention teddy kennedy too. maybe she could straighten his liberal tush out.

I don't know what that means. Imamother needs to be a safe place for all of us.
She appreciates me reporting posts.

I'm glad she appreciates your diligence.
do you think I'm unsafe because I enjoy bashing teddy kennedy?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:28 pm
I still don't what you mean.

I don't like when frum people discuss tv and movies though.

Clarissa

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:34 pm
I understand why these provisions were put in place, since in most states, gay couples can't marry, and they can be together for decades without being able to share benefits. What I can't completely understand is straight couples being committed enough to want to share benefits but not wanting to get married. What's the big deal? If you're that much of a couple, and you need the benefits, why not just get married? I lived with serious boyfriends but never would have expected to get on their medical insurance without getting married. It's pretty much standard.

I once met a woman who married a good friend (who was sick) just to get him medical coverage.

mimivan

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:35 pm
can I gripe about something? Maybe we can use same "gender" instead of same "relations"...the word zex means both gender and relations but it gets confusing to use the world relations and a translation for gender...

btw...you can't imagine how shocked my dh (not a native English speaker) was when someone said he worked in the field of public relations Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

sorry to go OT...yeah...what a silly law...but why am I not surprised? I think next in line for benefits are incestuous couples or men who want to move in with sheep...

Be careful with Teddy...I hear he isn't feeling well, but yeah, go have a word with him!

Last edited by mimivan on Tue, May 26 2009, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:38 pm
Cassandra can explain why gender can't be used in place of s*x, when speaking of same s*x couples or whatever.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:19 pm
I'm in favor of just s*x

bonitag1

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:34 pm
If MA allows same s*x marriage and this employer offers domestic partner insurance coverage (as opposed to spousal insurance coverage) to gay but not to straight couples, then this seems to me to be discrimination on the basis of s*xual orientation, and therefore against the law. Your brother/girlfriend should complain to HR about this, and/or talk to a lawyer. The employer should have changed the terms of its coverage once same s*x marriage became legal in MA.
Why do we have to pussyfoot around the word s*x anyway, especially when we are only using it in the sense of gender? Am I the only one who finds this silly?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:38 pm
I find it to be a good rule because when two people live together, they help each other and maybe they don't cost insurance as much! Honey, more chicken soup please!

mimivan

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 9:51 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I'm in favor of just s*x

HUH???

Oh, you means as a word as opposed to gender...gotcha.. Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics