Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
For Left handed writers or parents of lefty children

IBR

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:18 pm
To those of you who are left handed or have children who are left handed. Do you think it would have helped or would help your child to have a book that would teach alef beis writing for left handed.

cassandra

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:22 pm
My kids seem to be doing okay, my daughter actually had an easier time with ksiva than she did with English letters. I assume it's not for schools, so do you imagine that parents would want this to do with their kids outside? Or for OTs?

downsyndrome

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:26 pm
I am left-handed, as are my 2 siblings (3 out of 4 children are lefties), as was my mother a'h, the only lefty outa' 12 children (and the most brilliant and talented). Writing alef-bais never posed a problem for me nor for any of the aforementioned relatives. President Ronald Reagan was also left-handed; perhaps we should find out how he fared with his alef-bais Wink .

shayna82

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:31 pm
Im a lefty and had no problems in school except bumping arms with the person sitting on the left of me!

IBR

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:46 pm
thank you I appreciate it.

mommyofboys

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:51 pm
Im a lefty & still have the problem with bumping elbows. I cant sit by a party or simcha without bumping into the person next to me. I usually try to sit next to my sister or sister-in-law that are also left-handed.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:54 pm
My dh is a left. He writes clearly in Hebrew and English.\

As a graphologist, definitely not.

louche

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 11:44 pm
if anything, lefties fare better writing Hebrew because they don't smear the letters as their hand travels across the page--exactly the advantage that righties have when writing English. all sofrim should be lefties.

IBR

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 11:51 pm
so a left handed child doesn't need special instructions on helping them learn to write alef beis?

MOMMYRN

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 12:01 am
my dh and I are both lefty's...no problems with writing here :-)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:13 am
IBR wrote:
so a left handed child doesn't need special instructions on helping them learn to write alef beis?
I think for kids who learn english first, as in outside of israel, it is something that would help.

I am a lefty and I remember growing up that it took me a while to understand that the hebrew had to start on the other side of the page. that being said, english was very hard for me to write because I could not see what I was writting (until I got a tutor to give me some pointers of how to write).

but I think that if hebrew is their first language to learn to write, as in israel, then they may need that special instructions for english.

being a lefty is sometimes dificult with regards to writting, but not all of the time. and I also hate sitting at a table and bumping arms. I love getting the corner of a table or a round table Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 7:19 am
When a child learns a language young it is natural. One should only show the proper way to make the letter, like with arrows, make sure they hold the pencil correctly. If they do not write appropriate for their age level they should be tested for disgraphia. This is a muscle problem corrected by exercizes. As to smearing letters most children start with pencils, not fountain or even ball point pens. Sofrim are generally old enough to know how to hold their arm. If they must keep it down because they get tired easily it again could be a need for exercize.

It is not a good idea to be to machpid on how a child writes or turn it into a pressure.
No SIC, it is always harder to write left because in both languages it takes more effort to make the strokes. Try writing with your left in the air.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics