Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What does a Carlbach style wedding mean?

raspberry tea

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 2:28 am
Israeli cousin is getting married and we were told it will be a carlbach wedding. So just wondering....what exactly does that mean?

If anyone could offer some insight, I'd appreciate it. Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 2:45 am
Very colorful and lively. 60s or peasant style clothing. Modern music with emphasis on the niggunim of R' Shlomo. Definitely more casual and often outside.

tomorrow

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 2:58 am
and typically runs very, very late. The dancing is often more of a jumping kind of thing than circle dancing. I was at one of these and really thought the hall would have benefitted from installing a trampoline instead of a dance floor.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:04 am
you might expect it to be more liberal concerning men and women mixing than a regular Orthodox wedding...or then again you might not...I know that Reb Shlomo was more liberal about this and was known to embrace the kallah sometimes.

raspberry tea

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:08 am
mimivan wrote:
you might expect it to be more liberal concerning men and women mixing than a regular Orthodox wedding...or then again you might not...I know that Reb Shlomo was more liberal about this and was known to embrace the kallah sometimes.

I was wondering about that.....

do you think they would have separate seating?? The boy is frum and in yeshiva but his parents are not at the same level.....

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:24 am
you'd really have to ask them...there is a whole range.
I am friendly with a Carlebach couple which are practically Chabad in terms of separation between men and women...I would think there would be a mechitza..but then others are more liberal...it is kind of hard to tell not knowing who the people are.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:31 am
I have been to a lot of these because a number of years back this was all the rage in yishuvim. Outside of Yitzhar there was often dancing in two circles, no mechitza. For these I generally come for the chuppa. A lot of the girls standing around watching the guys. In our yishuv the rav simply does not allow mixed events without a mechitza and does not generally do the wedding outside if there is no mechitza. The hashkafa of families of course is also reflected sometimes. I was at a wedding where there was a men's, women's and "family" section.

But there is a difference, I think, between the DL who are into Carlibach and those really connected to the whole Moshav Modiin scene where much more goes.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 4:07 am
I went to one once. I remember a rally long bedeken. Instead of just covering the kallah and leaving it became an entire song and story event. Probably lasted close to an hour.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 5:26 am
Yes, long badeken. Reb Shlomo was notoriously late for smachot (especially weddings)...and the tradition continues.

As for the "mixing"...just because Reb Shlomo felt it appropriate to give the kallah a hug doesn't mean he espoused such behaviour for everyone.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 6:39 am
I was at that type of wedding. The girls were behind mechitzot. They wore strange clothing, jumped around a lot and looked like they were in a trance.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 7:17 am
Long, very very long.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 7:26 am
I attended a REAL Carlebach wedding in 1982 or thereabouts. Rav Shlomo gathered everyone around the chosson and kallah and spoke about how children are so, so holy. Under the chupah he said to my father , "Could you please hold my guitar?" It was not my wedding! But he invited the guests to join him under the chupah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions