Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
??Detroit OR Montreal??

dina

Post Mon, Dec 27 2004, 8:13 pm
I currently live in Detroit and potentially thinking of moving to Montreal. Can anyone give me some info regarding the Lubavitch schools in Montreal. Is it like the Lubavich school in Detroit? How is the chassidishkeit in Montreal? How are the schools (boys and girls) compared to Detroit? Although my two gilrs do not attend school YET, I would like to make sure I am making the right move.

I appreciate any comments.

Yael

Post Mon, Dec 27 2004, 9:42 pm
I know that the schools in detroit for girls do not teach english. here in montreal the girls ARE taught both english and french. the boys have optional french (includes general studies not just the language), I'm pretty sure they get english. but english (the subject) for both is less than the french.
in my opinion both schools are very intense in learning. long days for young kids, (my personal pet peeve). but I think its a very good education. truth is I could probably repeat to you all the complaints I've heard from people but I dont know of the good points b/c my kids arent in school yet.
most of the complaints have to do with the administration. not so much the actual education. and that the classes are really big for boys classes.

dina

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 10:54 am
thanks yael. but how is the limudei kodesh program in Montreal since they learn so much french. I know here in detroit it's limudei kodesh the whole day which maybe could be better but I'm not sure?? I've heard that some parents teach their kids english at home I wonder how that works out.

Yael

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 5:13 pm
from what I've seen in the girls school it looks like they learn very well. no child gets left behind, they have programs to help a struggling student.
I think the level is very good. in elementary school for sure, high school I've heard a few complaints but I wouldnt know. for the boys I honestly dont know, I know they learn to read hebrew at age 5 and are learning chumash in first grade. beyond that it used to be pretty bad, (I.e. only some kids got an education every one else was left behind), but now I think they have improved but I dont know how much.

proudmom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 5:43 pm
(from age 5) if you want your boys to learn english they can stay later every day till 4:30.

mommy2

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 8:27 pm
I went to Bais Rivka in montreal. The limudei kodesh is on an average level. They dont have much yiddish but its well organized. The high school is ok. The subjects are on average level, and some of the teachers are good. There are girls from all kinds of backrounds in the school. Ive heard of schools like chicago where it seems it s on a much higher level. The boys garderie is very good, organized. The boys elementary has some good rebbes and some that ought not to be there. The place is not well run at all. In general I would say bais rivka is in general more organized but the yeshiva is more chassidish but needs a good makeover.

Tovah

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 10:39 am
my sister in law goes to bais rivkah high school and from what my mother in law says it's really good, she's really impressed, but there are a big mix of girls which can be nice as long as you michanich your kids at home.

boys school is ok from what I heardi don't have any kids there. the elementary could be better but they are tring to improve with 2 rebbi's by helping kids who have a harder time. but the girls school is much better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating