Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Please help me schedule!

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:04 am
I have been married a little over a year now and just cannot get a schedule going. Please send me cooking food schedules and cleaning schedules that work for you. I really want to make the change...I am a professional procarastinator and a perfectionist...which makes me really stressed out pretty much all the time. I want to set a scheudule but tommorow and stick to it. Having daily tasks that must get done before bed etc so that I'm not a nutcase, or even worse driving my dh up the wall, every Erev Shabbos.

TIA!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 7:44 am
Like for dinner, you mean ....Sunday meat, Monday dairy, Tuesday fish or Chinese, Wednesday sandwiches, Thursday leftovers ?

YALT

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 11:45 am
I think she means
Like Sunday clean kitchen (well!)
Monday clean bathroom & all floors
Tuesday laundry
Wednesday shopping
Thursday cooking
Friday clean whole house

not a good plan, I was just trying to suggest what I THINK you meant.

I, myself am also terrible at making a schedule.

I normally do shopping on Thursday, and try to get 2 things done from shabbos cooking.
Cakes I try to make Sunday or Wednesday, since certain cakes taste better after the freezer.
I have some help on Mondays & Fridays, so that's when my house gets spic'n'span. Although for the summer I'll be minimizing to once a week.

tato

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 12:15 pm
ok so after I had my baby I realized that life would be so much easier if I have order and schedules.
so I started looking at all the things that went wrong because I was not organized and went from there.
for me it was 3 things.. things to do before shabbat, shopping grocery list, and cleaning the house.
so I made myself to do list of those things and they are hung up on my fridge.

for shabbat to do list I wrote down all the things that I had forgotten to do that made my shabbat less "oneg"
I seperated it by rooms in the house.. like:

kitchen

turn the plata (blech) on (yes.. we ate cold food the entire shabbat.. yuck)
cut bounty
turn frigde lights off
put water in ern
put crock pot on "keep warm"
take garbage out

Door
turn alarm off

Living Room
lights on
disconnect phone

Bathroom
cut toilet paper
prepare shabbat toothpaste
turn night light on

Baby
open diapers

so sometimes to make my life easier if I have time.. I precut my diapers bounty and toilet paper that way im not rushing on erev shabbat.
right beforei light my candles I go to the fridge and look one by one to see if I did it and im prepared.
you dont know how much it has helped in my shalom bayt and oneg shabbat.

if u want me to continue w the other 2 thing (grocery and cleaning) let me knwo.. I dont want to make this post too long if its not helping anyone

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 12:36 pm
I made a schedule today. I wrote down a few tasks for the morning that needed to get done with how much time I was willing to dedicate to those things. I did the same for the afternoon. ex: 20 min washing dishes 25 min clean room) I also added up the times to show myself how much work time and how much free time I would end up having. I'm hoping that if I keep this up all week I'll feel good that I really got things done. I finished all the morning jobs. The afternoon things I did not finish so I guess whatevers left I'll put on tomorrow's list.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:00 pm
Thanks for your replies and ideas. It's a combination of all of the above...really my household is flying and there really isn't any reason for it to be this way other than my complete and utter procrastination and perfectionism. I need to take time out to organize our house, which is a problem in itself since we have no storage (our furniture was even custom made to be smaller than standard so it fits nicer in the apmt!) and since my dh lived alone for awhile before our marriage he has an accumulation of stuff that I can't get rid of and he doesn't have time to organize so it just sits all over the living room mocking me.

But the things that I can get better control over are my cleaning and cooking and making schedules for them. I would like to hear what worked for other SAHMs without cleaning help. Or if you have cleaning help what did you have her do on which days...I made a tentative schedule this morning, say clean bathroom on Monday and Thursday, vaccuum and mop on Sunday and Wednesday, dust Tuesday...I think that this sounds reasonable and the spacing is ok...but what works for your household? Which days do you find are best to do certain things and why? Also with cooking and baking...what's the rhythm that works for you? I want to try it out! Wink Thanks!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:10 pm
Baking cakes and challa: these things can be frozen so you can do them on days you have time, even if it's Sunday or Wednesday.
Shopping: Tuesday or Wednesday. Once for the whole week. Make a list, keep it on the fridge, and add what you are missing so you aren't left short.
Cooking for Shabbat: no earlier than Thursday.
Cleaning for Shabbat: Thursday or Friday. Do the stove top every week so no accumulation. Use a degreaser on the grates. Bleach around the sink to prevent mold and germs. Throw sponges into the bleach.
Laundry: whenever there is a load. Fill up the machine with darks - wash. Fill it up with whites - wash. Fold a few loads together, if possible.
If you deep clean Thursday or Friday, give the house a quick going over on Sunday and on Wed. That means make sure the toilets and sinks are clean, kitchen floor is mopped, LR is in order - just quickie so you dont have that much work when you do the major cleaning.
Ironing: Once every few weeks, when you can listen to music and get it all done at once (if you have ironing).
Change the linens: wash and put right back on beds..
Daily: Make the bed, clear the clutter around the bed, clear the clutter from dressers. Check DR and kitchen table and try to keep clear. Try and keep counters cleared off every night. Wash dishes. Put away pots, pans and dishes which aren't in use.
Monthly: Wipe out the fridge. Discard anything you won't be using again. Check your freezer and stock it accordingly. Check that you oven is reasonably clean.

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:15 pm
thanks Tamiri that sounds like a good start!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 2:59 pm
I'm awful about schedules. However, one thing I do that helps me tremendously. I do my big shoppings on Mondays or Tuesdays. The stores are deserted, no one in the checkout lines, and when you're pushing a double stroller with 2 kids who'd rather be at the park, and pulling a shopping cart behind you, the empty aisles are a huge plus! Yes, we do have a corner grocery for last minute items I may have forgotten/run out of, but the major shopping is at the beginning of the week.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 2:53 am
Good Advice Tamari (as usual!!)

I recently went though my house and made lists for every room. What it means to clean that room. I haven't done all the rooms yet, but I"m working on it. I used home management books (I'm sure you could check out of the library), internet, and just my common sense. I plan on printing them out and putting in a plastic sleeve. Then the day I am cleaning that room, I will just check off everything as I do it. I think most rooms should take me 30 - 60 minutes if done once a week, maybe even less.

The other thing I have done is started taking care of the laundry in the beginning of the week. On Sunday & Monday I do about 4 loads a day. By Tuesday most of it is done and I can focus on doing a load or 2 and getting everything away. No laundry on Friday now, and only 1 load on Thursday. Much easier for me.

If you have the space & budget a freezer is a huge lifesaver. I can bake all day one day and have deserts for a month or 2. I can also stock up and not have to shop every week (except fresh fruits / veggies & milk). I find it easier to do a big shop every 4 - 6 weeks, and then just fill in. I also spend less that way. And since I have a freezer, I can always have a stock of our favorite conviene foods (fish sticks, etc) but I always buy them on sale so they are not expensive. When the fish sticks are buy 1 get one 1/2 price, I get 4 packages and don't need any more until the next sale.

EM

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 3:22 am
have you ever heard of flylady? www.flylady.net
its a little intense but you can pick and choose and its cute... check it out Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics