Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Frugal- by nature or by neccesity

Frugal-
By nature?  
 20%  [ 19 ]
By necessity?  
 18%  [ 18 ]
By both?  
 33%  [ 32 ]
Not frugal  
 22%  [ 21 ]
Other.  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 95

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:25 pm
If you're frugal, are you that way by necessity? Because your financial state doesnt allow you to be otherwise? Or is it by nature? Would you still be frugal if you had more money?

I think I'm a little of both. Certain things I cant possibly fathom buying, because even if I was rich, it would just be so out of my budget and so much easier to make at home that I couldnt justify spending more when I can make it myself for a fraction of the price without much work. (Pasta sauce is one example. I can't fathom buying it, making it is second nature to me, but some people think "What? You make it yourself?!?")
I probably would spend more on some luxuries if I had more money, but I don't think I'd ever be the type to make a lot of money and somehow not have anything end up in my savings, like some people I know.

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:29 pm
I am frugal by nature and by necessity.. I find it a challenge. I am always looking for new ways to do it..

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:33 pm
by nature. even if I were a millionaire, I would not spend money like water. although, like you said Seraph, there would be certain luxuries I'd allow myself if I had the money, but most things, I'd still be frugal with.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:40 pm
Definitely by necessity/learning from dh.

Dh is very frugal by nature and it means a lot to him even when we're doing well. By nature, I wouldn't spend crazy amounts on things but I would let so called "small money" fly easier like eating out lunch, cleaning lady etc...

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:52 pm
It's actually a wonderful question. Don't have an answer right now, but just wanted to applaud the question!

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:55 pm
Tova wrote:
It's actually a wonderful question. Don't have an answer right now, but just wanted to applaud the question!
Thanks!

louche

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:08 pm
I freely admit to being a miser. Waste is evil no matter whose money is being spent, so I will bring home from the hotel the little bar of soap that I used for my shower. What's the point of throwing it in the trash? I'm also one of those people who cut open a tube of toothpaste to get the last dribs that you can't squeeze out. This is not from necessity--those few cents' worth won't make me ot break me--but from nature.

Once upon a time I used to be a bit embarrassed about this, till I learned that when yaakov was returning to Canaan from Haran, he went back across the river to retrieve some small jars he left behind. He was at that point an extremely wealthy man, and those little jars weren't valuable. But his going back to retrieve them was considered a virtue. If Yaakov, who was wealthy, was praised for being careful with his money, lo kol sheken I, who am by no stretch of the imagination wealthy. (Not poverty-stricken, but definitely on the lower end of the middle-class spectrum.)

red sea

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:15 pm
I said other. I don't consider myself to be frugal but I try to not waste so there is overlapping types of things I do. I can't say frugal besides because there are many times quality & other factors of importance come first over the dollars and cents because being non wasteful comes first.

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 6:51 pm
By necessity, for sure.

I am not frugal in nature at all.

My dh is like me.

We were both raised in homes where money was tight, and in our home money is tight too. However, it would be just fine and dandy for both of us to hire the following, if we could afford to:

Chef
Full time cleaning help
Part time nanny
Personal trainers

And to buy a beautiful house, tons of clothes, jewelry, a few cars, etc.

And we would hire ppl to fix our steps if they broke, and not attempt to cement them ourselves a la twizzlers. Lol twizz.

Shirley

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 9:11 pm
Ridiculously frugal to the point of being pained when I spend money - on myself. I'll gladly buy for others. Oddly enough I feel like the spending is justified if someone else is enjoying it. I've tried to analyze this idiosyncrasy - but can't seem to get a handle on it.

I feel badly if I spend 50 bucks on myself, but would think nothing of chipping in to a gift with that amount. I'll be upset if I bought for an extra dollar at lunch, but will gladly drop that dollar into the outstretched hand on the street.

Three of those scenarios actually happened today (all except the buying for fifty bucks for myself) - and I was trying to understand my weird relationship with money. It doesn't matter if my pockets are heavier or lighter at the time. I honestly don't know what it is.

Any insight?

mamacita

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 12:56 am
It depends on what. I would spend a fortune on kitchen stuff and all kinds of healthy but expensive foods/ingredients, kitchen gadgets, etc if I could, but other things, no way. I hate spending more than $20 (ok, really $10) on a single article of clothing

wif

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 4:58 am
Shirley wrote:
Ridiculously frugal to the point of being pained when I spend money - on myself. I'll gladly buy for others. Oddly enough I feel like the spending is justified if someone else is enjoying it. I've tried to analyze this idiosyncrasy - but can't seem to get a handle on it.

I feel badly if I spend 50 bucks on myself, but would think nothing of chipping in to a gift with that amount. I'll be upset if I bought for an extra dollar at lunch, but will gladly drop that dollar into the outstretched hand on the street.

Three of those scenarios actually happened today (all except the buying for fifty bucks for myself) - and I was trying to understand my weird relationship with money. It doesn't matter if my pockets are heavier or lighter at the time. I honestly don't know what it is.

Any insight?

Yes! I am the exact same way. After 10 years of psychoanalyzing myself, I came to the understanding, with the help of my husband, that I am simply nuts.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 5:52 am
A bit of both.

I don't want to waste money no matter how much I have. On the other hand, I consider it even worse to waste time (no comments from the peanut gallery on what I'm doing right now, please Wink ). So if I had the money to just buy pasta sauce, for example, I would, and then I'd spend more time with dh/with the kids/ doing something else productive/ just enjoying myself and not cooking. But I wouldn't go out and buy jewelry, or things like that, because it doesn't take any less time than not wearing jewelry.

OTOH while I like to think I wouldn't waste, I can mentally spend a million shekels within a minute or two. It would be nice to have an apartment... with a guest bedroom... a professional haircut... a gym membership... maybe a more comfortable pair of shabbos shoes... a food processor... fewer hours at work... and of course dh would want air conditioning, and a car... So maybe we're not really frugal by nature at all, regardless of the little stuff (meaning, even if we someday do buy an apartment with more space, I'll still make my own challah, but I'm not sure if that's really "frugal," or at least it's no more frugal than sticking to a 2-bedroom place and buying challah at the store).

smilethere

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 6:38 am
[quote="Fabulous"]Definitely by necessity/learning from dh.quote]

Same here. Grew up in a family, where money was available when necessary, and spent very freely on whatever wanted. My parents didn't want nice dining room furniture or fancy clothes,
but yes to the best air conditioner and latest computer. lots of everything. a big beautiful kitchen etc...
I used to go shopping and my father would ask how much do you need - 10, okay take 20 etc that kind of attitude.

When I got married boy did my husband help me change my attitude. and it has been extremely helpful. I see my siblings struggling with debt, because they don't know how to organise their finances, and spending. Bh I dont owe anyone a penny. And I sometimes get frustrated, because I can't just buy another pair of shoes, or go out to eat so often. But I am so grateful.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 10:18 pm
I came from a house where money was tight, so now that BH I have the money I need. I feel like I dont want to be too frugal. And most importantly, I want my child to have everything, not g-d forbid be like me and not have all the things she needs.
On the other hand, my husband came from a home that always had what they needed, even if his parents were tight, they would figure out a way to get everything for their kids. I.e. a second job- you name it.. Which I give them a lot of credit for.
My husband insists that we be frugal and save. he totally does not understand why I buy so much for me or my daughter.(and its not even so much, by the way)

Shirley

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 10:38 am
wif wrote:
Shirley wrote:

Any insight?

Yes! I am the exact same way. After 10 years of psychoanalyzing myself, I came to the understanding, with the help of my husband, that I am simply nuts.

Thanks for that! I'm afraid that there are some who'd agree with you [re: my being nuts, not yours!]. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this particular brand of insanity. I consider myself original and creative and all that. But when it comes to issues of the mind, it's comforting to know that there are more like me out there.

Maya

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 11:34 am
Shirley wrote:
wif wrote:
Shirley wrote:

Any insight?

Thanks for that! I'm afraid that there are some who'd agree with you [re: my being nuts, not yours!]. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this particular brand of insanity. I consider myself original and creative and all that. But when it comes to issues of the mind, it's comforting to know that there are more like me out there.

You should learn to get over it, though. Just because there are more people like this doesn't mean it's healthy. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics