Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pictures of Rebbes
Previous  1  2

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 12:18 am
Chara wrote:
Such great suggestions, thank you!

OOTBubby, good point about the Soloveitchik thing, we'll hold off until we know more...

MeThinks: We have been looking for those rebbe cards you mentioned! WHERE ARE THEY?!?!?! Do you know of a specific store in flatbush/bp, or online??? Seriously, I can't find them.

Fayge, I like your suggestion for images of yerushalayim. I was actually thinking, a long time ago, of getting a picture of the beis hamikdash. Is that weird? Maybe just some landscape pictures are better...

All that being said Akeres Habayis probably makes the most sense to me. I do like to be consistent and real deal. Our rav's rebbe is Amshinov. I know a little about the Amshinover rebbe in Jerusalem. We have friends who go to him for brachas and questions etc., and if we were to go to Israel, we'd probably make it a point to see him for a blessing. But I can't find a picture of the Jerusalem Amshinover Rebbe. Do you think we should put up pictures of other rebbes from his line?

Anyway, I think your take on Flatbushers is accurate. So thanks to all your input, I concluded to hold out for an image of the Amshinover Rebbe and decorate the rest of the apt with brachas, middot, images of Yerushalayim, etc.... Oh, and WHERE ARE THOSE REBBE CARDS??? (I just want them)

If you're interested I can email you a digital picture of the Amshinov Rebbe. I probably have some good shots from my son's Bar Mitzva. The Rebbe actually came to my house!!! Just pm me if you're interested.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 12:24 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
LOL to chosidmom

I think u should put up pictures of rebbeim that u are drawn to
(who do u go for sheilos, who posken for u?)that is a derech.if they are litvish then put up famous rebbeim from the mussar movement.Rav Dessler,Vilna Gaon etc.if they are chassidim,put up rebbeim from that sect.

your children get a sense of who they are,and when people walk into your home they know where they stand.if u want to have pictures up,that give no clear definition of what hashgafah u are.then it will show that u are "all over the place"and a "new BT",and "wishy washie".which brings up the question"your observance".silly I know. how your home is shows what type of family u are.

I STRONGLY disagree with you, but whatever. I think if you have a range of different types of pictures of rabbonim, what it shows is you respect ALL and arent narrow minded enough to say "I can only get inspiration from ONE type of person".
I doubt you'd call Chossidmom a "new BT" and "wishy washie" and "all over the place", yet she has a pic up of the Amshinover rebbe and wanted to put up pics of
Quote:
Reb Aryeh Levine, Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, Rav Moshe Feinstein, Rav Ya'akov Kamenetsky.

Yes, my home shows what type of family I am, and the type of family my kids will grow up in is one that respects rabbanim, regardless of their "type".

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 1:25 am
I BELIEVE THERE IS A WEBSITE CALLED GEDOLIMPICS.COM. YOU CAN ORDER ONLINE, BUT THE SMALLEST SIZE PIC IS 8 BY 10.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:53 am
Quote:
I doubt you'd call Chossidmom a "new BT" and "wishy washie" and "all over the place", yet she has a pic up of the Amshinover rebbe and wanted to put up pics of
Quote:
Reb Aryeh Levine, Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach, Rav Moshe Feinstein, Rav Ya'akov Kamenetsky.
Hey, you forgot about the Lubavitcher Rebbe! However, that's a separate category. I do feel sad that anyone should feel intimidated about a "hamschacha" for the Rebbe.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 12:12 pm
On our walls we have- The previous Rebbe of Gur, Rav SZ Aurbach, Rav Elyashiv, Rav Yaakov Kaminetzky, Rav Moshe Feinstein, The Sanzer Rebbe, and Rav Nachman Bulman. All have some special meaning to us personally. I don't know if that is what some would perceive as "wishy washy" but I couldn't care less. These are rabbanim that we personally have/ had a relationship with or have special meaning to us. They are all tzadikkim and I don't think anyone should have an issue with them being on our wall.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 4:32 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey, you forgot about the Lubavitcher Rebbe! However, that's a separate category. I do feel sad that anyone should feel intimidated about a "hamschacha" for the Rebbe.

I'm not really intimidated. I could care less what anyone around here thinks! But like I said, my husband is against any rabbi pictures on the wall. He says the Amshinov Rebbe (who passed away almost 30 years ago, I think) is enough.

To amother who has a picture of Rabbi Bulman on the wall - I was very close with him as was the rest of my family. Even my husband took him on as our rav when we were engaged.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 8:24 am
Seraph wrote:
Akeres Habayis wrote:
LOL to chosidmom

I think u should put up pictures of rebbeim that u are drawn to
(who do u go for sheilos, who posken for u?)that is a derech.if they are litvish then put up famous rebbeim from the mussar movement.Rav Dessler,Vilna Gaon etc.if they are chassidim,put up rebbeim from that sect.

your children get a sense of who they are,and when people walk into your home they know where they stand.if u want to have pictures up,that give no clear definition of what hashgafah u are.then it will show that u are "all over the place"and a "new BT",and "wishy washie".which brings up the question"your observance".silly I know. how your home is shows what type of family u are.

I STRONGLY disagree with you, but whatever. I think if you have a range of different types of pictures of rabbonim, what it shows is you respect ALL and arent narrow minded enough to say "I can only get inspiration from ONE type of person".
Quote:

Yes, my home shows what type of family I am, and the type of family my kids will grow up in is one that respects rabbanim, regardless of their "type".

we tend to disagree,on alot of things....it keeps me sharp!and young!!
yes chosidmom wants,but she mentioned already her dh said their Rebbe's pic is enough.I do believe he is chaseedish thru and thru,and not a BT(the OP is).chosidmom has mentioned her background before,so yes its kewl to put up these pics but at the end of the day....she didnt.

everyone can do what they want in their home,by what they believe,BUT,if u want to give a certain impression then your home conveys that message.
we dont have a lot of pics,but we do have brachos every where. btw we respect other rabbonim(dh learned most of his life in litvish before becoming lub)and we give over some things other than lub at our shabbos table.

pictures dont teach our children to respect all people but our behaviour/and speech does. LOL

to the OP I'm glad I helped,because when I read your question,I knew exactly where u are coming from...been there done that! LOL

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 8:37 am
True, true.

gryp

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:15 am
Quote:
pictures dont teach our children to respect all people but our behaviour/and speech does. Laughing

So true. I didn't either see the connection between pictures on the wall and respecting those people.

It would be interesting to see if anyone here holds that we don't put up pictures of people for avodah zara reasons.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:19 am
Pre-war some chassidishe communities were against pics, probably for that reason. I also heard the superstition that the pic will "stole" or "emprison" your soul. I don't think nowadays people still hold that way.

I have seen women who cut the nose or "stab" the eyes of the sheitel heads and dolls having pics of rabbanim.

entropy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:45 am
GR wrote:

It would be interesting to see if anyone here holds that we don't put up pictures of people for avodah zara reasons.

Did someone call?

gryp

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:51 am
LOL. LOL

I'm just asking because I know it used to be much more controversial than it is today.

Do you put up pictures of family members?

entropy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 10:05 am
No, no pictures up, but we do have albums.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:50 pm
hi everyone, OP here

I see there are may posters who have a variety of rabbis, ravs, and rebbes on your walls. This doesn't contradict my decision to go with the poster's suggestion to stick with something more consistent. She said that having such a variety would make it seem like I'm "wishy washy," which, upon reading, made me realize that indeed I AM wishy washy! shock Which is exactly why I have to find some roots. Comparing this to you other, more confident posters, it's fine for you to have such an assortment of photos, because you have a story for your connection to each. Kudos to you, and I hope I know what I'm doing some day too. LOL

Btw, I saw "Litvish" mentioned on this thread a lot. Are Litvish and Chassidish mutually exclusive?

entropy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 10:00 pm
Chara wrote:

Btw, I saw "Litvish" mentioned on this thread a lot. Are Litvish and Chassidish mutually exclusive?

Originally, yes.
These days.. the lines are blurred.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics