Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Sephardic cholent?

lizza1984

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 11:53 am
What is it that Sephardim eat on Shabbat? A friend of mine said it's called chamim or something like that. Does anyone know how to make it?

Starhavah

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:01 pm
lizza1984 wrote:
What is it that Sephardim eat on Shabbat? A friend of mine said it's called chamim or something like that. Does anyone know how to make it?

Chamin (means hot in Hebrew) is just like cholent. Same thing - meat, beans, barley, potatoes, onions, garlic. The spices might be a bit different from Ashkenazi cholent though.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:13 pm
Meat, chick peas, potatoes, garlic, chitah. Lots of paprika. The chitah is cooked in a separate bag with lots of garlic and oil. Salt and pepper. Hard boiled eggs if you like that.

This is how a sefardic lady makes chamin in our shul.

fish

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:16 pm
this is how we make it:

meat (flanken)
bones (preferable knee)
whole potatoes
sweet potatoes
chic peas
eggs (optional)

honey
cinnamin
paprika
onion powder
salt

tovasmom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:16 pm
The authentic Morroccan cholent is called "Dafina" or "Adafina" and is made with meat, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, barley or wheat, the cooked eggs are a must, and the spices include saffron and honey. Middle eastern Chamin is a bit different.

willow

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:20 pm
I used to make this delicious chamim when I came back from Israel. I got the recipe from this Israeli Sephardi family that I loved going to. It was the best. I don't remember as it was years ago but the rice, meat and eggs were all in different bags and seasoned different with lots of fresh herbs and garlic. YUMMM

lizza1984

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:30 pm
Its just regular cholent then. I usually add lots of spices to my cholent, diced-fried potatoes and some red wine or Johny walker.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:37 pm
lizza1984 wrote:
What is it that Sephardim eat on Shabbat?

It differs by country and even area.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 1:15 pm
We eat different foods each week, not necessarily Sephardic chulent. Each "edah" makes it differently.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 7:40 pm
Iraqis/Bhagdadis have Tabeet, which is a whole chicken stuffed with rice and cubed steaks, cooked around pilov-like rice. Rather delicate spices, cardamon, cinnamon and ginger. Rice MUST have crusts on the bottom but not burnt. No eggs.

My chamim is made from wheatberries (not in a separate bag), chickpeas, beans (pinkish mottled ones, kidney beans), LOTS of sauteed onions. We don't use potatos, occasionally sweet potato or butternut squash. For spices, combination of LOTS of paprika, cumin, cinnamon and a very small bit of harissa. We don't use honey, but put 3 dates in the pot. Chamim eggs are MUST. Marrow bones are also great.
Sometimes we add a small-ish meatloaf with herbs (mint and corriander), or make vegetarian version with veggie burgers. I think it's a crossover Moroccan-Tetuan/Tuni-style. My tunisienne friend makes one with fried spinach confit and white beans, greenish colour looks alarmingly odd but tastes quite nice.

We eat other things on shabbat lunch--different kinds of salatim, olives (green, never black), pescados fritos (served room temp), crustless quiche, burekas, jachnoon, definitely rice.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:35 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Iraqis/Bhagdadis have Tabeet, which is a whole chicken stuffed with rice and cubed steaks, cooked around pilov-like rice. Rather delicate spices, cardamon, cinnamon and ginger. Rice MUST have crusts on the bottom but not burnt. No eggs.

My chamim is made from wheatberries (not in a separate bag), chickpeas, beans (pinkish mottled ones, kidney beans), LOTS of sauteed onions. We don't use potatos, occasionally sweet potato or butternut squash. For spices, combination of LOTS of paprika, cumin, cinnamon and a very small bit of harissa. We don't use honey, but put 3 dates in the pot. Chamim eggs are MUST. Marrow bones are also great.
Sometimes we add a small-ish meatloaf with herbs (mint and corriander), or make vegetarian version with veggie burgers. I think it's a crossover Moroccan-Tetuan/Tuni-style. My tunisienne friend makes one with fried spinach confit and white beans, greenish colour looks alarmingly odd but tastes quite nice.

We eat other things on shabbat lunch--different kinds of salatim, olives (green, never black), pescados fritos (served room temp), crustless quiche, burekas, jachnoon, definitely rice.

How do you get a crust on the bottom? ????

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 6:24 am
My community has rice with chicken and its sort of tomato-ey. I never make it though.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 7:38 am
the trick for crusty-bottom is to leave the pot (thicker the better, with a tight lid) over a VERY low heat (plata is perfect) for like 20-30min. It's harder to do in an oven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics