Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many of us are there? Into frugality and healthy living
1  2  3  Next

How would you describe yourself?
Frugal, making things from scratch, healthy eating, natural parenting, homeschooling  
 9%  [ 6 ]
4/5 of the above-which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
3/5 of the above-which?  
 19%  [ 12 ]
2/5 of the above- which?  
 17%  [ 11 ]
1/5 of the above- which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
None of the above  
 22%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 63

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:55 am
I noticed that there are a few members here who have a similar philosophy and lifestyle, and was wondering just how many of us there are?

I'm talking about women who are into living frugally, like to make things from scratch if possible, into healthy eating, natural parenting (for the most part), and possibly into the idea of homeschooling, even if they don't do it themselves.

If you fit into that criteria, even if partially, speak up. I like to know like minded women.

Last edited by Seraph on Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Inspired

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 10:01 am
I'm not sure how to vote. I try to be frugal and make things from scratch when possible. I fully believe in healthy eating and strive for it. I am pro natural parenting and do as much as possible. I support homeschooling and would unschool if I was living a different type of life.

Inspired

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 10:08 am
double post.

Last edited by Inspired on Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:06 am
So even if you don't do these things 100% but you support it and do it as much as you can, then vote for it, even if you're not currently doing it all.

GetReal

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:18 am
I support all these things in the right amounts and the right time...for example, I like to make my own baby food, for health reasons and economic reasons. But there are times that I am busy, and my baby will benefit more from baby jars and a calmer mom. Homeschooling depends on the kid, the school, the parents, etc but I see many mailos to it.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:18 am
We eat healthfully and somewhat frugally but I'm not making a religion out of it.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:40 am
Would like to healthy, but not so good at it.
Frugal-yes
make things from scratch-yes, I like to
natural parenting-breastfeeding yes, but pro-vaccinations, & pretty standard views.
homeschooling-not for me

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:48 am
Frugal, no way!

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:17 pm
Inspired wrote:
I'm not sure how to vote. I try to be frugal and make things from scratch when possible. I fully believe in healthy eating and strive for it. I am pro natural parenting and do as much as possible. I support homeschooling and would unschool if I was living a different type of life.

Same here..

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:31 pm
into healthy eating - well, some things we eat are healthy ;-)

natural parenting (for the most part) - I guess I am. Nurse for one full year, homemade baby food, cosleep (Arm's reach cosleeper, then baby in own crib in our room, now he is turning 3 and still in our room in a cute little bed), hold baby don't let him cry. I use a stroller rather than wearing babies because wearing hurts my joints.

into the idea of homeschooling - in addition to - not instead of - going out to school

mimivan

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:38 pm
yes, I try to be into frugality and healthy eating but I find a conflict of interest sometimes...
organic foods (which I cannot afford to buy but know I would feel much better if I ate them) are out of my budget, as well as sheeps milk products. (I don't eat dairy my kids do)
A pay up for whole wheat flour with a good hechsher but I save money by baking alot of my own stuff
we eat a lot of rice and beans...very cheap and healthy...
I try to nurse as long as I can, but won't avoid formula like the plague (this time, my baby had an underweight issue, so I do give him formula now in addition to nursing) event though I know formula is probably not the healthiest...if I don't have the milk, I just don't have it (and he's ten months)

I was an attachment parent, not so much anymore...except co sleeping and baby wearing
try to give birth without an epidural or interventions, but never say never is my motto..
and I'm sick of sending my babies out before they are old enough to tell me what is going on in their misgeret...but only considering keeping home until 3 maximum...
Just trying our best here!

Last edited by mimivan on Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:43 pm
Just because one does the above does not mean those type of women are like-minded.

natmichal

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:43 pm
Hi there
Frugal - yes, even though it's part because of budget limits. But I don't think we'll change that much when we be"h have a bit more to spend...
Make things from scratch - yes as much as we can and is possible time wise. ie we make our own bread cake and cookies but not pasta or yogurt...
Eat healthy - definitely. I do allow my kids to a "poison food coloring sweet" they are given by other people on shabbat, but we don't let these things come into our house, given a few exceptions for special occasions. whole wheat, little or no marg, check the E numbers etc
Natural parenting - I'm a bit "strict" as a parent, but breastfed #2 for 1 1/2 years pretty much on demand (#1 was a different story for medical reasons), I give them shots the conventional way - my kids got to live thanks to doctors, so I trust them!
Homeschooling. would love to. but I can't for several reasons...

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:05 pm
Frugal -- well, one woman's frugal is another woman's spendthrift. I try to save money, but I spend as well.

making things from scratch -- I think this is what you really meant by frugal, but the fact is that making from scratch isn't always frugal.

healthy eating, -- I try. DH doesn't try. And I'm trying with DS. I had a wonderful moment last night when he came into the kitchen and said something smelled delicious, could he have some ... and it was Brussels sprouts. Fact is that we eat junk. We don't refer to it as poison. Its a treat. Treats are just that, treats. Not meals, not every day fare. Something special.

natural parenting -- has anyone ever said that they prefer UNnatural parenting??? I'm a BF advocate even though I was personally unable to BF, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, don't let the baby cry, vaccinating, try natural remedies but have no problem with medicine of doctors, kind of a girl.

homeschooling - in theory or practice? On the internet, I far too often run across people who can't write a grammatical sentence and admit that they can't do anything but the most rudimentary mathematics, but who claim to be able to effectively homeschool their kids. I also have at least one friend whose idea of homeschooling is to allow the kids to play video games most of the day, then to cram in some computer-based school programming in the 3 weeks before state-mandated testing. All of this sours me on the idea of homeschooling. I do, nevertheless, believe that it can be done, and done well, by the right parents with the right child. I don't necessarily believe that its optimal for all kids, particularly as many kids benefit from an unbiased educator.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
Just because one does the above does not mean those type of women are like-minded.
It means they are like minded in this sense, even if not in other ways.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:19 pm
Barbara wrote:
Frugal -- well, one woman's frugal is another woman's spendthrift. I try to save money, but I spend as well.

making things from scratch -- I think this is what you really meant by frugal, but the fact is that making from scratch isn't always frugal.

Right, so those two do overlap a lot. Frugal meaning trying to find the cheapest thing available or making it yourself if it is cheaper and not an insane amount of work. (What is more expensive to make from scratch?)
When I was thinking frugal, I was thinking people who'll serve rice and beans, try to make their own bread, don't buy ready made foods from a takeout place, etc... Like a truly frugal person would probably not go out for a weekly manicure and to a restaurant once a week or more, etc... A frugal person probably would be living that way of life and not be embarrassed to share tips on how to save money. Of course I'm generalizing.

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:50 pm
I have ideals but sometimes can't stick to them for the sake of my sanity or my family's. I keep re-evaluating as new situations crop up.
I don't like leaving my babies to cry in the crib but sometimes I have no choice.
I can't stand the ices my son gets in school on an almost daily basis but I know fighting it wouldn't be good for him emotionally at this point, so instead I try and cut out sugar even more from other areas of his diet.
I don't like nursing but feel it is my job as a mother to nurse for 12 months. My baby self-weaned at 10 months, I didn't have much choice in the matter.
I love teaching my kids new things and watching their faces as they learn something new, but I know the school atmosphere is good for them, so I send them.
I don't buy much ready-made foods from the store but the ones I do, I choose carefully. And I don't buy takeout often but when I do, it isn't because I like to spend, it's because it's a necessity at that point. I just try not to think about the bill that much because it ruins my appetite.
I never even considered using baby food jars. They were never in my house growing up so it wasn't even on my mind when my oldest got to that stage.

Last edited by gryp on Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:44 pm
2/5

frugal- I try to make good investments, so that my money isn't wasted on something cheap and somewhat disposable.

make things from scratch- I don't find that making everys single thing from scratch saves me a significant amount of money, and I really don't find it necessary. (Don't have the time or headspace either.) Ok, I'll make pizza from scratch. But I'll buy the tomato sauce.

healthy eating- absolutely.

natural parenting- totally not informed enough and don't appreicate some of the things that go with it. I sleep miserably with a baby in my bed, have fed formula for my own peace of mind and sanity, and insist on having my children vaccinated. I refuse to discuss putting my children in cloth diapers with anyone unless she commits to changing and cleaning the diapers for me.

homeschooling- don't like the idea.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:57 pm
great questions seraph

I am 3/5.

Frugal... I spend on quality things that will last, but I don't give in to impulse shopping or buying more than we need. DH once told me its easier to save $$$ than to earn it and he's right! I always think of that when I'm shopping.

make from scratch... My family likes my home cooking better than anything store bought (except for fish sticks!) and it does save us money. If my week is hectic I will buy the frozen pie shells or french fries instead of making them myself... because its better to have a not-overburdened wife/mommy in the home than to make everything from scratch.

healthy... OMG, you have no idea. I can't believe some of the things I can get my kids to eat (whole wheat and ground flax seed brownies... whole wheat carrot muffins). B"H!!! My DH is really a health nut so we eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies and we're starting to go all organic (but I have to adjust to how much this costs... which goes back to frugality)

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:03 pm
Seraph wrote:
Barbara wrote:

Right, so those two do overlap a lot. Frugal meaning trying to find the cheapest thing available or making it yourself if it is cheaper and not an insane amount of work. (What is more expensive to make from scratch?)
When I was thinking frugal, I was thinking people who'll serve rice and beans, try to make their own bread, don't buy ready made foods from a takeout place, etc... Like a truly frugal person would probably not go out for a weekly manicure and to a restaurant once a week or more, etc... A frugal person probably would be living that way of life and not be embarrassed to share tips on how to save money. Of course I'm generalizing.

OldYoung used the example of tomato sauce -- is it really cheaper for me to buy tomatoes and cook them than to buy a 79 cent can? Ditto crackers, which someone once mentioned baking. I probably buy one box of crackers for $3 or so twice a year. I can't imagine that baking, then trying to keep them fresh, would cost me less.

Remember, it may be frugal for me to buy a classic, well-made suit that's on sale, but still costs a lot, while it would not be frugal for you to buy the same suit. Why? I work in an office, and wear suits several times a week. A lesser quality item wouldn't hold up. You work in a different environment, and wear a suit less frequently; a lower-quality item may well last for years for you. Ditto tee shirts. You work with kids. Your shirts probably get stained rather quickly. Actually, come to think of it, I'm a slob. So I worry less about quality on shirts that I'll probably stain than I do skirts that may last a long time.

Same thing kids' clothes. I have one son. For me, the idea is to buy clothes that will survive until he outgrows them. If I had 4 boys, I would want to buy clothes that might cost more at first, but be less expensive in the long run as hand-me-downs.

So frugal differs by personal situation.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics