Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wasting time, doing nothing

acccdac

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 2:13 pm
so I am a teacher which means that during the year I work and I'm off now for 10 weeks, I have 6 more weeks to go.

I feel like all I do is lazy around and do nothing. I am trying to at least enjoy myself and try and use it as a rejuvination so when work starts again I can do it well. Some of my friends say to me, you work hard during the year just enjoy your vacation, soak it up and use it to its fullest, however I think of my husband working hard and I feel guilty. I did try and get myself a job for the summer and all I was able to get was to teach a class for 10 hours. I will be doing that after tisha b'av, for 2 weeks.

I have 2 kids who are both in camp, one till 12:30 and the other till 2:30. I have cleaning help, she is my babysitter as well and I couldnt risk loosing her, I trust her and she is great with my kids and she'll be watching my younger son when I work next year.

I cant seem to keep to a schedule or be productive.

I also feel bad because my husband will come home after a hard day at work and I think he's jealous that I am not doing anything. Plus there are little things that could be done around the house, like putting some of the kid's toys away, that I dont do, and he hasnt said anything but I think he feels "you were home all day why didnt you do it" and the truth is that thought is right.

I want to blame it on the 3 weeks/9days becuase the whole day I keep on saying to myself, you have a half hour before you have to do whatever, so just turn on some music and go make the beds and straighten up (today my help isnt here), and then I remember that I cant listen to music. I depend a lot on music, I dont mind running errand after errand, I just like my music to get me around.

I am also trying not to spend on anything other than groceries but with the extra time I feel like I should go out with friends and have fun. During the year I am probably social once a month at most, and I drag myself so I dont destroy my relationships and becuase in the end I know ill have fun.

I think I did a lot of rambling and dont know if I made any sense.

any adivce? tips?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:42 pm
Is there a reason you didn't take a summer job or a reason why you don't need to catch up on things you neglected during the year?

For example, I don't love cleaning out under the sink or organizing the Tupperware but every legal holiday I force myself to do such things, since I don't get to do them otherwise.

Why do you pay for camp & a cleaning lady when you're home? Maybe your dh resents that.

bluebird

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 7:05 pm
Is there anything that you can do now in preparation for the rest of the year when you're teaching? Get a head start on creating/revising lesson plans? Looking at the overall way you do things and trying to improve and streamline them? Household projects that you've been putting off? Deep cleaning, purging, and organizing? (after Tisha B'av, of course)?

acccdac

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 7:06 pm
I tried getting tutoring jobs but people are not really spending that money now, and schools are out so there is no teaching job availbe and any other job I call them "stapling jobs" (a job that requires me to answer phones and stuff envelopes) there arent that many and no one is going to hire me for 8 weeks when they can hire someone who will stay forever at the job.

I spent the first week doing what you described. All my school papers are in order, my garage is immaculate, kids clothes taken care of, plus like I said I have a housekeeper all the time during the year so things like organizing my tupperware and cleaning windows get done all year long since my son naps for a good 2-3 hours while she's here.

the only reason my younger son is in camp is cause my father is paying for it, I was going to keep him home since im here and the housekeeper. I needed to keep my housekeeper cause I need her here starting september to continue watching my son. I got her to work for me becuase someone let her go during a 6 months period when she wasnt needed (dont worry I knew this before, spoke with the other person, assumed the housekeeper would leave 6 months later, but wasnt needed, plus she wanted to stay with me). I have cut her hour and she only works 15 hours a week verses the 30 hours a week during the school year.

I dont know that my dh resents it, I resent it for him, maybe my problem is I need to talk to him about it and see if he does, just so its out in the open, although there is not much I can do about it.

did I answer your questions

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 8:01 pm
acccdac wrote:
I tried getting tutoring jobs but people are not really spending that money now, and schools are out so there is no teaching job availbe and any other job I call them "stapling jobs" (a job that requires me to answer phones and stuff envelopes) there arent that many and no one is going to hire me for 8 weeks when they can hire someone who will stay forever at the job.

you never know. some places need seasonale help or a temp. did you think to work in camp ?

[quote="acccdac"]I spent the first week doing what you described. All my school papers are in order, my garage is immaculate, kids clothes taken care of, plus like I said I have a housekeeper all the time during the year so things like organizing my tupperware and cleaning windows get done all year long since my son naps for a good 2-3 hours while she's here.
Quote:

Too bad you didn't stretch it out, like going to a shiur in the am, doing something in teh house, then doing shopping or meeting a friend or whatever.

[quote="acccdac"]plus like I said I have a housekeeper all the time during the year so things like organizing my tupperware and cleaning windows get done all year long since my son naps for a good 2-3 hours while she's here.

the only reason my younger son is in camp is cause my father is paying for it, I was going to keep him home since im here and the housekeeper. I needed to keep my housekeeper cause I need her here starting september to continue watching my son. I got her to work for me becuase someone let her go during a 6 months period when she wasnt needed (dont worry I knew this before, spoke with the other person, assumed the housekeeper would leave 6 months later, but wasnt needed, plus she wanted to stay with me). I have cut her hour and she only works 15 hours a week verses the 30 hours a week during the school year.

I dont know that my dh resents it, I resent it for him, maybe my problem is I need to talk to him about it and see if he does, just so its out in the open, although there is not much I can do about it.

did I answer your questions

well, ,that's debateable. I also have kids, also work fulll time, and never had any paid help.

Tefila

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 10:25 pm
Op u know some of us work much better under pressure that is why they say if you want something done get a busy person to do it. I too work better under pressure and get more accomplished I find I have to discipline myself when I do noo have my day cut out for me. So I too have 10 weeks vacation beforei go back to school what I have done is enrolled as a volunteer in the hospital visiting and learning with some patients there. I will be painting my deck iy"h and just finished painting the kitchen. Try op to have it tidy when your husband gets home so not only will he appreciate you more but you will feel a whole lot more accomplished.

Pizza

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 2:29 pm
I find that when I am first on vacation, I need a week or two to veg, then I make a list for myself of tasks that I would like to do. if you do even half of them, you are ahead of the game

when I was in school, with a family, and a live-in, then I used vacations and summer to cook for the freezer - soups, cakes, kugels, etc - to make meal prep and shabbos easier when I started back.

you could also try to give your kids special experiences - I.e. jcc pool, childrens museums, hikes in national parks, etc with ima... and special one-on-one time, as long as you are keeping the babysitter. take a kid out to pizza, or shopping for shabbos, ask them to pick out what they prefer for dessert, or side dish... ask their opinion on which napkins to buy, etc etc... take one kid to the park, and give them one-on-one attention!

what a great opportunity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics