Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshivos for Metzuyanim

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 3:01 pm
Some people get very upset about yeshivos that pick metzuyanim for their talmidim. Now I can understand that if a yeshiva is a community yeshiva, it cannot turn away students, but otherwise?

From my reading I see that yeshivos often (always?) picked and chose and those of superior capabilities were accepted. Some examples:

When R' Yehuda Chitrik a'h (just passed away at the age of 106) was accepted into the Tomchei Tmimim Lubavitch, it was no small accomplishment. About 80 boys sought to be accepted into the yeshiva and only 36 were accepted. And those who were rejected were often extremely bright and learned!

Another example, Rabbi Meir Shapiro's Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin:

Quote:
Lubliner bachurim were the cream of European b’nei Torah. An examiner visited various parts of Europe annually to determine which of the bachurim eagerly seeking entry met the Lublin standards. A bachur seeking admission was tested on several hundred blatt Gemara which he was expected to have memorized. Only the top-scoring applicants gained entry.

raizy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:38 pm
well it is time for yeshiva to cater to the regular kids and not the metzunum. the majority of kids are regular kids. and if not handled properly then they can gasveshalam fall away. or grow unintrested in torah. 60 % of the bacherum are reg kids and only 15 % are super duper. and of course their is 15% of the below reg kids. who have it extremely hard because all the yeshivas cater to the metuzum and not to the regular kids.

just my 0.02 cents

chavamom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:56 pm
I don't think it is a problem that there are yeshivos that cater to metzuyanim. The problem is when ALL yeshivos want to cater to metzuyanim and leave no place for those who might be more average.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 5:27 pm
I see no indication that all yeshivos want to cater to metzuyanim. On the contrary. I often see ads from yeshivos that make it clear that their goal is to reach every bachur.

and you know what raizy - when I took a special ed course, the gifted were included in the textbook

gifted kids have special needs too, and if those needs aren't met, they can also chas v'shalom drop out or if they don't go that far, they coast along since the shiurim are way below their level and they develop bad learning habits and don't reach anywhere near their potential

if the public is concerned about kids reaching their potential, it should apply just as much (if not more so) to bright children without learning problems as it does to bright children with learning problem or children who are average or below average

Mandy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:31 pm
Quote:
if the public is concerned about kids reaching their potential, it should apply just as much (if not more so) to bright children without learning problems as it does to bright children with learning problem or children who are average or below average

I agree. Oy.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:37 pm
oy?

Mandy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 6:44 pm
oy, we actually agree on something. Shehechianu.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 7:34 pm
oy vey! you agree! you are both finally right! LOL LOL
(in my opinion, anyway Smile )

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 8:59 pm
maybe I should reconsider my view then

just kidding Wink

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 12:33 am
And I also agree. However, I don't find that the yeshiva actually caters to every bachur. With all of my children, I didn't find that the yeshiva helped bring out anyone's potential in an individualized way. Meaning that no lessons, strategies or anything were aimed at, or tailored for specifically my child.

chavamom

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 12:41 am
OK, I agree too.

My above comment was more related to Israeli yeshivos (the ones for Israelis, not the ones that American kids go to after high school). The average or below average bochur can have a very hard time of it.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 1:20 am
so, chavamom, you are talking about "Yeshivah Gedolah", as differentiated from Yeshiva Ketana (Mesivta)?

raizy

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:01 am
yes motek u are right . now let me go wash my mouth out with soap Smile but most above average kids do just fine. whereas the slow learner below average kids are always struggleing and drop out faster!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics