Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Gluing a wound, in a hair covered place

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 2:06 pm
This is a weird question...
My toddler son took a nice fall, got a nice cut on the kippah part of his head (the top of the back). We went to the doctor (no less, 4 hours before I gave birth!) and the doctor glued it shut. Now, a nice amount of time later it doesn't look like the hair is growing back. Has anyone else had something glued in a hair covered place? Did the hair grow back or not?
(My husband is happy - jk- he said he won't be the first balding male in the house). It doesn't overly bother me because it is not huge plus it will be covered by a kippah, but I'd just like to know as the doctor didn't say anything.

louche

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 3:08 pm
If the wound has healed the hair will probably not grow back. Scar tissue does not grow hair, and the surgical glues reduce but don't completely eliminate scarring. When ds is older, if he's self-conscious about it, he can hide the spot with a colored spray used to camouflage thinning hair. However, since it's under his kippah, he may not even care.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 3:11 pm
2 of my dd's have scars on the back of their heads from bad falls when they were little - like louche said, no hair grows on those spots, but it's hard to tell since the hair nearby covers the spot.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 3:46 pm
OP here. Well a dr was the one who told us to do it, but would it have been better maybe to not glue it? It eventually would have healed on its own... it's just that it risks infection till it is closed and that's not the best place to get an infection (as if any place is).

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 3:56 pm
My daughter has a 1 inch glue scar on the top of her head. She has thick curly hair so the scar is only visible if she holds her hair in a particular way.

My son has a thinner scar, also about an inch long which sort of extends from his eyebrow. If you look very carefully it's possible to see the very tip of the brow is not there. Imean about three hairs worth, not very much. We say B"H the cut went there and not half an inch lower...

Hair doesn't grow on scar tissue. I think you'll be fine, like you say it's covered anyway.

sim

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:03 pm
Even if you hadn't glued it, the hair would not have grown back. My dd had two cuts (two separate episodes) on her head, and bled a lot from her scalp. We were told that stitches weren't necessary as the bleeding had stopped. she has no hair in either spot, but they are small, (under an inch) and her hair is long and thick.

zigi

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 6:16 pm
s has two bald spots. when his his is really short you can see it. but it grows in and you can't tell that it is there.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 6:21 pm
My oldest also has a hairless scar on her head, B"H. Oh, well!

louche

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 11:26 am
Wow, who knew this was such a common phenomenon? Be glad the scar is on his head and can be covered...My nephew would a thousand times have preferred to have a little bald spot than a scar dead center on his face, which is what he has.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 11:37 am
I have a scar at the back of my head ... I remember the fall well ... sis and I were play fighting and I ran after her as she ran up the steps and I fell back and hit my head on a banister ... up in the country with no car - so no stitches ... but I can feel the scar - only I have too much hair to know if there is hair on it or not ... I presume not or I wouldn't be able to feel the scar that easily ...

so I wouldn't worry ... especially if his yam covers it ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics