Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Best way to approach cleaning lady? (long)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 4:26 am
My cleaning lady does not do a good job, at all, when it comes to general cleaning. Specific tasks, like cleaning out the defrosted freezer, she does brilliantly (except she didn't bother cleaning out the vegetable rack the other day even though I asked her to. And no, there weren't any rotting vegies in there for her to remove. It just smelled and needed a good clean.) However, she has yet to empty the garbage cans in the bathrooms, clean out my shower or mop my kitchen floor properly. I have asked her repeatedly to do these specific things but she "forgets".

I honestly believe she's just too exhausted to do them. She only works for about 2 hrs and wont take anything to eat/drink. I do not ask her to do anything outrageous at all and certainly don't expect her to wash the floor on her hands and knees.

She is having a tough time at home and has three boys not to mention a husband who is, and I quote, "Just lazy!"

I can not fire her and do not want to, for various reasons. I was thinking of writing up a list of tasks for her to do each time she comes, but she's not stupid. She'll realize why I am doing it and I don't want to insult her. What would be the best approach?

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 6:58 am
I have similar situation with my cleaning lady who "forgets" when I tell her to do certain things and NEVER does anything extra. Additionally, she will argue with me about certain things, like if I ask her to wipe out the fridge she will say that to "properly" clean it she will need to defrost it. Uh, no, just take out the food and wipe! I find it funny that she makes a big deal about "properly" doing things and then does a schmear job on so much.

I guess I am just resigned to the fact that I have been spoiled in the past by an amazing, wonderful, cleaning lady that had an excellent work ethic and went "above and beyond" without asking.

sarahla

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:19 am
If you dont want to make a list, check her work before she leaves. Like 15 min before inspect the house and tell her: "before you leave, please do this and this and this" when she leaves ask her "did you do ....(list the things you asked her to do before she left"
you have to be behind CL because they "forget" and if you dont say anything they wont care bec they get away with not doing a proper job and being paid the same
good luck, hope this helps Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:29 am
if you're not going to fire her ... then show her what you want things cleaned by following her around and saying like this - then let her finish off ... after a few times she should be set and hopefully you more satisfied ...

levial

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 10:05 am
Sarahla's suggestion is what I'd do. And remember to be kind and praiseful too (The kitchen looks gorgeous. Thanks so much for getting to those little crannies...before you leave please don't forget to get the garbage from the cans).

I also used to break up the detailed stuff for each week - to save money. So the baseboards got done once/month, or the deep clean of the fridge another week...so that she didn't feel overwhelmed.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 9:44 am
I like the list idea. I would frame it the whole thing as though it's about you being sure you remember to ask. Just say "I'm so scatterbrained/busy/leaving today, so I wrote you up a list to make it easier." " I don't want to keep interrupting you." "I know you are trying to get a lot done, and you always do such great work...here's a list to help..."

amother

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 1:25 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. She hasn't been back since I last wrote this post. She and her family all have swine flu. I will definitely write it up, compliment her as I always do (she glows when I tell her what a great job she's done) and tell her I did it as not to keep bothering her.
Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette