Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby gasping for air in the wind

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:02 pm
When I go out in the wind with my 10 months old baby, he gasps for breath so I try to block his face. At first when he was younger, I thought it was b/c he's a newborn. I'm just curious if it happens to your babies and if its a symptom of anything. I did check online if it symptoms of asthma, but it doesnt seeem like it. He also doesnt have any other symptoms of gasping for air at other times. I dont remember my other children reacting like this.
btw, I am going to a dr. next week with him but just wondering til then...
Thanks

timeout

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:12 pm
does he also wheeze? It could just be your baby I know when I'm out in really cold weather for a while I wheeze. Go to the Doc tell him to check for Astma RSV and the babys' chest which your Doc will do anyway.

Do u put a plastic on your carriage?

I found it worked with my son no gasping for air.

Tovah

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:14 pm
both my kids did it. my son is 11 months and yup still gasping the worst is when they fall asleep in the car and u hope u can get in to put him to bed but then he wakes up from the cold.

red sea

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:22 pm
One of my kids did that actually still does but not as bad as when he was tiny, he used to cry terribly couldn't stand it, but my kid with asthma was never bothered by wind.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:35 pm
I dont eat even walk, im just talking from house to car... he never wheezes

miriam

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:54 pm
People are scaring you. It's nothing - if you blow in a babies face (any baby) they gasp and hold their breath.

It's called a mamalian reflex, it also happens if the face is covered by water (even by adults).

It's what keeps them from breathing in utero, and what starts them breathing after.

If you want to take your baby swimming, blow in their face then dunk them under. Also works for a bath.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:20 am
That's what I was going to say too! It is just an instinctive reflex. When babies feel wind blowing in their faces, they think they are suffocating, and instinctively gasp for air. The get scared too. I rain type cover for the stroller blocks wind too, and cures the problem - it is not temperature related.
DK

technic

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 3:31 am
could this be the ONLY thread where no-one says "ask a rav"??? LOL

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 8:18 am
I would check with a doctor. someone I know had a child that did that, it ending up being an obstruction of the trachea with the only symptoms being gasping for breath from the wind.
It's probably not something, but you're better off calming yourself by having a doctor check him/her out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics