Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Eyeglasses

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 10:29 am
so insurance only covers up to a certain amount ... and specific/limited frames ... what do you think of a teen paying for her own eyeglasses - I don't have the monies ...

Daveet

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 11:39 am
How about this for an alternative. http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 11:47 am
don't think one could purchase without first trying on a pair of eyeglasses ...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 11:51 am
B"H we have insurance too. I don't think I could go online with it. We were in for a minor rude awakening as the coverage is B"H the same but the frames all cost more. Are there any acceptable frames within the (pardon the pun) framework that they allow, or that you could handle? Maybe you could meet halfway - you pay say, $25, 50, or whatever you can manage, and they do the rest? (Assuming your kid knows how to keep it real and doesn't want something ridiculous.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 12:09 pm
there's two-fold guilt here ... first off I've been wearing eyeglasses forever and have had to take care of my own eyes - including eyeglasses - and I'm very picky ... so I should know the struggles ...

second I couldn't put in any monies and she knew this going in - but I'm the mother so I should ...

beila

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 12:35 pm
I only make my kids pay for glasses when they don't have their glasses due to irresponsibility --broke them by playing silly, lost them, misused them, etc. Otherwise, I figure my obligation is to give them what they need, and they need to see properly. I don't have any insurance, and it hurts every time.

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 12:47 pm
Tell what you're willing to pay, and let her pay the difference.

This is what my parents used to do when I wanted something "designer" as a teen. They'd give me the money for what they'd normally buy, and I'd pay the difference with my own money.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 12:48 pm
Do you have options as to where you can get glasses? Check out a few stores. I know that we - a number of family members recently - were all able to find glasses that only cost us $25 more than the minimum (I.e. frames were covered up to $125 and there was nothing cheaper than 150, but there was an adequate selection for 150). If you can honestly say that there is a selection she can live with, don't let yourself feel guilty. Like I tell my kids when we go shopping, you may not get exactly what you want, but I will be sure that you like whatever you get. (Works for me in the thrift shop ;-)

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 4:40 pm
What about her father paying for the glasses?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 4:49 pm
so insurance covered a certain amount ... can I consider that my share ?! dunno ... What

so in the end her father covered 1/2 and she the other 1/2 ... still a good amount of dinero ... 8)

raspberry tea

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:31 am
I love love love Zenni optical, like someone posted the link for. Their high end glasses are going for $30 and it appears to me they are the same quality as you are shelling out the big bucks for. An equivalent was $300 at our Dr's optical shop.

If you know the style that works for your face, that's what you look for on their site. I have been really successful there. It's the only place I'll buy for my DH and son.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children