Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many of us are there? Into frugality and healthy living
Previous  1  2  3

How would you describe yourself?
Frugal, making things from scratch, healthy eating, natural parenting, homeschooling  
 9%  [ 6 ]
4/5 of the above-which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
3/5 of the above-which?  
 19%  [ 12 ]
2/5 of the above- which?  
 17%  [ 11 ]
1/5 of the above- which?  
 15%  [ 10 ]
None of the above  
 22%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 63

gryp

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:07 pm
Thanks, poelmamosh. Smile
I'd like to buy it ground though to save me an extra job (and I have no more room for any more appliances Rolling Eyes ).

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:12 pm
OK, but whole is more frugal, and healthier. LOL

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 6:31 am
GR, we get it at Trader Joes (can't remember the brand name) best price there. But I have seen it in health food stores also. Yes, its for Omega 3's. I add it to almost everything I bake. But, not too much so its flavor/texture isn't too obvious.

B"N I'll check the brand name and post it later after work.

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 9:30 am
LOL, poelmamosh. Smile

I'll look around, thanks for the ideas.

ruthla

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 2:42 pm
Frugal- yup. I have to be. But even if I was a millionare, it would still bug me to spend money on things that weren't necessary. I'd rather continue living frugally but build up more in the bank.

Healthy eating: I'm trying to hard to heal myself from chronic illness through many factors, including diet. I cook mostly from scratch. For the most part, it's cheaper for me to cook from scratch than to buy ready-made foods that are healthy for me. Sometimes cheaper choices do exist, but they contain additives I won't serve to my family.

Natural parenting: 110%. I nursed my oldest for 2.5 years, including while pg again and then tandem nursing. I felt bad that DD2 only nursed for 14 months. DS self-weaned at age 4. I used to babywear and cosleep, and used cloth diapers at various times, but my kids are all past the baby stage now.

Homeschooling: I homeschooled DD2 for 2.5 years, and DD1 for one year, but both want to return to school next year. Meanwhile, DS isn't doing well in Yeshiva so I plan to homeschool him next year.

I also do a lot of things I'd catagorize as "natural family living"- using reusable products instead of disposables as much as possible (grocery bags, tablecloths, hankies, cloth napkins, etc) and recycling what can't be re-used. I also try to limit how much packaging we bring into the house in the first place.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 3:22 pm
(I read grocery bags as garbage bags and was scratching my head trying to figure out how you have reusable garbage bags!)

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 3:26 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
(I read grocery bags as garbage bags and was scratching my head trying to figure out how you have reusable garbage bags!)

In the "olden days" it was very rare or unheard of to use a bag for garbage in Israel. They filled up the bucket and dumped it in the dumpster. I have some neighbors who still do that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 3:32 pm
(Considering I know ruthla doesn't live in Israel, the thought never crossed my mind Smile
But that's, in my narrow mind, pretty gross...and smelly. Especially in the heat. Uch.
Yes, I reuse grocery bags. I do not reuse garbage bags!)

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 3:58 pm
If we were really into natural living, we wouldn't have garbage to begin with.
I'm so guilty of garbage - my neighbor is on a campaign to get our family to acquire our own personal garbage bin. Is that offensive or what? Then again, there are a lot of us, and we have guests.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 4:15 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
If we were really into natural living, we wouldn't have garbage to begin with.

That is true. If you use reusable everything and cook from scratch you have very little garbage. If you recycle cardboard and compost you have even less. I know I get down to very little when I'm at the top of my game. Which is NOT right now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 4:25 pm
Not all of us have yards or place to put compost...growing up I was actually very into it, though Smile
I cook from scratch to some extent, but I can't make my own pasta. I do have some waste, and there is no recycling pick up where I am, or I would run to do that. Smile

hadasa

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 4:46 pm
I figure I average about 2/5.

Frugal- not really, I don't buy tons of stuff, but I don't skimp on things I really need or want. And dh feels he needs the occasional pricey vacation to release tension. (pricey being relative, of course)

From scratch- I don't have many ready-made kosher commodities available, so I do use mostly basic, natural ingredients, but I don't know what I'd do if I had a choice.

healthy eating- well, I try... Don't always succeed.

NP- What does that include? I nurse at least until the fifth month of the next pregnancy, but at six months the baby is moved out of my room (although I'll take him/her back in for a night feeding and often end up sleeping that way untill morning). I do give vaccinations, but not on schedule. I try to avoid medication except for when absolutely necessary. No cloth diapers for me, and my babies are too heavy to be worn for more than a few weeks. I did CIO with my oldest, but with my other children not for more than a few minutes.

Homeschooling- I did it for a while out of necessity. I'd love to continue if I had the time, but I don't. The setting most of my kids are in is somewhat similar to homeschooling, though.

Last edited by hadasa on Thu, Jun 11 2009, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

ruthla

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 6:19 pm
Hadasa- What's CIT?

Ideally, I'd love to be able to either compost or recycle every single bit of "waste" my household manages to produce. But I'm nowhere near that right now!

I do know that my household produces a lot less trash than many of my neighbors, and about double the recycling. Of course, it's really two households- my parents live downstairs and we share trash/recycling pickup.

hadasa

Post Thu, Jun 11 2009, 11:39 pm
Whoops, I meant CIO - crying it out.

ruthla

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 4:17 pm
Ah, that makes more sense.

The only times I've ever left a baby to cry alone is when I was at or past my breaking point, and there was nobody else available to comfort the child. I think it happened only once or twice with DS- oftentimes a big sister could hold him if I needed a mini-break.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 8:14 pm
Thanks btMOMtoFFBs for the recipes! I actually have everything on hand and would like to use up by bad of flax faster.

On a seperate point, as far as I know, whole flax seeds can't be digested and defeats the purpose of consuming them. We can only digest it if its ground.

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 1:01 am
Mommastuff wrote:
Thanks btMOMtoFFBs for the recipes! I actually have everything on hand and would like to use up by bad of flax faster.

On a seperate point, as far as I know, whole flax seeds can't be digested and defeats the purpose of consuming them. We can only digest it if its ground.

does that mean I have to go buy a grinder now? I have some flax seed in my freezer..

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 1:09 am
I grind it in my blender.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics