Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Davening
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:07 pm
I find that as wives and mothers we really need hashem to guide us and all so we should really make a point once or twice a day to daven a little at least. I make a point to daven in the am and eat only after and say tehilim and other prayers in the afternoon.

Roche

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:13 pm
shema and shmone esray -it shouldnt take more than 5 mins and if u make a specific time slot it will happen. Goodluck Smile

grin

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 12:57 am
merelyme wrote:
Davening can be in your own words, according to some.
Try to put it in the proper format: shevach, bakashah, hodaah - praising G-d, your request, and thanks or praising G-d again.

As an example: Please, G-d, Lord of the Universe, make me get to work on time. Thank you.

Bentsching - birkas hamazon - has all of these elements and fulfills these requirements.

Also, every day we have to be mekabel ol malchus shamayim - accept the yoke of Heaven. This means saying Shema at least once between the time we get up in the morning and the time we go to sleep at night.

Many people daven on the way to work.
Hatzlacha!
I was taught that you have to do both daily - daven to H' in your own words and say the words of the liturgy as well. birkas hamazon fulfills these requirements only according to the Rambam.

pina colada

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 2:08 am
I have heard that the minimum for woman who does not have time to daven should be to say Mah Tovi, Adon Olam, Brachos, etc until after the second Yehi Ratzon and Krias Shema (the three parshios). Of course, if a woman has more time, she should definitely daven more. A woman should also say at least one bakasha a day.

Roche

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 8:44 pm
flutterfly wrote:
I have heard that the minimum for woman who does not have time to daven should be to say Mah Tovi, Adon Olam, Brachos, etc until after the second Yehi Ratzon and Krias Shema (the three parshios). Of course, if a woman has more time, she should definitely daven more. A woman should also say at least one bakasha a day.

its better for op to start out small, otherwise it wont last very long. Thats why I suggested shma and shmone esrai they are important but easy to start with

drez

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 12:54 am
flutterfly, I head that one sould say Shemonah Esrai and the brachos after Shema...

pina colada

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:27 am
Shema is after Brachos in the siddur.

pina colada

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:30 am
Roche wrote:
flutterfly wrote:

its better for op to start out small, otherwise it wont last very long. Thats why I suggested shma and shmone esrai they are important but easy to start with

I am not looking to debate but brachos to me are a lot easier as they are: a-shorter than SH"E b-you can stop in the middle and talk if the kids are disturbing, whereas in SH"E it is more complicated.

I didn't make this up. I heard that a certain Gadol Hador's wife had asked him what she should be davening and this was what she was told to do. I did not hear this firsthand, but if I am not mistaken, this was what she was told as the bare minimum if she did not have time for anything else.

drez

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:38 am
I meant the 3 paragraphs after shema, those are very important... that is what I learned.

grin

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:44 am
flutterfly wrote:
Roche wrote:
flutterfly wrote:

I am not looking to debate but brachos to me are a lot easier as they are: a-shorter than SH"E b-you can stop in the middle and talk if the kids are disturbing, whereas in SH"E it is more complicated.

I didn't make this up. I heard that a certain Gadol Hador's wife had asked him what she should be davening and this was what she was told to do. I did not hear this firsthand, but if I am not mistaken, this was what she was told as the bare minimum if she did not have time for anything else.
1) don't go by stories of other people from a different age and status, get your own psak & ask your LOR what is most important for you to say.
2) do you allow them to disturb you when you go to the washroom? Treat SH"E the same way. if it's an emergency, you can stop in the middle of that too, but children learn that sometimes mommy can't be disturbed. it's good chinuch too.

drez

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:48 am
I DAVENED!!! Very Happy Thank you all for your chizzuk... Now I just hope to keep it up

grin

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:57 am
drez wrote:
I DAVENED!!! Very Happy Thank you all for your chizzuk... Now I just hope to keep it up
Thumbs Up

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 8:09 am
Why not daven WITH the kids?? Even if they consider it "singing time with Ema" it's better than nothing, and good chinuch...my kids love when I do this with them -- they even "daven" with their unborn sibling...

drez

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:58 pm
baby is only 9.5 months... she would not really understand.

grin

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 2:25 pm
drez wrote:
baby is only 9.5 months... she would not really understand.
that's the best time to start - you can sing parts out loud and she'll get used to the tunes and eventually sing along with you. then she'll be already on the road to davening being an integral part of her daily life.

(I didn't do this and my children complain about having to daven. Sad )

drez

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 2:55 pm
but I am lucky if I get in a Shemoneh Esrai... no singing there. I know that it is good for chinnuch... I just figure that if she sees me and if I have kavanah she will learn to daven like me and want to if she sees the effort I put in. Perhaps I can sing kabbalas Shabbos with her when Shabbos gets early again...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics