Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do u use a slow cooker

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 11:13 am
I'm finding making supper when I get home to tiring. I have a crockpot that I use for my cholent. I know I cld put up supper in the morning in it too. Just wondered, do any of u do that? how does the food taste? any recipes? ideas?

Btw, if u don't use a slow-cooker, what are other techniques to the supper issue?

tport

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 12:32 pm
My sister just got one and is planning and putting up meals before she goes to work. You can make a lot of things: soups, stews, rice and chicken.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 1:02 pm
I have an old crock pot cookbook if you want me to look up any recipes for you.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 3:48 pm
I have made:

Vegetable Soup
Russian Chicken
Meatloaf
Various Stews

and would love to try more. The crockpot is a wonderful invention, and I use it especially on days when I get home from work right by dinnertime. I am in the process of looking for easy and tasty recipes...it's great to come home and say, "What smells so good? Oh yeah, it's dinner!"

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:38 pm
Oh, that reminds me, my neighbor thought I didn't go to work b/c she always smelled such smells from our apt!

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 5:57 am
chicken wings and bbq sauce.
leave to cook.
eat.
simple

imasenior

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:01 pm
Six AM I am up, putting my "cholent" for the day, in my crockpot, the house smells DELICIOUS when I get home from work...but my kids really don't like it so much.
My "other technique" for a fast supper is SIMPLICITY, one, two max three ingredients per dish. There is a cookbook that specializes in this, can't remember the name.
Try it!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 9:30 pm
Although I don't do it often, I mean to and it's a great idea!
once I put something up before work, my mom who babysits in my house didn't realize for quite a while that the yummy smell wasn't coming from my upstairs neighbors!!
you can put up meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
soup.
meat.
I've made for Shabbos "TIBEET" - sfardic cholent in the Spice and Spirit Cookbook. You can make it during the week, if you want. Basically it's rice and chicken - VERY good!
good luck!

ektsm

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 8:03 pm
just put chicken, rice, water, an onion, and some garlic in to the slow cooker and put it on low. It will be ready when you get home.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 9:16 pm
It's not the healthiest way to cook; there's nowhere for the fat to go.

beanmaidel

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 10:36 am
I used my crock pot to make dinner for the first time last night.. I put in:

onions - cut into 1/4 or slightly smaller
red skinned potatoes - cut into 1/4 or slightly smaller
some garlic cloves
sliced carrots
a few pieces of flanken
and 1/2 bottle of barbeque sauce and some water to cover everything (almost to top so it shouldnt boil out!) and 2 bay leaves..

It was so delish! My dh ate 3 bowls and I had 2 when I got home from work!

I am going to try rice, chicken, onions, paprika, garlic and water for Wednesday night dinner..

the best is I put the left overs in a regular pot so dh can heat it up and have again tonight if he wants (I would have frozen it but we dont really have a freezer)

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:31 am
I've made a few different chicken recipes that came out delicious. I've made meatballs and various soups too. I can post recipes if you want.
One thing I've heard is to keep the crockpot on high until it starts to simmer and only then turn it down to low b/c it isn't good to keep chicken at room temperature b/c then bacteria can grow.
In terms of fat, any time you make chicken and rice in one dish, you have the same issue!

When I'd work in the afternoons, I'd prepare homemade pizza or lasagna ahead and then just pop it in the oven when I got home.

DRV

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:40 am
Could people post more recipies that come out well please? I have never used a crookpot because I'm scared that it might burn or who knows what while I'm at work... I usually just things out of the freezer either after work or in the morning before I go. But if people are saying that they actively use it and there are no problems - I'll give it a try! But does it matter that it could be on the fire for around 12/13 hours. It's tax season now and my hours are NUTS!

Estee2

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:07 pm
Quote:
I've made meatballs and various soups too. I can post recipes if you want.

I'd love your meatball recipe for the Crock Pot !!
Smile

Frumom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:09 pm
I'd like to try making chicken and rice for dinner in the crock pot. How much rice do I put? Does the chicken go in first or the rice?
How much water?
I want it to cook after 4-5 hours, if I put it on high will that work?

Hope someone knows!
Thanks

amother

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 1:43 pm
Any lentil soup or chicken/potato recipes (or combo soup/chicken recipes) that people could post with exact amounts of ingredients and water? THANKS

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 1:59 pm
Here are some recipes. The 2nd one is our favorite. The 3rd one you really have to love peanut butter to enjoy it!

Crockpot Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 ½ cups sliced carrots
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp. quick cooking tapioca
2-3 ½ lb. chicken, cut up
8 oz. can pineapple chunks and juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
½ tsp. instant chicken bouillon
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp. ground ginger OR ½ tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 tsp. salt 1 tbsp. soy sauce

Place vegetables in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place chicken on top.
In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients, mix together. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over cooked rice

Orange Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 whole chicken breasts, halved or 6 chicken thighs
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
dash pepper
dash garlic powder
1 can of condensed mushroom soup
½ tsp. grated orange rind
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained ½ cup orange juice
2 tsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. flour

Place sweet potatoes in bottom of slow cooker. Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Combine flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, and garlic powder. Thoroughly coat chicken in flour mixture. Place on top of sweet potatoes. Combine soup with remaining ingredients. Stir well. Pour over chicken breasts. Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 3-4 hours. Serve over rice.

Peanut Butter 'N' Ginger Chicken

3 ½ pounds chicken pieces
¼ cup peanut butter
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. grated gingerroot
½ tsp. grated orange peel
2 tbsp. orange juice
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
2 green onions including some green tops sliced
cooked noodles or rice
Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, orange peel, juice and hot sauce until well blended. Stir in green onions.
Spoon over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW about 5 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve chicken over cooked noodles or rice.

Tangy Sweet & Sour Meatballs

This is my regular meatball recipe.
Make the balls and put them in the crockpot for 4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.

Meat Mixture:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup water
½ cup bread crumbs

Sauce:
1 can tomato sauce
1 can cranberry sauce
1 can condensed tomato soup (optional)

Soups - I put a can of diced tomatoes and veggies like sweet potatoes, potatoes, frozen veggies on high for a few hours.

Just reiterating my safety tip from before...
Quote:
One thing I've heard is to keep the crockpot on high until it starts to simmer and only then turn it down to low b/c it isn't good to keep chicken at room temperature b/c then bacteria can grow.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 5:22 pm
last night I put in all the ingredients into a crockpot to make from the spice and spirit cookbook - Tibeet - a sfardic cholent. perfect for supper - rice, tomatoes and chicken and some good spices. I put it up this morning and now it smells yummm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics