Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Rubber pans

e1234

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 4:05 am
I bought this rubber tube pan - it seemed the newest thing out there where you pull the rubber off the cake.
Anyway I made a cake (first time recipe so maybe that's the problem) and it tasted like rubber -- is there anything I need to know about the pans? it was expensive and I bought 2 of them so It's a shame if I never use it again but the cake I made in it went straight to the garbage.

Blair

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 4:15 am
I have been using them for years and my cakes have never had the taste of rubber. Did you wash the pan well the first time and did you season it first buy applying margarine to it and you should never have to do that again. Also it is best to not wash the pan after each use just wipe it out just like the real bakeries do.

Marion

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 5:33 am
Silicone, not rubber. Rubber melts.

As Blair said, you should be pre-washing it once with hot, soapy water, and coating it once with oil or margarine. You should not have to coat it again. HOWEVER, I would NOT recommend not washing between uses. Silicone doesn't require the heavy duty scrubbing that aluminum does, but it still needs to be washed!

(Also, IME, "real bakeries" do not use silicone, they use lined aluminum. Tins lined with parchment/baking paper do not need to be washed every time because the food never actually comes in contact with the tin. Any baking sheet/pan/tin that comes in direct contact with food SHOULD be washed every time. If I found a bakery that didn't do so I would be reporting them to the Health Department.)

Blair

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 5:55 am
More and more bakeries using them and they do not wash them they never wash the pans either. Take it from a professional. I wok should never be washed with soap and water only water.

e1234

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:07 am
Quote:
and did you season it first buy applying margarine to it

No I did not do this
what was I supposed to do?
It didn't come with any instructions.

Marion

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 10:05 am
Blair wrote:
More and more bakeries using them and they do not wash them they never wash the pans either. Take it from a professional. I wok should never be washed with soap and water only water.

Well, I can only speak from my manual-labour experience in 3 different bakeries in 2 different cities as to the washing practices of a business. If you're a professional then you must know better. As to the wok, don't have the space for one, so I make do with a lowly frying pan.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 12:05 pm
I never proofed mine or did anything and never got any odd taste. I love them because I fold them in a drawer as opposed to taking a whole kitchen closet. They are also much easier to clean. I also don't wash them each time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics