Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What is considered gebroks

supermom

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:53 pm
I see in the recipe books all the time. is it just the matza meal that is made from shmura matza or any type of matza?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:57 pm
I beleive its any matzah that touches water, some people are more strict and say its any matzah that gets wet even juice or whatever. Don't quote me as it ain't my minhag

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 4:36 pm
The Lub. minhag is not to eat the matza with anything, even if it's not a wet thing (as in, hard boiled eggs or avocado salad.)

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 6:12 pm
Technically, even Lubavitchers can eat matzah with avocado. Many don't, but some do.

Salt is also fine. :-)

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 6:13 pm
supermom, remember we discussed it last year? Wink Very Happy

supermom

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 4:05 am
yep I remember that one Wink just was wondering instead of looking it up is shmurah matza and regular machine egg matza different when considered eating gebroks. like if matza meal is made out of machine egg matza if there is such a thing that means you can offically eat it wet?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 4:29 am
Can you eat egg matza at all if you're Ashkenazi? It's a big sheila, even before you start with gebrokts.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 4:37 am
I know Lubav households during Pesach that eat only matzah by the table with nothing else, and completely clear away the matzah before serving the next course in the meal...I think, but could be wrong, that ANY form of liquid is a no-no. (We personally hold by that, although I am uncertain just why...I'll ask our Lubav rav.)

Something funny to confess: when we were still USCJ, I used to make a Matzah Lasagna that everyone in our circle of friends raved about!

supermom

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 5:57 am
sarahd wrote:
Can you eat egg matza at all if you're Ashkenazi? It's a big sheila, even before you start with gebrokts.

egg matza not for the seder or for the meals for breakfast, lunch, supper. oh boy are you telling me that egg matzah that you buy from manishevetz is bad and not allowed to be eaten by ashkenazim when I see everyone eating them?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 7:25 am
No, I'm not telling you it's bad; I'm telling you it's a sheila.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 10:49 am
I also am not. Like wine won't make it gebrokt, but we don't dip our matza in wine.

stem

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 11:42 am
I grew up eating gebrokst, and my childhood memories are full of pesach foods like matza-milk-sugar for breakfast, matza brei, matza pizza. I'm so glad my husband's family also eats it, I can't imagine eating dry matza for a whole week.

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 12:02 pm
just curious, was that matzoh meal with your milk & sugar? That's what I ate as a kid for breakfast on pesach, thought it was my fam's unique recipe Question

Crayon210

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 12:22 pm
I get to have matzah brei, matzah pizza, and matzah with spreads all year and enjoy it, knowing that I can't have it on Pesach. :-D

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 12:54 pm
Me too, I grew up with all that stuff. I didn't like it though.

stem

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 2:40 pm
red sea wrote:
just curious, was that matzoh meal with your milk & sugar? That's what I ate as a kid for breakfast on pesach, thought it was my fam's unique recipe Question

no. just broken pieces of matza in a bowl of milk and sugar sprinkled on top.

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 2:59 pm
stem wrote:
red sea wrote:

no. just broken pieces of matza in a bowl of milk and sugar sprinkled on top.

See and I was about to think we were related or something <sarcasm> shock

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 4:52 am
How about matza coffee? (Same thing, except the matzah goes into coffee instead of milk.) I still have withdrawal symptoms - it's so hard to go all Pesach without a decent breakfast.

estherf

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:56 am
I serve for breakfast apple kugel or Esther Hamalka kugel from Heimishe cook book. They are very light and filling. Good for both kids and adults.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics