Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Jewish music?
Previous  1  2

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:43 pm
if u understand yiddish, then I would recommend yom tov erlich's music, isaac honig, and yonasan schwartz.

nehama

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 10:18 pm
Crayon, I know. I did a report on that in seminary. But why pick on Carlebach? Many, if not most, singers take non jewish songs and just add Jewish words. That's even worse for the neshama. (You happened to have hit upon one of my favorite discussion topics.) Should I go on?

Mommy912

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 10:37 pm
AweSumThenSum wrote:
if u understand yiddish, then I would recommend yom tov erlich's music

Avraham Fried did Otzarot Yehudim: 2 tapes in hebrew of R' Yom Tov Erlich's music - they are really beautifull.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 11:20 pm
Some people raise concern with some of SC's actions that were questionable at best.

merpk

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:29 am
crayon, are you talking about the lashon harah that only came up after his death? Then you should be clear about it. Because there's all sorts of issues with that, too.

If you're talking about his "kiruv" methods, then you should ask the Amshinover Rebbe what he said about them before you make the disparaging comments.

Keep in mind that there were rebbeim who asked mekhila of R' Shlomo after his passing. Shame, because it's really horrible to have to ask mekhila of someone who's already in the next world. Always better to do it when they're alive, but hey, not everyone's perfect.

And unless you know that all of the musicians you listen to are of sterling character, you might also wish to rethink on those grounds as well. Unless you're so sure that all sorts of stuff won't come crawling out of the woodwork when they pass on (at 120, for sure) as well.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:33 am
merpk, I don't feel like getting into what I'm talking about. This thread is not about that.

I'm glad that Amshinover Rebbe approved of his kiruv methods; as a Lubavitcher chasid I hold like the Lubavitcher Rebbe who did not approve of his kiruv methods.

I did not make any disparaging comments, I was answering nehama's question.

And about the other music I listen to...how do you know anything about what other music I listen to?

merpk

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:18 pm
If you don't want to get into it, crayon, then you should reconsider perpetuating lashon ha'rah. It's not the first post like this I've seen on this board about him. And if no one wants to be blunt, then they ... and you ... should stop posting insinuations. Because they are equally halakhically vile.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:33 pm
Someone asked a question, so I provided a short and to the point answer without getting into anything. I don't see a need to go into the details, but someone did ask.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics