Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady clueless!

hipstamom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 3:51 pm
I'm new to the cleaning lady world; I have a few questions...

I'm in Brooklyn and she's coming from LI and she coming for 8 hours. My husband wants to give her a tip.

Do you ladies give your cleaning lady a tip? If so how much (% wise?)

I think that I should give her enough to cover train fare approx... $10.

He wants to give her 15% to 20%. For once, he thinks I'm being cheap, LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:01 pm
wait to see if you are satisfied with her work ... tipping to me would be jumping the gun ... but people usually tip when they are having to give someone else a cut of the monies ...

don't ask me - I don't know Scratching Head

hipstamom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:09 pm
I think that's why Hubster wants to give her a tip because she is coming from an agency. ITA that he's jumping the gun.

chanahlady

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:30 pm
If it's particularly difficult work, you may want to tip. If it's the regular cleaning of bathroom, kitchen, vacuuming, etc. I think her regular wages will do.

Do you plan on keeping her as your regular cleaning lady, or is it just a one-time thing? If she's going to be a regular, then she may expect to be tipped every single time.

hipstamom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:47 pm
chanahlady wrote:
If it's particularly difficult work, you may want to tip. If it's the regular cleaning of bathroom, kitchen, vacuuming, etc. I think her regular wages will do.

Do you plan on keeping her as your regular cleaning lady, or is it just a one-time thing? If she's going to be a regular, then she may expect to be tipped every single time.

This time, the house is a flying mess so yeah, Hubster is right and I should tip her.

If it works out, I plan on keeping her as a regular like once a week. So I want to tip her on the difficult stuff like Pesach cleaning but for regular stuff... not so much.

dorothy

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 4:47 pm
In general, the rule for tipping is, if they work for themselves, you dont tip. So, it would depend on if she is from an agency or not. But if I were you, if you were planning on keeping her as steady help, do not tip. Give her extra during holiday season or whatever.
I used to give my cleaning lady extra money if I didnt have change or something, and then when I gave her the regular pay she looked and me and said what happened?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:14 pm
Whenever there is a very hard week I give my cleaning lady a little extra. Normally it is just my & DH at home and work is easy. But sometimes the kids have all piled in and there's a lot more work or when there's more work before and after yom tov. Then I give her extra and tell her that I'm giving her more because there was more work (even though she still works the same number of hours) this week. She also occasionally works for me Friday night or Shabbos afternoon to wash dishes when I have a large crowd, and for times like that I also pay her a little extra in appreciation of her being available at times like that.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 8:16 pm
I don't give extra, my cleaning lady works by the hour and if I need more hours she gets paid for more hours. she works a minimum amount every week, but often there is extra work.

I give gifts or extra money at holiday times. (new year, usually)

sarahla

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 8:07 pm
deenoh3 wrote:
In general, the rule for tipping is, if they work for themselves, you dont tip. So, it would depend on if she is from an agency or not. But if I were you, if you were planning on keeping her as steady help, do not tip. Give her extra during holiday season or whatever.
I used to give my cleaning lady extra money if I didnt have change or something, and then when I gave her the regular pay she looked and me and said what happened?

I 100% agree...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics