Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Never co slept with baby?
Previous  1  2

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 7:54 pm
You may think you are keeping your babies safe by placing them in a crib alone, but there is research that suggests otherwise. Most infant deaths (SIDS) R"L happen in *cribs*. At least one study states that SIDS is reduced my bed-sharing, and another concludes that SIDS is less common in cultures where bed-sharing is usual. Also, many children die, R"L, in fires and other emergencies because they are not able to evacuate the home themselves, whereas co-sleeping children are more easily retrieved by parents.

(Check this site for some references: http://www.babyreference.com/L.....s.htm)

That said, I don't judge anyone who choses to use a crib, despite that fact that it feels very wrong *to me* to send a small infant to another room to sleep.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 7:59 pm
momof3 wrote:
Finally! People (thanks Mindy) who are on the same page as me! I came upon a thread in the "Natural Parenting" section titled, "Until when should u co-sleep"? I, of course said don't start & boy did I get bashed!

First, know I did not come to this thread to bash people who do not co-sleep. If it is working for you and your baby, that's great.

When you come to the "Natural Parenting" section post like that, you seem to be looking for a fight. As the text under the "Natural Parenting" section states, "This section is not for debate but rather a place where women can get support and advice for choices such as homebirths, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, etc." So if you cannot be supportive of natural parenting practices, stay out or stay quiet.

klotzkashe

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 2:37 am
I just read in an Aussie newspaper this week that the Australian centre of research for SIDS recommends that a child sleep in their parents rooms for at least 6 mths preferably 1 year because a mother's presence keeps the baby at a certain level of arousal that will stop them from having respiratory arrest c'v.

As to co sleeping- they dont' recommend it before 3 mths for sure bc they say that the mother can roll over etc.

However, I co slept with myson for almost 5 months - but then again I had a King Size bed (like 2 singles otgether) and he slept almost a metre away from me and I used a single bed blanket so there was no risk of suffocation. he was swaddled and just lay next to me all night and I would feed him and then shift him over after a feed.

I am planning on doing this with baby #2 iyh... co sleeping might work for some and not for others...some pple can't nurse lying down so co sleeping can't do too much for htem

Ahuva

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 8:34 am
deedee wrote:
ya gotta do what is best for ur baby. I was just wondering why ahuva was so against it.

Sorry that I came through "so against it" I orig. put my baby out of my room for one night temp. My sis had a baby and came home from the hosp. on fri and asked me if I can give her my bassinett for shaboss since she had no where to put her baby. I figured I would co sleep for that one night but when push came to shove I was scared that I would roll over....(I suffered from post partum anxiety) so instead I put him in his big crib in his own room that was all prepared for when we want to move him out of our room. Well I was up most of that night running back and forth to see if he was ok....I have a glider next to his crib so I spent a lot of time sitting there. When the next night came around I felt that I already went through the first and hardest step of moving him out and that he slept better (he gave me a longer streatch between feedings) so I decided to leave him there and it worked out very well. He is now 19 months old and loves to cuddle but doesn't even know that he can sleep in my bed, he comes to my bed every morn. to cuddle and we love it but thats it. A few wks. ago he was sick and I took him to my bed durring the night to sooth him.... but he couldn't sleep, I guess he is used to having his space.
Also as a previous poster said when we go to a hotel it takes him forever to fall asleep with all the action going on around him. To each there own.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 2:05 pm
Binah, if you go back to that thread in "Natural Parenting" you will see that I wrote:

"When I come on to Imamother, I click on the link for the 'new posts since my last visit' & I don't look at the forums. I just click on the threads with interesting titles."

If I accessed threads on the site any other way, yes, I would stay far away from the natural parenting forum because it's not my way of doing things. So, don't come on here, where most of us are saying we don't co-sleep & berate ME! I am NOT looking for a fight. I just gave a POLITE opinion.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics