Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Sephardic Lamb

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 8:50 pm
How do Sephardim cook lamb? dh's mother is Moroccan and likes food his mom's style. Splurged on some lamb for the holidays (was expensive so I don't want to mess it up ) and want to be sure I make something he likes.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:31 am
It really depends on what cuts of lamb you have. If you have a good roasting meat, all I do is
rub the spice mix (I'll describe) generously with a bit of oil, sprinkle some salt, roast, carve and serve.

I get spice mix from kosher supermarkets in Paris. Ingredients are paprika, cumin, cinnamon,
allspice, mint, cayenne, ground rose. It's actually spice mix for the koufftas (meatballs) but
works really nice with lamb chops. Not spicy but very pleasant and aromatic.

If it is tougher cuts for stewing, I would stew with chopped onions (first sautee till lightly browned), tomato sauce and chickpeas. But this is more Iraqi. Or you can do very hearty lamb soup with
red lentils, carrots, and cumin. Sprinkle chopped corriander, fresh squeezed lemon juice and harira (hot chilli-garlic paste).

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 7:05 am
Can you not ask his mother or one of his sisters?

mimivan

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 8:18 am
Not really...I need to watch to get the specific amounts of spices..she doesn't work in terms of teaspoons, tablespoons etc...

I've tried getting recipes from the phone from her, but it never works as well as watching her...and even though I can speak some really pashut ivrit, there is a language barrier.

mimivan

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 8:20 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
It really depends on what cuts of lamb you have. If you have a good roasting meat, all I do is
rub the spice mix (I'll describe) generously with a bit of oil, sprinkle some salt, roast, carve and serve.

I get spice mix from kosher supermarkets in Paris. Ingredients are paprika, cumin, cinnamon,
allspice, mint, cayenne, ground rose. It's actually spice mix for the koufftas (meatballs) but

If it is tougher cuts for stewing, I would stew with chopped onions (first sautee till lightly browned), tomato sauce and chickpeas. But this is more Iraqi. Or you can do very hearty lamb soup with
red lentils, carrots, and cumin. Sprinkle chopped corriander, fresh squeezed lemon juice and harira (hot chilli-garlic paste).

yes b'h these are nicer cuts so I"ll take the first suggestion. I don't know if I can get that mix, but I can put all those things together or maybe I can find it at an Israeli supermarket. Thanks.

cubbie

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 8:29 am
My MIL (Moroccan) stews lamb with turmeric, chicken soup powder, a little olive oil, salt, pepper and water (enough to cover the lamb) and jerusalem artichokes
First she puts the lamb just in water brings it to the boil and then drains it and washes it
Then she puts it in a pan with all the ingredients except the jerusalem artichokes brings it to the boil then covers it and cooks it on a low heat for 2 hours, then she adds the jerusalem artichokes brings it to the boil again, and cooks it on a low heat until they are soft and most of the water has been absorbed.

mimivan

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 8:34 am
Yum...all these lamb stew recipes!
Now I'm kind of regretting not having ordered the stew meat...would have saved me some shekels too!

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 9:25 am
be happy u didnt have to use a lamb's head for the table!!!
I wish I had of thought of ordering lamb this year,we are having roast

Ilovechoumous

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 9:35 am
we splurge on a shoulder of lamb 2x a year (RH and Pessach). Dh is sephardic, this is what we do:

lay out the lamb, put rosemary and use a knife to make spaces to put in garlic, do lots of them,
put spinach leaves (the frozen kind, make sure that its eilim and not chopped), halve lots of garlic and put it inside and mix in chickpeas. put some olive oil on top. salt and pepper to taste. vezehu, pashut and always delicious.

good luck and chag sameach.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:52 am
I put mine in the crock pot. sprinkle cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper on top. add a bit of water. and DONE! simple and delish! lamb is so tasty you dont always need to drown it in spices unless youre going for a specific flavor.

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:28 am
Well, I cooked my lamb chops very basic, but I had an idea at the last minute to make them more Italian style, with oregano, garlic white wine, rosemary salt and pepper. Dh and I liked them this way.

They were really yummy, but I think I should have saved my agarot and bought stew pieces instead. There is not much lamb on those chops (they cook up and there is a lot of fat on them and bone). I am sure the shoulder would have been good too. I found these lamb stew recipes here so mouth watering, I might get the stew pieces next time around.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:25 am
mimivan wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:

yes b'h these are nicer cuts so I"ll take the first suggestion. I don't know if I can get that mix, but I can put all those things together or maybe I can find it at an Israeli supermarket. Thanks.

You can get any mix or make your own in Pereg in the shuk. They are very helpoful. Each family or basta has its own mix.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics