Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many of us are there? Into frugality and healthy living
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How would you describe yourself?
Frugal, making things from scratch, healthy eating, natural parenting, homeschooling  
 9%  [ 6 ]
4/5 of the above-which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
3/5 of the above-which?  
 19%  [ 12 ]
2/5 of the above- which?  
 17%  [ 11 ]
1/5 of the above- which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
None of the above  
 22%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 63

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:13 pm
That's why I didn't vote. It costs so much more to eat healthy.

BTmom- I'd love any recipes you feel like sharing, especially healthy homemade treats for kids. We're getting sick of homemade granola bars. (Well, the others aren't but I am.)

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:15 pm
4/5...I do the first four..

but I am finding more and more that eating healthy is getting more and more expensive as my children grow and demand more food to eat!!

I am opposed to homeschooling for frum children in general because I think most often it makes them social misfits, unless you don't mind being one. I am not talking about preschool age.

in the outside world where there are a lot of social groups for homeschooled children and the alternative is public school then I would probably consider it, but would switch off with other mothers, for example, I teach math, another mother science, private tutors, etc. but to be quite honest I find it hard enough to juggle children and housework, I can't figure out how I would be able to homeschool!!

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:16 pm
GR wrote:
That's why I didn't vote. It costs so much more to eat healthy.

BTmom- I'd love any recipes you feel like sharing, especially healthy homemade treats for kids. We're getting sick of homemade granola bars. (Well, the others aren't but I am.)

ditto. I would love to hear /make what BTmom makes.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:18 pm
Very Happy I'll be happy to share. Probably not til later tonight though, when things have settled down in the house.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:22 pm
Barbara wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Frugal -- well, one woman's frugal is another woman's spendthrift. I try to save money, but I spend as well.

making things from scratch -- I think this is what you really meant by frugal, but the fact is that making from scratch isn't always frugal.

Right, so those two do overlap a lot. Frugal meaning trying to find the cheapest thing available or making it yourself if it is cheaper and not an insane amount of work. (What is more expensive to make from scratch?)
When I was thinking frugal, I was thinking people who'll serve rice and beans, try to make their own bread, don't buy ready made foods from a takeout place, etc... Like a truly frugal person would probably not go out for a weekly manicure and to a restaurant once a week or more, etc... A frugal person probably would be living that way of life and not be embarrassed to share tips on how to save money. Of course I'm generalizing.

OldYoung used the example of tomato sauce -- is it really cheaper for me to buy tomatoes and cook them than to buy a 79 cent can?
I generally make tomato sauce from a can of tomato paste, an onion, water and spices. Much cheaper than buying jarred marinara sauce. I only make it fresh from tomatoes when I get my tomatoes REALLY REALLY on sale, like 89 agurot a kilo. (I guess that comes out to be something like 15 cents a pound?) Canned tomato sauce isnt a reality here, and jarred marinara sauce is MUCH more expensive than making my own.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:28 pm
another vote for BT mom to post her recipes (esp the ww carrot muffins)

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:33 pm
I don't like using canned goods (check out the sodium content) and I never buy marinara. They put all sorts of things in marinara sauce.
I simply buy tomato sauce as cheap as I can find and use it very sparingly. Or if I know in advance that I'm going to need a lot, if I have a chance, I can pick up a huge can from Walmart for much cheaper.
That's only the tomato sauce example though.

Now that it's summer I find we all eat much less but snack on double or triple the amount of fruits and vegetables (raw).

baba

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 12:50 pm
I probably, do about 3.5 out of these.
I try to live frugal, but not to the point that it drives me insane. We also dont have the financial pressure, so I dont always HAVE to.
I make a lot from scratch, but again, I dont overdue it. I also dont have enough time to make a lot. But anything that's easy and healthier, for sure.
I eat very healthy. Ever since I gained a lot during my fist pregnancy, I started to eat healthy and now do it because I like it.
I'm not into natural parenting per se, but just happen to do a lot that is natural parenting, like BF.
I dont have an opinion on homeschooling. Never really thought about it.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 1:01 pm
GR wrote:
I can pick up a huge can from Walmart for much cheaper.

Where is a close-by Walmart ?

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:05 pm
2-3 (can't remember) exits past the Ohel.

Atali

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 2:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We eat healthfully and somewhat frugally but I'm not making a religion out of it.

Same

louche

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:46 pm
I believe in all of that good stuff in principle and try to live by it, but I'm not a fanatic. Disposable goods have their place, though I feel guilty about using them. (I'd feel much less guilty if certain segments of society didn't feel entitled to use them all the time even when there's no pressing need. ) I will serve cake for dessert on Shabbat and it isn't always zucchini bread made with whole wheat flour. when I travel overnight for work I will bring along a microwavable dinner that costs $6-7 instead of a can of tuna, a pita and a tomato, which would cost less than $2. There were many years when I lived for a week on canned sardines, pb&j and reconstituted dry milk on business trips, but that gets very old very fast. If I had no choice I would and could do it again, but at my age I like to live a little, too. Not so much that I'll go to a restaurant and spend $30 on a weeknight supper (assuming there is a kosher restaurant wherever I am, which there usually isn't) , but a microwavable meal for $6 is a fairly cheap thrill. I'm into cheap thrills.

Frugality and healthy living are sometimes mutually exclusive--like buying organically-grown produce or whole-grain pasta. That's where I have a conflict. most of the time I buy whole-grain pasta, which costs four times white, and whole-wheat flour, which costs double what white flour does, but we don't use huge quantities of either. I buy olive oil instead of shortening or plain vegetable oil, but I almost always buy the oil on sale. It's still expensive, but less so. OTOH, I do not buy organic produce, because that could really break the bank.

and I'm sorry to admit I'm a world-class junk-food junkie. I'd be a lot healthier and save quite a bit of $ by cutting out junk food. or at least limit myself to OPJF (Other people's junk food. IOW, indulge at simchas and parties but not buy it myself.)

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:21 pm
louche wrote:
I'm into cheap thrills.

this comment did not go unnoticed Wink

a person could be cheap - so they're also frugal

a person could like to cook - hence homemade foods ...

healthy can cost plenty too ...

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:38 pm
We really like to eat healthy but I have yet to figure out how to do that frugally. Fresh organic produce costs me a small fortune. I also buy the Wise label organic meats as much as possible so that's always pricier then other kosher meats - at least around here.

I wouldn't say I'm so much a "make from scratch" person as someone who just does without all those processed foods for the most part. I cook fresh veggies, meat, whole grains. I don't do almost any frozen, bottled and canned foods. Baked goods we don't even usually eat except challah and maybe a cake for shabbos... which I prefer to make but will buy if things are hectic, which they often are.

Homeschooling... I'd do it if I had to but am glad that I don't have to. I have nothing against it conceptually.

Natural parenting. Somewhat.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:44 pm
4/5...I do the first four.. Homeschooling is too drastic oh a choices and I'm not ready to dare yet (but I do threaten like 7 times a week).

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:51 pm
Seraph wrote:
into living frugally, like to make things from scratch if possible, into healthy eating, natural parenting (for the most part), and possibly into the idea of homeschooling, even if they don't do it themselves.

frugal - I do that naturally, I'm not much of a spender, but I don't have a choice in the matter either
scratch - I hate all the chemicals and preservatives in food. I'd make it all myself if I had the time, energy, patience and money.
healthy eating - it goes hand in hand with making my own food. I generally eat healty (& serve healthy) but I'm far from a macrobiotic eater.
natural parenting - uummm... some ways. I believe in wearing my baby, nursing as long as possible and eating healty
homeschooling - for some kids its really needed. Others not. I don't know if I have the patience or know-how to do it.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 6:04 pm
GR, Creativemommy and Mimi,
As requested, here are the recipes you requested

WW/Flax Brownies (modified from the recipe on the Saco cocoa canister)
1/2 c canola oil
1/2 cocoa powder
1 c sugar (I use white)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c ww flour
1/2 c ground flax seed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c chocolate chips (opt.)

I mix first 3 ingred well and then add in the rest. Pour into 9 " square pan. Bake 350. 25-30 mins. test with a toothpick.

WW Carrot Muffins (modified from Fluffy Carrot Cake - pg 349 Spice and Spirit Cookbook)
2 C Brown Sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 c grated carrots
1 C raisins (opt)
2 C WW flour
1/2 C ground flax seed
1/4 C canola oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in carrots and raisins. Sift flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Alternating oil and flour mixture, add to carrot mixture and mix well.

Ladle into muffin pans (I line with papers) and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins. Test with toothpick.

Easy Zucchini Bread From a school cookbook

3 eggs
1-1/2 c brown sugar
1 C veg oil
2 C grated zucchini
1 TBS vanilla
1-1/2 C all purp flour
1-1/2 C WW flour
1/2 C ground flax seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C chopped walnuts or pecans (opt)

Beat eggs until light. Add sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3 inch pans. Bake 350 for 1 hr.

The above recipe can easily be changed into bananna bread, apple bread, blueberry bread, raisin bread... or muffins of any of the above too. Muffins usually bake for half the time of a cake.

I'd enjoy seeing anyone else's recipes, too. Pls. Share.

devorahh

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 6:29 pm
frugal: I wish..I'm having such trouble not spending money. I like to shop but buy only onsale & Organic fruits and veggies are so expensive.
making things from scratch: Mostly some bought bread
Healthy: I try organic, whole wheat, brown rice, but have a big sweet tooth
Natural Parenting: yes. homebirthed baby wearing co sleeping cloth diapering mama.
Homeschooling: not there yet ..but doubt it.

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 7:29 pm
Thanks for the recipes!
Where do I buy ground flaxseed? It has omega-3's, right? I need to give that to my kids more often, especially my oldest.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 8:03 pm
I voted 3/5, It's really the first ones, then 1/2 on the from scratch & NP, for my sanity. I serve a lot of guests Shabbos and also during the week, so although I try hard for the healthy, I'm willing to take some shortcuts for cooking in bulk.

GR wrote:
Where do I buy ground flaxseed? It has omega-3's, right? I need to give that to my kids more often, especially my oldest.

I buy whole flaxseed from Apple, and grind it in a small electric coffeegrinder. Like this
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics