Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Jessica Seinfeld's Cookbook (merged w/Sneaky Chef)
Previous  1  2

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:43 pm
I would do it B"N if my kids refused to eat vegetables. But they love them, so thank Hashem they saved me that task.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:47 pm
I don't need to hide it. My 10 year old dd doesn't like zuchinni. The other day, I made zuchinni latkes w/o telling them what kind of latkes they are, just to taste them. Since then, she's asked me to make them again. LOL

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:10 pm
Motek wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
I read an article about this idea...it was against the whole concept, since it might provide nutrition but it doesn't teach nutrition, and children who eat carrot brownies or beet mashed potatoes don't learn to eat carrots or beets, just brownies and mashed potatoes. Confused

Hiding vegetables in recipes does not mean you cannot put vegetables on their plate. And that is what the author of D.D. says she does. But she's not as obsessed with her kids eating them which made meal time miserable.

That's interesting.

But I could see some less responsible parents saying, eh, forget the whole veggies on the side, I'll just sneak them into the brownies.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:38 pm
My sil tried that with her dd. She succeeded the first night, but the second time, she saw.
Her daughter didn't trust her for a while after!

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:41 pm
That's the other thing. I think there should be trust regarding what you're putting in your body.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:51 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
That's the other thing. I think there should be trust regarding what you're putting in your body.

Why?

If the mother is cooking, does she owe it to her family members to provide them with a list of ingredients? Confused

Or is it commendable to provide nutritious, tasty food?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:04 pm
If someone davka doesn't like a certain food, I think it's wrong to sneak it into their food.

Sometimes I will use a healthier ingredient to see how people react, but if someone davka doesn't like a particular ingredient, I wouldn't sneak it in.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:15 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
If someone davka doesn't like a certain food, I think it's wrong to sneak it into their food.

Wrong? Why?

By the way, the D.D. book's author has children 6, 4 and 2. Do you think children are entitled to know what all the ingredients are - why?

And there's Sneaky Chef for husbands. I suppose to avoid any feelings of "wrongness," a wife can ask her husband:

"Would you care if the food I made contained healthy ingredients that you don't usually eat because you don't like them, if you won't realize they're there?"

If the husband says yes, he would mind, I'd like to know why. Would seem absurd to me.

But I don't think a cook must disclose her cooking methods to anyone.

If someone can serve me something I don't like, that's good for me, and I won't know about it, kol ha'kavod to them!

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:16 pm
Call me shallow and petty, but I'm so bothered by Jessica Seinfeld, I have completely dismissed Deceptively Delicious. I'm not really familiar with the Sneaky Chef, but I assume that's who Seinfeld plagiarized.

For me, hiding food in food isn't the way I want to introduce my kids to vegetables. I have nothing against making somewhat healthy and tasty vegetable or fruit-based treats (like pumpkin muffins or fruit-bran muffins, for example) but I don't think about sneaking vegetables into things as a rule. I make plenty of foods (pasta sauces, roast mixed vegetables, salads with fresh fruit involved) that have fruits and vegetables, and I do my best to include other healthy elements to their diets. I've dealt with the typical kid stuff -- my older one ate everything when little, but now has gotten really picky and more difficult to feed. I don't think hiding things at this age would really work.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:17 pm
I don't know, some people have hangups about certain foods, don't want anything to do with them. And if they are given something called a brownie that has a carrot in it, even if they can't taste it, they're likely to be upset about it. It's not rational, but so what? People are entitled to their inyanim.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:24 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I don't know, some people have hangups about certain foods, don't want anything to do with them. And if they are given something called a brownie that has a carrot in it, even if they can't taste it, they're likely to be upset about it. It's not rational, but so what? People are entitled to their inyanim.

if you say, "Ha ha, you ate a carrot!" I can see that the person might get upset

I don't recommend doing that. Wink

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:27 pm
Quote:
I could see a parent doing this out of sheer desperation.

Yes when it comes to cooked onions and celery including sweet pototes that has been for years with the small kids my only option, other then eliminating it altogether.

queen

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:42 pm
gosh, this sounds like a good idea for my husband Twisted Evil

louche

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 10:42 am
Funny you should bring this up, I just took one of those books out of the library. what I don't like is the complete lack of nutritional data (calories, grams fat-carbs-protein-vitamin values). yeah, it's a great recipe, but if it's a bazillion calories per serving, who cares if it has a whole head of spinach in it? There was a recipe for BBQ sauce or something and she was kvelling how when they eat the buffalo wings or what have you they're eating carrots! No, they're not. they're eating BBQ sauce that has maybe half a carrot in a cupful. every wing contains about 3 carrot molecules.

I plan to try a recipe or two, but I don't foresee converting to the sneaky chef school of cooking. I mean, we love sweet potatoes, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, etc, plus the fruits are expensive. Hiding them in anything would be a criminal waste. Turnips or beets, otoh....those I could see camouflaging. unfortunately the book I have uses neither of these.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:14 am
louche wrote:
There was a recipe for BBQ sauce or something and she was kvelling how when they eat the buffalo wings or what have you they're eating carrots! No, they're not. they're eating BBQ sauce that has maybe half a carrot in a cupful. every wing contains about 3 carrot molecules.

I was wondering about that. So big deal, you put in half a cup of pureed cauliflower. How much nutritional value did it add to each portion?

And what nutritional value is left of the vegetable after it has been cooked, pureed, frozen, defrosted, and cooked again?

Capitalchick

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:53 am
[quote="Motek"]
louche wrote:

And what nutritional value is left of the vegetable after it has been cooked, pureed, frozen, defrosted, and cooked again?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! All that processing must kill the nutrients!

TAPS

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:03 am
I tried the choc. chip cookies in it, saw the book at someones house. You add chickpeas for protein. They are GROSS. My kids won't touch them. I won't be buying book.

rockys

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 1:33 am
I have no patience for Jessica Seinfeld. I almost put her in the same category as Jenny McCarthy (don't get me started).

But, I love the Sneaky Chef books. I have all three (the most recent one has new recipes, lower the fat on some favorites and ideas for kids on restricted diets).

My second son has Autism and has a very limited diet. He will not touch a vegetable. Period. No way, now how.

But, he gets blueberries and spinach in his pancakes and brownies. He gets sweet potatoes and carrots in his chicken fingers (we call them schnitzel!), cupcakes, etc. Her flour blends are made with wheat germ, whole wheat flour and regular flour. Choc chip cookies were also a hit.

Not everything was "sold" but enough so that he is actually getting some fruits and vegetables.

Love the book.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics