Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Magdalene Sisters

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 12:04 am
Anybody see it? What a heavy film, my heart just aches.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 10:20 am
Doesn't the word Mag. have something to do with yushke ?

sugaray

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 11:30 am
yeah, I saw it. great movie. I dont rem the details since I saw it a long time ago. the part that sticks in my mind is where they line up naked and their bodies get criticized. I think its supposed to be a true story.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 11:37 am
sounds painful but I didn't even hear of it ...

cm - yehoshua also has to do with yoshke - but we still name kids same ... What

mary magdalene was a devoted disciple of jeesus and considered to be a saint ...

the movie of the magdalene sisters is based on a true account of inmates in ireland in 1964

SingALong

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 12:49 pm
I saw it. it was very depressing, I found, wiht so much injustice. the girls are basically "punished" for being girls. it was also a major money making agenda for the church so corruption was there too. very sad. at least they got out in the end

daisy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 2:54 pm
I'm so sorry I saw it. It was awful and still haunts me. Especially that scene about the woman that goes insane (shudder).

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 3:12 pm
never saw it, but it is true that in Ireland in the 50s girls were sent to these horrible places for having babies out of wedlock. I can't remember the name of the book, but I read a biography and the person who wrote it goes to one. (she had a baby after being gang raped)

CM, if anything, the film is probably anti xtianity - it is trying to expose the worngs performed by the catholic church (which it has not apologised for)

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 3:28 pm
The few women who would speak out said that the actual conditions were far worse than those depicted in the film!

I saw a sanitized version on youtube so I didn't see that scene where they're lined up and their bodies are criticized.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 3:36 pm
I saw the movie, it was very sad.

I think the saddest part is when that girl gets sick on purpose by sleeping in a wet nightgown to get pnemonia so that she can get out of there.

Also, not all of the girls were there for having babies, some of them like, talked to a boy or something, or the parents were just worried about them...

Anyhoo, it was very sad.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 3:38 pm
I also agree that the film is anti-Catholicism...there is one scene in particular which I will not mention on this site which shows the true hypocrisy of all the nuns and priests...basically doing things that are inappropriate for anyone, let alone, "holy" people.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Jun 18 2009, 1:02 am
That movie was one of the most memorable movies I ever saw. I can remember just about every scene down to after the movie when it tells you what happened to the girls after they left. A truly fantastic movie if you're not overly sensitive.

hannah95

Post Thu, Jun 18 2009, 4:04 am
There was a big controversy on whereas the movie is a true story or not. But even if it wasn't, such places definitly existed, you can still visit some when you travel to Ireland.

One of the many things that went wrong with the catholic church ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics