Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much to charge for editing work?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 11:48 am
DH is doing editing work for the first time. It's a big project, a combination of the usual proofreading type stuff plus some more substantial rewriting of sections that are biased. Any rough guidelines on how much he should ask for? I imagine an hourly rate would be the way to go. If it matters, it's bilingual, with one of the languages being fairly uncommon. Any input appreciated.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:17 pm
bump. anyone? Just a ballpark would be helpful.

elf123

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 9:55 pm
I'm in that field, not exactly what your DH is doing but related. Do you want to PM me?

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:08 pm
Has your husband been doing this for a while? Is this a book? brochure? advertising material? pamphlet? How many hours of work is this?

Btw, whenever we pay someone to do work for us (at my job), we usually decide on a price BEFOREHAND and there's usually a contract involved too. This may be something that you want to consider when starting a large job. Since you are anonymous and haven't given too many details I have no info regarding details so this could be totally irrelevant. Just food for thought, tho.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 10:17 pm
I do some editing work as well, and charge per typed page, as opposed to hourly. Pm me for details.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:11 am
He's new to this. I think they're taking something that was written as a book and creating content for a not for profit web site. He has no idea how many hours of work it's going to be, because he doesn't know how much of the stuff is going to have to be researched and rewritten, and how much of it just requires spell-check and whatnot.

Will PM those who requested.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 10:44 am
I am currently do work at home (not editing but something that produces a document). I couldn't decide on how to charge also. Whether it be by the page or by the hourly. I have decided to charge by the hour because some pages take alot more work than other and also I have spent alot of time responding to email and changes. I think that time should also be chargeable. Just my thoughts.

bonnie

Post Sat, Jun 13 2009, 11:58 pm
sunshine! wrote:
I do some editing work as well, and charge per typed page, as opposed to hourly. Pm me for details.

Ive done some editing work- hourly rate can get you into trouble because client may not be prepared for how many hours it might take you= definitely go per typed page.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics