Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Young Mothers Fasting Taanes

ektsm

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:17 am
Do you fast on the taanes even if you don't have a nursing baby or are pregnant? TO the older mothers, when did you start fasting? Or did you?

hisorerus

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 1:12 am
Don't most girls start fasting when they are Bas Mitzva? Or are you asking when they restarted?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 1:39 am
When I'm not preg. or nursing I always fast. I don't know of a heter for otherwise. (it's easier????)

When I was preg. or nursing, I had a feeling of wishing I could be part of something all Klal Yisrael was doing in strengthening our connection to Hashem through this act of teshuvah. IOW, when I wasn't able to, I had a stronger sense of what it was about.

Like the Rebbe RaShab (?) said, "fasten is nisht daren" fasting doesn't mean to just starve; while we fast it may seem to be a purely physical discomfort, we are enjoined to realize that that is not enough, but fasting is part of introspection and teshuvah. A taanis tzibur is an "eis ratzon")auspicious time) on high.

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 11:41 pm
With my first son, I was very early pregnant for Purim and fasted. It didn't even occur to me not to.
Well, when I almost passed out I decided not to be so "frum" next time. It felt really wierd to be eating when everyone else was not, almost wrong, but it actually made the experience alot "holier" than when I fasted because I was eating for a "holier" purpose.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 12:15 am
I always fasted before I was married, but DH is of the custom of only fasting Tisha b'Av and Yom Kippur (I'm not sure where he gets this from.) So my first married Purim I didn't fast. Then last year I was 9 months pregnant and this year I'm 6 months pregnant, so I won't be fasting. However, I'd like to start next year again. I think I'm going to encourage DH to fast this year, too.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:54 am
I guess in thias aspect I'm lucky to be Satmar. Most women do not fast in my circl3es except yom kippur and tisha b'av. Some women do, but many don't. Don't know exactly what the reasoning is, ecept that we're considered 'weak.' Pregnant women CERTAINLY dont fast on minor fast days, and this past tisha b'av I was in my 8th month and my doctor warned me not to fast (I have a history of miscarriage) and the rav agreed I souldnt fast. It felt strange but let me tell you, by 11 p.m. I was famished and thirsty and counted the hours til morning. Had I gone through Y.K. pregnant I'd have had to fast - there is just no heter for YK unless you're really ill or something - but I gave birth early so I had a six week old baby on YK and it went really easy.

Pg ppl should ask their doctors and posek if they are mechuyev to fast.

queen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 8:13 am
Mindy wrote:
I gave birth early so I had a six week old baby on YK and it went really easy.

so glad mindy it worked out for you!

supermommy

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 9:47 am
I fast when I can while pregnant or nursing and if I feel like I can't or won't be able to I call a rav. Otherwise I fast. Although some people I know won't fast because they are horrible fasters and can't take care of their children while fasting. I wonder what a rav would say about that.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:00 am
queen wrote:
Mindy wrote:
I gave birth early so I had a six week old baby on YK and it went really easy.

so glad mindy it worked out for you!
I guess the fact that I was bottlefeeding really helped. Nursing mothers have a much harder time.

Frumom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:14 am
I would think in order not to fast besides for being preg/nursing/sick, you would need to get a heter, no?

Milk Munch

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:23 am
If you are pregnant, I think you only need to ask for Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note