Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Healthy Muffins

Hooray

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 2:06 am
I'm looking for a recipe for healthy muffins that my kids can eat for breakfast. Any suggestions?

sarah86

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 2:41 am
Banana Bran Chocolate Chip Muffins
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c bran
1 c chocolate chips

In bowl mix together (I do it with a hand mixer) bananas, eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add flour and baking soda. Fold in bran and chocolate chips. Spoon into muffin cups, bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. They freeze well, and recipe double very well. Better when the bananas have been frozen, and then defrosted. Yield 12 muffins.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 8:59 am
that's a lot of fat and sugar for a "healthy" muffin. I make ours with protein powder and flax seeds. you can get such recipes on spark people.

sky

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:09 pm
ETA: The first recipe is not muffins. They are pancakes. I had them marked wrong in my recipes and when I went to make it this morning I saw they were actually pancakes. I'm sorry if this messed anyone up.

Oat Blueberry Pancakes

Mix:
1/2 cup WW flour
1/2 cup flour (or WW)
2 T brown sugar
2 T baking pwdr
3/4 tsp salt

Mix and let soften:
1 1/2 cup oats
2 cup milk

Mix all together. Add:
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil or apple sauce
1 cup blueberries.

----

Banana Blueberry Muffins
3 bananas, mashed
2 T lemon juic + 1/3 cup milk (mix and let sit 5 minutes)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cup WW flour
3/4 tsp baking pwdr
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup blueberries

Bake 20 minutes at 350

Last edited by sky on Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Lovemylife

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:42 pm
sky, thanks for posting. Have you ever substituted any other fruits for blueberries?

sky

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:54 pm
We have tons of blueberries in our house right now between picking and the sales in the stores now so thats all I have used.

mommalah

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 8:48 pm
I use a recipe that I got from Allrecipes.com that my whole family loves. You cAn look up Low fat blueberry bran muffins on that site. It's somewhat similar to sky's recipe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 9:20 pm
I have a great recipe that I got from dd's nutritional therapist. It's made with flaxseed meal, oat bran, flour, carrots, apples, almonds... Nice amounts of omega 3 and some calcium. They're also delicious. If you'd like the recipe, let me know.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 9:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have a great recipe that I got from dd's nutritional therapist. It's made with flaxseed meal, oat bran, flour, carrots, apples, almonds... Nice amounts of omega 3 and some calcium. They're also delicious. If you'd like the recipe, let me know.

that's the kind of recipe I use and that's what I call healthy.

mommalah

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 9:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:

can you please post it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 11:29 pm
Bran Flax Muffins

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
2 peeled and shredded Apples
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together flour, flaxseed meal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins (if desired) and nuts. Combine milk, beaten eggs and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.

Yield: 15 medium muffins

NOTES:
Flaxseeds have a ton of Omega 3's. Once the seeds are ground into meal, they start losing the Omega 3 properties really quickly. So grind your own meal in a blender, and refrigerate any leftover meal ASAP.
I've used white flour.
I use rice or almond milk instead of dairy milk.
I use blanched almonds for the nuts. Extra calcium from the almonds, and the blanching adds more value.
I omit the raisins.

Hooray

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 5:09 am
Thanks everybody. My DD is allergic to milk - do you think I can substitute soy milk in those recipes?

sky

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 9:14 am
Hooray wrote:
Thanks everybody. My DD is allergic to milk - do you think I can substitute soy milk in those recipes?

I don't think it should be a problem.

Chippies

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 8:11 pm
There are a bunch of muffin recipes on the aish website, including healthy oat and whole wheat muffins with nuts and flax seeds. Generally speaking, all you need to do to a muffin recipe to make it healthy is use whole wheat flour instead of white (oats and cornmeal are also improvements over white flour), substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil (same quantity), and use a little less sugar than recommended. Adding fruit and nuts are a big plus as well!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 8:11 pm
Chippies wrote:
There are a bunch of muffin recipes on the aish website, including healthy oat and whole wheat muffins with nuts and flax seeds. Generally speaking, all you need to do to a muffin recipe to make it healthy is use whole wheat flour instead of white (oats and cornmeal are also improvements over white flour), substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil (same quantity), and use a little less sugar than recommended. Adding fruit and nuts are a big plus as well!

but then you lead more leavening to make it light. I wouldn't fool around with recipes myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins