Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Belly button/cord - burning off

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 3:11 am
My infant's belly button didn't heal properly after the umbilical cord came off so the doctor is sending us next week to have it "burned off." I recognize this procedure as I believe I had it done for something else at some point. But has anyone had it done for this purpose? Of course I'll ask the dr these things at the time, though I want to know in advance if I could (plus I don't know this dr. Just got a recommendation from my regular dr).
Does the procedure itself hurt?
How long does the procedure take?
Does the recovery hurt?
Can the baby lie on it's stomach until it heals?
Do diapers need to be folded down so as to not touch the belly button?
Oy I'm scared!

Does anyone know why the belly button wouldn't heal properly?

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 5:37 am
my dr did it in office. they use the same liquid they use to burn off warts. we had to do it 4 times till it was effective. it only hurt the baby the last 2 times and that's when she cried if she was on her stomach for more than 5 minutes.

you do have to fold down the diapers cuz it can't get wet till it heals.
procedure takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on how thorough the dr is.

I don't know why it dosn't heal properly but I heard that its very common.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:13 am
I had it with my second baby. The dr gave me a prescription for a cauterising stick, and we just had to dab it on the wet area that hadn't sealed. It took a couple of minutes because the baby doesn't lay still, and you have to be careful not to get it all over the regular skin, but I didn't have to repeat it. With my third, I thought I was going to have to do it again, but it healed by itself after a couple of week, and by the time he was 8 weeks old, it was fine.

drumjj

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 8:25 am
I had it this time with my daughter, its very minor dont worry about it. it doesnt really hurt them sometimes I just takes longer than others to heal.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 8:52 am
yes, my ds had this. It was a chemical thing, not like burning it off with fire. He didn't notice it at all. He was a couple mos old.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 8:52 am
OP here-

I think it does hurt. I used to work in a dermatologist's office and this "freezing" method seems to burn, no? About how long does it take for things to get back to normal after the procedure? And it generally does take more than one time of doing this? I assume they dont do a local anasthetic? And how does this procedure help the healing process? So they baby can't lie on his/her stomach until it is healed? Joy... And I guess no baths covering the belly button until it is healed?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:22 am
http://www.americanpregnancy.o.....d.htm

How do I Care for my Baby’s Umbilical Cord?

* Keep the area clean. Some pediatricians recommend cleaning the base of the cord with rubbing alcohol after every diaper change. Other pediatricians prefer that the stump is left completely alone, because alcohol is believed to irritate the skin and sometimes delays healing. Other alternative methods in caring for your baby’s cord include the use of Goldenseal Root and Echinacea. It is best to consult your child’s pediatrician for his/her recommendation.
* Keep the area dry. Allow the cord to be exposed to air as often as possible. This allows the base of the cord to dry and will decrease the amount of time that is required for healing to occur. Using newborn diapers that have a special cut out or folding your baby’s diaper down will help keep the cord from being irritated. If weather permits, dress your baby in a t-shirt and diaper only to allow more time for the cord to dry out.
* Only give sponge baths. Do not bathe your baby in a sink or special tub until after the umbilical cord has fallen off.
* Allow the cord to heal naturally. It may be tempting to “help” the cord dry out and fall off especially if it appears to be hanging on by a thread, but it is best to allow this to happen naturally. Refrain from picking and pulling the cord off.

What are the Signs of Infection?

* Base of the cord appears red or swollen
* Continues to bleed
* Oozes yellowish or white pus
* Produces a foul smelling discharge
* Seems painful to your baby

When Should I call my Baby’s Pediatrician?

* If there are signs of infection
* If the cord is actively bleeding. This normally occurs if the cord is pulled off prematurely. Active bleeding is defined as when a drop of blood is wiped away another drop appears.

What is an Umbilical Granuloma?

This is characterized by a small nodule of firm pinkish-red tissue (similar to scar tissue) with persistent yellow-green drainage, but it is not accompanied by swelling, redness, warmth, tenderness, or a fever. Many times this will go away in a week with the frequent application of rubbing alcohol, or your child’s pediatrician can treat this in the office by cauterizing the area. Cauterization includes applying silver nitrate to the area, which burns the tissue. There are no nerve endings in the area, so it is not painful. Liquid nitrogen can also be used to freeze the area. A surgical thread can be tied around the base of the granuloma, which causes it to die and fall off.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:23 am
my baby needed cauterization ... it was a one-time procedure which helped the belly button heal quicker as it was infected ... I wouldn't worry too much ... just follow instructions on keeping it clean ...

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:22 am
Does it turn all black and gross again?

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Does it turn all black and gross again?

yup, if you want I can post a picture of my daughter after the last time.... takes about a week to heal, the black stuff fall off and there is thee sealed belly button.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 9:50 am
The appointment is tomorrow. Yuck.

drumjj

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 10:59 am
its really not a major deal and u can wet it and stuff if not I wouldnt have been able to give my daughter a bath for about six weeks. and as greeny said it doesnt hurt them at all.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 1:06 pm
Well, the surgeon said nothing needed to be done! He said it is red because of the umbilical hernia. I think that's a little odd... Red from the hernia, but nothing needs to be done with it yet? (I know you are supposed to wait till a child is older, but this does not look normal!)
I'm nervous because I know and trust the family dr who sent us (who was sure it needed to be burned off) but I don't know this surgeon guy. I hope he is right. So phew for now. He said to come back in a year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics