Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
KBD potato kugel
1  2  Next

nicole81

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 11:04 am
Can anyone here please take the time to share this recipe with me? I would love to make it today for Shabbos.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:45 pm
bump... anyone???

wanderer

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:59 pm
Which KBD cookbook is it from?

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:03 pm
I think the original one.

wanderer

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:14 pm
Here you go :-) :

Traditional Potato Kugel

1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
8 medium potatoes
2 medium onions, quartered
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
5 large eggs, beaten with a whisk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the oil in a large 9 x 13 inch rectangular baking pan; set aside.

Fill a large bowl with cold water and add some ice cubes. Peel the potatoes and place them into the bowl of cold water. This will prevent them from turning brown.

Finely chop the onions in the container of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Remove them into a large bowl. Cut the potatoes into chunks and place them into the food processor, process until almost smooth. Add the potatoes to the onions. Add the salt, pepper and sugar to the potato mixture. Add the eggs and stir until thoroughly combined.

Place the baking pan with oil into the oven. When the oil sizzles, carefully remove from oven and spoon some of it into the potato mixture. This will help make the kugel fluffy. Mix well. Pour potatoes into the oiled pan. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.

Yield: 12-14 servings.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:17 pm
thanks so much for typing that all out!!

I'm on a quest for the perfect potato kugel for dh, ans so far none have hit the spot. maybe this one will do it!

wanderer

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:19 pm
nicole81 wrote:
thanks so much for typing that all out!!

I'm on a quest for the perfect potato kugel for dh, ans so far none have hit the spot. maybe this one will do it!

You're welcome!

It's very different from the one I usually make, and I've never actually tried it. Hope it works out for you :-) G'luck.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:23 pm
I always make this one, but skip the sugar. It doesn't need it and gives it a weird taste.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:27 pm
cassandra wrote:
I always make this one, but skip the sugar. It doesn't need it and gives it a weird taste.

thanks for the info.

do you find that it's salty enough? my husband likes things with a lot of taste. the last kugel I made he thought I skipped the salt and onions!

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:51 pm
Yes, definitely salty enough.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:53 pm
Funny, I always halve the sugar! LOL I think it's salty enough. This is my all-time favorit kugel recipe!! When I make it I usually mix the eggs and spices first, then process the onions and mix with the eggs, then process the potatoes and add them to the mix right away so that the potatoes don't turn orange. I don't bother heating the oil first, I just mix it in at the end. Good luck!

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:08 am
I do heat the oil. I think it makes a big difference.

elf123

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:12 am
I make a big batch of these and freeze them...they freeze great as long as you wrap them well and reheat them thoroughly...and Cassandra's right, preheating the oil does make a difference...makes it very fluffy...

csb

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:13 am
I make this kugel every week. A few times I have made it without sugar, but DH and I like it better with the sugar. I also think that heating the oil makes a difference. This kugel is def. salty enough, sometimes if I only make six potatos and have to adjust the measurements, it comes out too salty.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:20 am
nicole81 wrote:

For the first few years that I was married, I tried recipe after recipe and for some reason every potato kugel I made flopped... until I tried this recipe. I make it every week, and it has never let me down!

Blair

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 7:21 am
I would take out the sugar no need for it.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:09 pm
what size pan do you bake it in? would it be too much for an 8x8?

sgr

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:39 pm
It's the one I have been making for a couple of years,great recipe.

costanza

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:43 pm
I don't think the reason for heating the oil is to make it fluffy. It is to temper the eggs so they get cooked gradually. Otherwise you could have scrambled eggs.

MrsLeo

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 5:26 pm
I made this recipe in half and it came our REALLY sweet. I dont know if this is how it's supposed to taste or if I put too much sugar cuz I didnt measure exactly half of 2.5 TBSP. I'm gonna try it again next week without the sugar. Other than the sugar part it came out really fluffy and looks really good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes