Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many hours do you put in cleaning?

octopus

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 10:59 pm
I find that if I don't put in at least 2- 2 1/2 hours a day in cleaning, I cannot maintain a tidy home. Am I doing something wrong or this is just the reality (and yes I'm including putting loads of laundry in to the washing machine and sorting clean stuff).

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 11:14 pm
I clean throughout the day-a little here and there-as it gets messy like this it's clean and not overwhelming.

louche

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 12:02 am
who can say? so many factors come into play: number, ages and species of household members; size of dwelling; type, style and quantity of furnishings; activities permitted in dwelling; climate; types and efficiencies of appliances; energy level of person doing the cleaning; even agility and height of person doing cleaning.

and of course, standards of cleanliness. Does "tidy" mean you can see the floor and walk from the bedroom to the front door without tripping over anything, or does it mean you can see your face in the floor and walk from the bedroom to the front door blindfolded and not trip over anything?

gryp

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 9:20 am
I don't do heavy cleaning daily. Tidying, wiping down surfaces especially in the kitchen and bathroom (hurray for sanitizing wipes), organizing, vaccuuming, and any mess that doesn't look like it can wait overnight, ie. a sticky spot on the floor, a stain on the carpet, a spill in the refrigerator, dishes waiting to be washed (I thank Hashem every day for my treife sinks), etc. And laundry about 3-4 times a week.

I have no idea how long I spend on it because it's been a long time since my kids have allowed me to work straight at any job. A few minutes here and there throughout the day when the toys and stuff are starting to get out of control, plus morning tidying after the kids are in school (making the beds, vaccuming, and picking up any mess the kids made that morning, breakfast dishes, etc) and evening tidying (cleaning up from dinner, making sure the kitchen is ready for a new day tomorrow, vaccuming, and picking up whatever mess the kids managed to make by the bathtime-bedtime routine, taking out the garbage, etc).

We heavy-clean for Shabbos, but I'll admit sometimes the week just escapes us by. It's not the biggest deal (hurray for sanitizing wipes) and we make sure we have time for it by the time the next week rolls around.

I have to remind myself a lot that "clean is a temporary state," and that even if I did have a chance to clean yesterday, chances are it wouldn't have stayed clean by today.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 10:01 am
you're asking me ?!?!?!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 10:22 am
Are you cleaning or tidying? Heavy work like scrubbing I do on a schedule. tidying is never finsihed !

octopus

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 10:33 am
so I've been on a cleaning streak. So even if I wake up to a totally clean house, to maintain that level, I have to put in my two hours. I have two kids two and under. They make trails wherever they go. I'm not a meshugane, I let my kids breathe. but they breed mess wherever they go. The cheerios travel in their diapers...anyhow if I clean up after breakfast, lunch, and dinner- all that takes time. The living room becomes the toy mess. That I do after they go to sleep. Laundry can take time- especially if I have to spray ten gajillion dirty kiddy clothes. I try to scrub down the kitchen every night. Disinfect counters and sinks. and sweep up (yet again). During the morning I straighten up the bedrooms (my little ones help me). What takes long is the main floor at night. Maybe it takes so long because I move slower then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics