Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sibling rivalry

cbh

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:32 am
Help!
I b'h gave birth to a baby girl 2 weeks ago. My older dd, 13 months old, feels threatened by younger sibling. She begs to be held all day which I assumed would be, and I try to hold her, hug her whenever I can. When I tend the baby though, she starts acting wild. She tries to pull the baby out of my hand, slaps the baby, etc. I sit her down next to me when I nurse the baby, and I read her books and I make the baby 'kiss" her. Nothing helps! She just hates the baby! Any ideas on how to make my kids be good sisters and friends?

mom71

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:34 am
keep giving her all the attention and love she wants and needs. Don't show her that he baby is taking away her space

sho770

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 9:09 am
My oldest daughter is 21 months, and I just had a baby girl a month ago.
B"H" I don´t have your problem, all seems tobe well, except when my oldest daugter is tired, themn she might scratch the baby or hit her, indeed. But then I take the baby away from hr an maybe put her in bed - because tat´s often sign that she´s tired.

In the afternoon, when my husband comes home, I "retreat" to my room with the baby, for a more comfortable feeding time without having to bother controlling what the oldest does, since she´s then under her father´s surveillance. Sometimes they go out for a walk, to the park, play ball, etc.
Quality time with daddy, whom she loves.

Of course, since she walks, maybe that doesn´t apply to your oldest, but going out for a walk with daddy, even sitting in a stroller, is fine too. And it´s good for daddy as well.
The idea is to disctract her from the baby at least once during the day, so she won´t have it all the time in front of her, that might be hard for her to cope with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics