Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Would you eat at my house?
Previous  1  2  3  4

mama-star

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 4:14 am
bravo marina! I'd like to try my hand at it too...

ode to clarissa:

it's 4am and I'm still awake,
shavuos food I had to make.
at clarissa's house I was 'sposed to eat,
she said she saved a special seat.
but then I heard, to my dismay,
she supports people who are gay.
she also has friends who are men,
and even a lesbian episcopalian. (ok, private joke, sorry)
she also has a bleeding heart -
a knee-jerk liberal, yet very smart.
she sometimes daavens in a conservative shul,
she thinks paul newman is really cool.
so clarissa, my friend, I guess I can't,
eat at your house, I really shant.
in light of all aforementioned,
perhaps there'd be too much tension.
your customs are just too different from mine,
how could we possibly have a good time?
unless we made ourselves some martinis,
and watched reruns of "I dream of jeannie."
alas, on yom tov, we cannot do that,
so I'll have to stay home, that's a fact.
and that's why I'm cancelling your invitation,
at home I'll make my celebration.
and that is why I'm still awake,
all this yom tov food to make!

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 6:14 am
I wasn't part of the love-fest, just wrote it like it is. Anyway THANK YOU TO THE GIFTED POETS, you made my day!

shosh

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 6:52 am
My dear Clarissa, I probably would eat at your house. I might make you a bit crazy, asking you to find mehadrin hechsherim, or bringing them myself. I could even bring my friends Horace and Hamish, the two Chabad chickens that I always bring to my friend in Beit Shemesh.

But I'd have to ask you to provide the plane tickets for me and my kids first ....

marina

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 7:02 am
OMG. I've been upstaged. We should have a contest, like American Poet. Or Poetry Island.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 8:20 am
shosh wrote:
My dear Clarissa, I probably would eat at your house. I might make you a bit crazy, asking you to find mehadrin hechsherim, or bringing them myself. I could even bring my friends Horace and Hamish, the two Chabad chickens that I always bring to my friend in Beit Shemesh.

But I'd have to ask you to provide the plane tickets for me and my kids first ....

clarissa only allows LIVE chickens into her house, not dead ones. (perhaps not live ones either...she might be houseproud)

grin

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 8:46 am
GR wrote:
Okay, I'll admit I was side-stepping but I was also asking honestly. Kashrus is one issue, but there's also cleanliness. I know when someone walks into a house full of kids they wonder how much the kids "participated" in the food prep or about the general cleanliness level of the kitchen/bathroom.

(My mother used to sell homemade stuff out of our kitchen and she would always tell us things like our hair had to be up in the kitchen so it wouldn't get into any of the food, our house always had to be presentable for customers because who would want to eat from a gross place, etc. )

The reason I side-stepped is because you say you wouldn't be insulted but I couldn't be sure of that. There are just some things said better face to face, you know? Just in case, I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Btw, for years my non-CY co

usins hosted us and bought CY milk and disposable dishes for us. They insisted. When my sister goes to visit them, they let her be in charge of the kitchen and she cooks meals for all of them.

I just think it shouldn't be an issue between people. Different kashrus standards isn't a secret we have to hide around. If we all respect our differences and concentrate on the similarities, the world would be a much happier place.

(I don't drink coffee though, but I hope you're not insulted by that. LOL But it was a lovely offer anyway.)
Thumbs Up such a nice show of ahavas yisroel, just in time for matan torah!
how's about we keep this up at least trhough next week?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics