Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Buying A Megillah

Chanie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:14 pm
I'd love to buy a megillah. Arizal preferably Alte Rebbe. Anyone know where I can get a good price? Please be more specific then "Israel", a store name or person of contact would be nice. Or maybe someone has a husband who is a sofer and wants to give me a really good deal Wink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:31 pm
I have connections to a sofer. PM me for more details.

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:39 pm
see that it's computer checked

we bought a megilla and on Purim found an error in a supposedly computer checked megilla Rolling Eyes which wasn't

exchanged it for another megilla

found another error, this one could be corrected

I was quite annoyed.

Tefila

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:40 pm
Join the club motek thats what happend to us too Rolling Eyes

Chanie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 4:49 pm
I'm trying to buy one for my dh as a gift... I don't know anything about it, other then I know it's s/t he wants.. I want to surprise him with one.

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 5:01 pm
that's quite a gift! $500 will get you a barebones basic

$850 and up is more like it!

hmm, it's a wonderful surprise but at the same time, you've got to be SURE he wants it and be sure what type he wants (maybe you can arrange in the store that he can pick what he wants or exchange it?)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 5:43 pm
I am considering buying a megillah for my husband! Should I surprise him and just get what the store offers or give him the money and he should choose one?

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 7:15 pm
amother for sure let him go himself and pick it out himself - most guys love the idea of going to check out the megillahs, speaking to the sofer about them etc.

Some pple prefer what's called vov amudim - a megillah that consists of only 6 columns of writing and each column starts with the word hamelech.

Tovah

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 10:53 pm
why not try our sofrim, motek I never heared of one as low as 500 here they run btw 1000 and for a good one which most men want is 2000 us.

queen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 8:23 am
what makes a megilla more (or less) mehuder.... or more expensive. or cheap?

elisecohen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 8:18 pm
My grandmother (boruch Hash-m, both my grandmothers are alive and well, both at the age of 86, both living independently) has one treasure my dh and I hope to inherit; the rest of the family can have everything else. It is a megillah, and what makes it special is it is one of two things my grandfather obm and his brother were able to get out of Germany. The other was a sefer Torah, but the two of them had to sell that when they reached the US to have money on which to live. Believe it or not, the evil Germans (may they suffer) stole everything from the two of them from their books to their underwear as they left--absolutely everything except the sefer Torah and Megillat Esther!

My grandmother has the megillah in a display box on her wall, and it brings tears to my eyes whenever I see--or even think about--it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 8:55 pm
I wouldn't spend that much on something not returnable! Discuss it first.

chen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 9:36 pm
something like that dh should definitely have input on. either go with him to pick it out or have him go to pick it out and you pay for it. (you may want to give him a max dollar amt that you are willing to spend.)

when I wanted to buy dh a new tallis I asked him to select his own (he works in an area with many judaica stores and there are none where we live or where I work). I actually did not give him a dollar amt, just told him to pick out what he wanted. this was a good move, b/c what I would have bought was nothing like what he selected.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 4:53 am
I told my husband once that I would like to get him a megillah (he really wants one already) and he told me to please not buy it for him, but let him choose it himself.

BTW, I think that the reason you so often find megillahs with errors in them is that the first thing that beginning sofrim write is megillahs because there's no shem Hashem in them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics